Food labels and Sugar

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Eggpoacher
    on

Dear all,
    I am a newcomer to the Blood Sugar Diet, and no doubt you’ve seen this question before but I’m really confused and need your help regarding label information on ingredients. As I’m trying to follow the dietary programme I purchased a pot of natural full fat sugar free yogurt only to find the information on the label was not as I thought. It says typical values per 100g Carbohydrate 6.3g of which sugars 6.2g is this as stated in the book that the body turns the carbohydrate into sugar or is this added sugar I’m none the wiser…..help!

• posted by Mixnmatch
    on

It is lactose from the milk, always present in dairy products. Don’t worry about it (unless you are lactose intolerant in which case I guess you wouldn’t be buying it) but if you are limiting carbs, remember that along with the white stuff starches it should be kept to a minimum. I regularly check carb levels on yoghurt and try to buy the highest fat/lowest sugar.

• posted by Eggpoacher
    on

Many thanks to mixnmatch for your assistance in my dilemma, I’m a little now the wiser, but why do manufactures insist on putting sugar when life would be a lot easier if they put lactose, at least you’d know whether it was a natural ingredient instead of manufactured sugar.

• posted by Californiagirl
    on

I think the research says that “sugar” is sugar is sugar — whether it comes from sucrose, fructose (fruit) maltose (beer) or lactose (milk) or sucrose/fructose (table sugar) — doesn’t really matter — your body converts or uses it mostly the same (with a couple differences).
    I would check the ingredient label for “added” sugar (AKA corn syrup, rice syrup, high fructose syrup, aloe or other “nectars”, fruit juice, maple syrup, honey etc etc etc — they are getting tricky these days) — avoid that as much as possible then just use the carbohydrate count for general purposes — you probably don’t need to count sugars separately.

• posted by Mixnmatch
    on

In general if it ends in -ose it is some sort of sugar, and beware the ingredients lists on some supposedly healthy food which make use of this fact to confuse people. Fructose is particularly bad in large quantities as it tends to head straight for fat in the liver which is damaging to the health, luckily on this eating plan fruit and therefore fructose is limited as well..

Please log in or register to post a reply.