First day started!

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Boog23
    on

My first day of BSD has arrived! This morning I had 2 sauteed portobello mushrooms, with a poached egg on each. It was so simple and quite tasty. I meant to have a Bircher from a recipe given me by Cherrianne, but forgot to put it together last night. Will do so this evening. A really nice thing was, that while making my breakfast this morning, I was thinking about all the folks on this forum. How all of you are committing yourselves to the BSD, a new lifestyle, and health and how many helpful words of encouragement and experience I have heard.
    I want to say to anyone new like me, that if you are hesitating, plunge in! (and post on the forum to get support, it really helps)

For lunch I am having FF yogurt and berries. For dinner, chickpea chili (BSD website recipe)

best wishes for a great day to all.
    jeff

• posted by Shrinkydinkyman
    on

Welcome to the forums Jeff. Good luck
    Regards Peter.

• posted by Boog23
    on

Thank you Peter. I love the welcoming and supportive nature of the forums!

cheers,
    jeff

• posted by misssay
    on

Hi Jeff,

You’re absolutely right – this is a very supportive forum. Well done on your first day, Just one thing – no need to have the fat free yogurt – full fat dairy is recommended in the book, and the fat helps to fill you up too. A lot of fat free stuff has sugar and/or thickeners added to make up for the loss of volume by taking the fat out. This quite probably isn’t the case if it is just natural plain yogurt you are having, and to be honest I have semi skimmed milk by choice instead of full fat in my tea and coffee, because I find full fat ruins the taste of the drink for me. I have been enjoying full fat greek yogurt though! I thought I’d just mention it, in case you think you ‘should’ have fat free yogurt.

Best of luck.

• posted by Boog23
    on

Hi misssay,

Thank you for your support and feedback. Thank you for the info on the full fat yogurt-I am glad to hear this as I don’t much like the low fat at all. This is a great example of what this forum is for!

best wishes,
    jeff

• posted by misssay
    on

You’re welcome Jeff. I have always hated low fat yogurts with a passion, so full fat greek yogurt for breakfast is such good news for me!

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Fantastic, Jeff, I will follow this thread to see how you are doing – and I know you will be doing great and see amazing changes in your health as well as your waistline! ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Boog23
    on

Yesterday (Tuesday) was my first day of BSD Med. It went very well and I stuck to my plan except for eating a bit more chickpea chili for dinner than I needed. This resulted from eating too little at lunch time as I was ravenous when I got home. I have learned something and all in all see this as a successful start. I am happy to say that the sugar and junk carbs are, so far, not calling out to me-but I want to be vigilant and narc on myself here if they do. I have today mapped out food-wise and all systems are ‘go’ (fingers crossed!)

wishing all a fantastic day
    jeff

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Well done jeff now another good day today and you are well on your way! Don’t worry about a bit extra chickpea chilli, you will still be very close to the 800 ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Leanne
    on

Hello everyone. I’m currently trying to get my head around this. Wrote down shopping list . Meal plan. Measurements. Hopefully I will be starting on Monday. My
    Menu won’t be very exciting as it will just me me on plan and I’m kind of a plane Jane . Iv been sat here for about 30 mins trying to write out my
    First weeks meal plan. All I have so far is Monday bfast. Greek yog and 13 blueberry 110 cals lol all help and ideas appreciated lol

• posted by Cherrianne
    on

Hi Leanne, welcome to the forum. Planning is the key to success on this diet so you’re off to a good start. Getting organised so that you always have the right food available will help you, you won’t be caught out grabbing something you shouldn’t have just because you’re hungry.
    Many of us cook and freeze extra portions of our food so that there’s always something to fall back on. Making sure you take your healthy food to work, or out with you if you’re away from home at mealtimes will help.
    Are you doing your own plan or following the one from the book? A browse through the recipes in the book and on this site should help you with ideas.
    There’s also a thread called ‘what are you eating’ where people are posting their meals, that might inspire you a bit too.
    All the best for Monday, and keep posting your successes so everyone can celebrate with you.

• posted by Gail c
    on

Hello Leanne
    I just love the Middle Eastern recipe, it is only 90 cals, and is yum, I did find planning ahead helpful to me.
    I make a lot of my own veg soups which I count the calories of all the vegetables I put into the pot. They usually come out at around 100 calories for a big pan full, which does me and my husband for a couple of days. Then I can have a few more calories with my dinner dish.
    Hope this helps you.
    Gail

• posted by nisha4017
    on

Hi, I’ve just got the book and signed up. I plan to start on Monday so I can get myself organised. A bit worried since I am a carb fiend and eat just for the hell of eating. I’m a single mum so when the kids go to bed that’s when I struggle….. But sounds like the people on here are a great support. Now off to browse some receipies.

• posted by Cherrianne
    on

Hi and welcome Nisha,
    Once you’ve put the kids to bed get onto the forums and read and chat. Before you know it it will be your bedtime and you won’t have had the chance to snack ๐Ÿ˜‰
    Use this time to plan your next day’s eating and maybe start cooking/ preparing ahead of time. Your kids will benefit too from good home cooked meals as you won’t be rushing to get dinner on when they come home hungry from school.
    Keep in touch, there’s plenty of people to give you support when you need it v

• posted by Leanne
    on

I have read the book and looked over all the recipes. Some of them sound really
    Nice. Some of them have too many ingredients for me lol. Iv also looked up the recipes online and wrote a few of them down. I won’t be following the meal plan in book as I think a lot of food will get wasted. The kind of things I will be having for bfast is yog , the berry shake. Eggs with avacado . Scrambled eggs etc. Will probably be some kind of salad with protein for lunch. It’s the mains I’m worried about. I will probably snack on veg. Gerkings olives etc.

• posted by Cherrianne
    on

Hi Leanne,
    Go for as much variety in your diet as you can and make sure you keep your fat intake up.
    Treat yourself once a week and experiment with one of the recipes, I guess if you don’t cook much, or only for yourself, it can seem a bit daunting at first. Buy a few extra ingredients each week until you have a range of foods handy. If you enjoy a recipe, the food won’t get wasted as you can make double and freeze some for another day.
    If you only snack on vegies you probably won’t be getting enough protein. You can add meat, fish or an omelette to your evening meal.
    Be brave with your food choices, we are all learning new ways of cooking and eating ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Leanne
    on

Thanks cherrianne. Yeah I think that’s what I’m going to do. Iv got the zucchini lasagna and the chickpea chilli in my meal plan. Never had any of those b4. Suppose it’s just trial and error. Going to make a pot of the courgette and tomatoe soup too. Iv just realised there is also a Facebook page so hopefully that will keep me on track too. Do you know if there is a bit were I could get a list of allowed foods ?

• posted by Cherrianne
    on

Hi Leanne,
    There is a bit of info in the book about good food choices. I think what most of us do is check out the carb and calorie counts of food and decide if we can afford to use that much of our allowance on them. Bear in mind that the beans and bean flour are high in carbs but they are the good, low GI kind.
    You’ve got the right idea with the zucchini soup and lasagne. Try to find meals that use the same ingredients so that nothing gets wasted. Even if you have to swap ingredients in a recipe to use something up. There are 7 of us in my family so I’m always on the lookout for bargain priced seasonal fruit and veg. Then I make the biggest variety of meals I can think of with the same ingredients. My freezer always has a couple of meals and soups for those busy days or when something unexpected happens. Or to allow for the ‘can’t be bothered to cook’ days ๐Ÿ™‚
    I’m sure you’ll soon be cooking up a storm, and once you start tasting that delicious fresh food you’ll be hooked!

Please log in or register to post a reply.