First Exercise!!

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by HappyLife
    on

Well it’s day 12 and 3 weeks ago I couldn’t do 5 min on the exercise bike so today I decided to give it a try and I did two 10 min sessions with the HIT included. I know it’s not much to all I see here but it’s my path and for me it’s awesome.
    I am shocked.
    I am so looking forward to what activities the future will hold for me.
    ๐Ÿ’œ

• posted by ay caramba
    on

Hi HappyLife
    First exercise!!!!!! Well done. Welcome to that bright future.
    They do say that a journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.
    Michael Mosley’s chapter on ‘Getting Active’ in BSD is pretty informative. Think I’d rather be the bus conductor than the driver if I half my risk of heart disease!
    Simple starts is what he recommends.
    I have started to stand up to use my computer. See p 161 re improved BS control.
    I hate it….. but it’s become part of my May Challenge so I hope to be able to stick with it.
    It certainly stops me sitting for extended periods.
    Maybe the ‘Challenge a Day’ page on Myfitnesspal may interest you with some different ideas.
    Today the writer of this blog is suggesting either to go outside and stand to draw or paint something from nature.
    Alternatively the challenge is to check out a You Tube exercise video and try doing it. Something new like Tai Chi for instance.

Just a thought.

Here is the link if you are interested:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10388734/05-11-wednesday-day-11-slbc#latest

Anyway well done you.Welcome to your journey. Happylife I love your moniker…..things just keep getting better. ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by HappyLife
    on

Hi Caramba,
    Thanks for all the hints and kind words! I think I will check those out once I can do a little more. Just so happy I can do so much more than 3 weeks ago!
    ๐Ÿ’œ

• posted by Clairebear
    on

@ Ay Carumba – do you have a “standing desk” or do you perch somehow? I’d love to stand to work but don’t know how logistically to do it in an office where we all have normal desks.

• posted by ay caramba
    on

Hi Clairebear,
    Oh dear I feel a bit guilty saying I stand at my computer when I’m retired and only use it at home.
    BUT it is a challenge for me and it soon forces me to move on and get on with something else , probably more important.
    So it is a good thing.

In the BSD diet book on p 160 they did an experiment where the asked volunteers to try to stand in an office for 3 hours per day. They found that they had better control of their BS levels and burnt an extra 50 calories an hour, equivalent to 30,000 extra calories a year.

Not saying this is good for everyone but some people may want to consider standing up when they can as it seems to be beneficial.
    After all many people stand up all day with their jobs anyway.

Good luck with any plan you decide.

Please log in or register to post a reply.