food labelling

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by russroch
    on

Does anyone know the importance of Carbohydrate content versus the ‘of which sugars’ content.

On some flat breads and Tortilla wraps they have a relatively high carb content but low sugar content.

Will these breads be ok as its the sugar content that’s important as far as I understand.

Anyone have any thoughts?

• posted by Firefox7275
    on

All starchy carbs are broken down in the body to blood glucose (= sugar). The more processed they are the faster this process tends to be. Most wheat products – including wraps and other flatbreads – are very processed (the flour is ground superfine).

Dr Michael Mosley and Dr Clare Bailey say “the Mediterranean-style low carb diet approach, which we recommend in The Blood Sugar Diet, is a low sugar diet, low in starchy, easily digestible carbs.”

“Minimise or avoid the starchy ‘white stuff’ bread, pasta, potatoes, rice: Be wary of ‘brown’ alternatives: the extra fibre can be negligible. Brown rice is OK, but some wholemeal breads have added sugar. Switch instead to quinoa, bulgur (cracked wheat), whole rye, whole-grain barley, wild rice and buckwheat.”
    (Get Started, linky at the top of the page).

Do note that serving sizes of even these whole, minimally processed grains are very small in the official recipes. Some regulars here on the BSD forum choose to avoid all starchy grains and pulses. It is important to replace the lost minerals and bulking fibre by eating far more seeds and certain nuts.

HTH!

• posted by russroch
    on

Thank you for your prompt reply. I shall put the wraps in the freezer for now!

I see you have a recipe for soda bread. That sounds like a good alternative. Marks and Spencer
    also sell it. Will that be ok for toast in the morning do you think ?

• posted by MerryMelba
    on

Hi Russroch
    I would agree with Firefox’s advice – to stay away from starchy carbs for now. The soda bread is high in carbs – 38grams a serve https://www.nutracheck.co.uk/CaloriesIn/Product/04/M&S+Irish+Brown+Soda+Bread+400g
    I know it’s hard to move away from toast in the morning but to change my eating habits for the long term I kept away from all breads/toasts/buns/rolls etc for the first 12 weeks I did Fast800.
    Try changing your breakfast ideas around a bit – I used an egg (prepared anyway) with a slice of bacon (easy in the microwave), some cheese (haloumi is lovely a few minutes in the frying pan) – avocado (contains good fats and is filling) – green veg – any you like – steamed with a knob of butter – these can be put together in just a few minutes. Or try smoked salmon, sardines or mackerel.
    Or try Greek yogurt – full fat – with some blueberries or raspberries stirred in. I keep supermarket frozen berries in the freezer and just zap a serving in the microwave to stir into yogurt.
    KOKO – you can do this!!🌺

Please log in or register to post a reply.