Fluctuation of the blood sugar level

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Noella
    on

Hi,

I would like to know if some of you, following the 800 calories a day diet, are experimenting fluctuations of their blood sugar level within the first two weeks of this program. I would like to know if it will stabilize later. Thank you

• posted by Alanhypno
    on

I’ve taken my blood sugar level for first time ever
    Type 2 for years
    I’m not starting this plan till next week but I measured my sugar level at 9.5 two hours after a meal
    I think it’s very high but haven’t the foggiest also did I measure at right time ??
    Any tips
    Alan

• posted by Leeanne
    on

Hello there from another type 2,
    The figures I go on for type 2 as recommended by NICE are:

Before meals – 4 to 7
    (Non diabetic 4 to 5.9)

At least 90mins after meals – under 8.5
    (Non diabetic under 7.8)

Fasting levels:
    Normal – 3.9 to 5.5
    Pre-diabetic/impaired – 5.6 to 7
    Diabetic – more than 7

In my case I started week 1 at 11.0 fasting and now on week 5 I’ve had 5.4 today!! It really works!!!

• posted by Alanhypno
    on

That’s absolutely amazing Leanne well done
    How long did this take and how long were you type 2
    Also did you reduce meds yourself or wait till you saw doctor ?
    Again superb result

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Hi from another type 2.

When I started this on 19th December, my fasting blood sugar was 10.9 and I always struggled to get a fasting reading below 7.0.

Now it is always under 5.0 and I’ve even had a 4.0.

As Leeanne said – it really works.

• posted by Alanhypno
    on

That’s really amazing you guys must be so proud of yourselves
    I begin my journey next week and messages like this really give incentive
    How do you go on with meds ?
    Do you wait 8 weeks then see nurse for review ?

• posted by Noella
    on

It’s very encouraging thanks !

• posted by Leeanne
    on

Hi again,
    I’ve been type 2 since March 2011 (age 47 at that time). My hba1c had come back at 15 so went straight onto 4 metformin daily.
    I’m now nearing the end of week 5. I had a little blip in readings in week 4, I.e. they started going up in the 7’s, but I’d had a chest infection so blamed this. They’ve come back down this week and for the last 2 days I’ve only taken half the dose of Metformin (2tabs). I’m due for an annual diabetic check in June with a new hba1c, etc, so am hoping for a good response from my GP as I really want to stop my medication completely. In 5 weeks I’ve lost just over a stone so am really pleased. Obviously if I saw a huge rise in my levels i’d adjust my tablets accordingly, however I do test about 4 times a day to ensure my levels are Ok.

• posted by Noella
    on

Alanhyno, I am seeing my doctor every month. I do not take Metoformin now but still need 25 units of insuline once a day (end of the day). With this diet, my sugar level is supposed to be low enough to allow me to quit also the insuline. The weightloss is very fast though.

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Alanhypno. I see my diabetes nurse monthly for her to monitor my progress, BP, weight etc. I was on BP meds but no diabetes medication. Currently off even BP meds.

I had my HbA1c result shortly before I started on BSD, and have another one due in a few weeks, which will be entirely within the time I’ve been in the BSD. That one will be interesting, because they were wanting me on Metformin after the last one, but I said I was doing this.

• posted by Squidgy
    on

Hi Noella – welcome.

I’ve finished the 8 weeks and am now in the next phase but haven’t managed to get such positive results yet. My fasting results actually got higher, and in week 8 I had a peak of 12.2 fasting BG even though I was under 800 cals the previous day, and really low carbs. Perversely I eased up a little over Easter after the first 8 weeks, allowing myself the odd slice of wholemeal bread and a hot cross bun one day, and my fasting levels dropped to 8!

I think it’s safe to say everyone’s different but it defintely works for most people. I’m now testing every 2 hours for a few weeks to see if I can see any patterns (I know it still goes up the longer I fast, and it spikes after exercise which again seems odd.)

I have at least managed to reduce my medication (I’ve stopped Glicazide which definitely reduces my blood glucose levels but increases insulin, and corresponding appetite and fat) and am within 6lb of a BMI of 25 for the first time in over 20 years and feeling so much healthier and am really hoping that I eventually crack it.

Good luck – I’m sure you’ll get great results

• posted by Alanhypno
    on

Thanks for all the encouragement on here folks
    I’ve awoke at 4 am again but decided today is going to be my FIRST DAY on this plan so here goes
    Up up and awwwaaay but down with readings hopefully
    Alan

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Yaaaayyyy Alan. Looking forward to reading your progress.

• posted by Noella
    on

Good decision ! It will work you will see !

• posted by Noella
    on

10th day today. If I resume :

For me, 5 pounds less and the blood sugar is now 6.8 (it was, at his highest, 7.9 . I am considered prediabetic) My husband who his diabetic has lost 10 pounds and after some ups and downs his sugar level is tending to stabilization (between 6 et 7). Before this program, his sugar level was sometimes at 15. It is very motivating to follow this plan together.

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Noella it is worth reading Cherrianne and Bill1954’s posts. They had unexpected rises in fbs about four weeks in, it lasted for a couple of weeks and then dropped to a normal range. Hiccups at this stage seem to be the norm, but along with what has happened to Lynne and several others you can see the end result of following this diet is absolutely amazing for your blood sugars! 🙂

• posted by Noella
    on

Thanks for the info Hashimoto !

Please log in or register to post a reply.