First time doing the 800 calories a day …

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Jane-31
    on

Thanks for being so understanding. I am quite limited with what I like and not very adventurous but I will make an effort to expand my tastes. I’ve cut out the white carbs apart from sugar but have managed to reduce my intake significantly – and am still trying to wean myself off it. I used to drink cups of tea like they were going out of fashion and each one had 3 heaped teaspoons of sugar in. Since starting the BSD I’ve cut my beloved cuppas down to a max of 2 per day and am down to 2 spoons of sugar now – tried 1.5 spoons the other day but not quite ready for that. I’m really pleased I’ve managed to reduce it though. Oh and yes, in answer to your question about salmon – it’s the tinned variety I eat.

• posted by Rosyposy
    on

Just wanted to say that I’m learning so much from all your posts and I’m so impressed with you Jane 31. Keep
    Going ! It’s going to be amazing.
    Sadly, I have been slightly knocked off course as my father has just died. ( he was 95 – so he had a wonderful innings- but I will miss him so very much) I haven’t even thought about the programme and will have to start again . But I will.
    Keep posting as you are a great bunch and very inspirational xx

• posted by Jane-31
    on

Thanks for your kind words Rosyposy. I’m sorry that you’ve lost your father though. Perhaps be kind to yourself for a while and don’t worry too much about your diet right now. It’s good that you’re determined to get back to it and maybe having something to focus on might help you – we’re all different. Hope you don’t mind me saying this, but please allow yourself time to grieve your loss. Take care xx

• posted by Jane-31
    on

Just had to post today and tell you all that I’ve lost my first stone!!! ๐Ÿ˜… So chuffed!! Thanks go to you all for supporting me and I’ve just set my next goal of another half stone …..

• posted by Michael Rolls
    on

WELL DONE!
    Mike

• posted by Luckylil
    on

Oh well done, Jane-31! That’s a great milestone. And good that you are moving on to an achievable next goal. I have lost 2.5 lbs this week (my third) so weight loss slowing. But I was expecting that. I am going to limit myself to a weekly weigh-in, as I think I could be easily discouraged if I weigh myself more often and don’t see movement.
    However I have lost over 2 inches on my waist – which is amazing. And I still haven’t succumbed to the dreaded glass of wine. Which, for me, is even more unbelievable.
    I am so close to having lost a stone, so that’s my nearest mini goal. But those jeans will be the true triumph. They are in the wardrobe waving at me ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Luckylil
    on

Hi Rosyposy. So sorry to hear about your loss. This is a tough time for you. Hope when you feel stronger and ready to refocus, we see you picking up the programme and back posting.
    Carole

• posted by Jane-31
    on

Well it’s taken me 4 weeks to get here Luckylil and if I’m honest was hoping for it to happen a little bit quicker! I think the trouble with me is I really believe everything in the book and after reading about the person who lost 19lb in their first week, was rather disappointed with my 5. I do realise the book is going to quote the best examples …

Well done on the 2 inches, that’s fantastic! You WILL fit into those jeans one day, and it’ll serve them right for taunting you from the wardrobe, lol!

• posted by Esnecca
    on

As I recall you had something in the area of 60ish pounds to lose overall? I think your hope of losing a third of that in the first week was a tad unrealistic. Those kinds of huge losses usually happen for people with a lot more weight to lose than you. I suspect it’s the sugary tea that’s holding you back the most. As long as sugar remains on the menu, your insulin levels will stay elevated and keep a lock on your fat stores. It’s quite impressive that you’ve achieved as much as you have while still eating 4 tsp of sugar a day. Your body is trying its best and doing a fine job. Pat yourself on the back!

Have you considered switching to herbal teas that are naturally mild like rooibos or honeybush? You wouldn’t need to add sugar to counteract bitterness like you do with black or green tea. Herbal teas with cinammon and fennel also read as sweet on your tongue even though they are sugar free. I had honeybush vanilla tea in a restaurant a few months ago and freaked out because it tasted so sweet I was sure it had hidden sugar. I made everyone else at the table taste it (none of whom are low carbers) and they all thought I was insane. When I got home I looked it up, and it turns out that the honeybush contains natural sugar alcohols so it tastes sweet but has zero blood sugar impact. I never noticed how sweet it was when I was still eating carbs.

• posted by Mixnmatch
    on

Liquorice teas taste sweet as well, Peppermint and Liquorice is one of my favourites, sweet and refreshing at the same time. For chocoholics there are also some interesting Yogi teas which have cocoa shells ground up in them as well as spices, very warming and slightly chocolatey.

• posted by Jane-31
    on

Thank you Esnecca and Mixnmatch. I can’t get the honeybush locally, so am going to try the Rooibos Vanilla one instead. I’m down to 1.5 spoons per cuppa now, and sometimes only have one per day, so getting there!

• posted by Rosyposy
    on

Hello there,

Lovely to hear you’re still doing well Jane 31. Keep going strong. I’m cheering for you and hope to start myself in a couple of weeks or so.
    Also soaking up all these tips. Interesting what you said about the herbal teas ensnecca. My biggest problem is weaning myself off milk in my tea and that must add quite a few calories. X

• posted by Esnecca
    on

Great job, Jane! Soon that sugar monkey will be off your back and your tastebuds will meet a whole new world of flavors. The scales should react positively as well, although fair warning, eventually your body will get used to the new sugar-free normal and losses will slow. Losing a lot of weight is a crazy rollercoaster ride.

Rosyposy, have you tried non-dairy milks? I was never a milky tea drinker so my perspective may be skewed on this point, but I quite enjoy the taste of nut milks like almond and cashew, and the unsweetened versions are extremely low in calories and carbs. No carbs at all in a full cup of Silk unsweetened vanilla almond milk, just one gram in a cup of Silk unsweetened cashew milk. The cashew has a more neutral flavor and a thicker, creamier consistency. The almond is a little thinner and tastes, well, like almonds. ๐Ÿ˜€

• posted by Jane-31
    on

Thanks Rosyposy. Nice to have the support – it’s all welcome. I’m fine without milk in tea, but have to have sugar – so trying a completely different tea will be good for me. The Vanilla one I mentioned, says it’s good with or without milk, so maybe there’s another option for you.

• posted by Rosyposy
    on

Hi Jane and everybody
    How are you doing with the diet? I don’t know if you remember me but I stopped back in August after my father died. I am now in week three and I have lost a stone but have completely stalled for the last five days and I’m beginning to panic. Is this normal?

Please log in or register to post a reply.