Food to eat before a full marathon

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Will Butterworth
    on

Hi
    I went on this diet back in August and am at a happy 74kg, so now I sometimes have the occasional bad carbs, but mostly avoid them. However, I am running the Yorkshire Marathon in October, and wondered what sort of foods I should be eating prior to the race. Traditionally the advice is always lots of pasta the day before and then porridge in the morning. This of course is not what I am currently eating. Any advice?

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Knowing what I know now I wouldn’t carb load although a bowl of porridge wont hurt. I would load with yoghurt, nuts and berries and take some nuts with me. Although 26 miles is a long way on not much food so whatever you dont will hardly have an impact on your diet, it is only one or 2 days.

• posted by AnnieW
    on

I’m with sunshine-girl and wouldn’t carb load now. I’m training for a half marathon at the end of October and will keep on with the BSD foods, just increased amounts. I’ve done a couple of 14.5k runs on my plan both before breakfast, so they were fasted runs, with no problems (I did have a snack with me but didn’t feel the need for it). Had breakfast afterwards of porridge, full fat milk, with a good spoon of crunchy peanut butter stirred in along with chia and cocoa sounds disgusting but I like it. I will do this for my longer runs too.

I think the Diet Doctor website has info on athletes that do long distance on low/no carbs. I’ve seen a few references lately on the Internet to these runners. Whatever you decide remember to try it out before The Day and keep everything the same for then. This may be TMI but if you have stomach issues (I sometimes do – think I have bear dna 😊) an Immodium can keep things inside.

Good Luck with your marathon

Please log in or register to post a reply.