Finding it hard so far

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Cbizzle
    on

I’ve been reading comments about people who have been finding it relatively easy, so I wondered if anyone else was finding it a bit of a struggle?

It hasn’t been toooo bad. I’ve coped better at work than I imagined. But generally it has felt quite hard. When did people find it becomes easier?

I’m on day 5 and have been sticking to 800 calories pretty strictly (I’ve been counting everything on myfitnesspal). Apart from yesterday where I caved and had some carbs and sugar (I realised low fat for breakfast and lunch was a killer) so went to 1100 calories. Yet I have lost about 1.5 kilos already and feel smaller too which is great! (Although again, probably not as drastic as some).

BUT it does feel unsustainably hard at the moment. Shall I just white knuckle it to my goal weight? Wait until week 2 to see if it gets any easier? Bail already and switch to 5:2 or up the calories?

• posted by cmawp
    on

What you’re experiencing is normal. The need to eat something (anything) left me after around 6 days. After that, 800 cal a day was fine as long as I was busy.

The carb cravings took 3-4 weeks to stop, this involved me thinking/fantasising about poor choice foods when on the hungry side. Occasionally the cravings visit me to say hello even now, but they’re only fleeting.

Being prepared for your next meal and planning are ways to help you stay on track.

• posted by Lindarina
    on

I’ve had a relatively problem free journey so far. But yesterday, on my fourth day, I was daydreaming about carbs all day! I stayed away from shopping and managed to stick to the diet, but my will was definetivly weaker yeasterday ;).

I plan every meal in advance. Saturday I made a mealplan and went grocery shopping. I haven’t always stuck to my plan, but it’s easier to tweek an already existing plan than it is to come up with something new every day.

• posted by AnnieW
    on

Hi. Well done on the loss so far. It will/should get easier within a few days of starting. If you have no particular health issues that you are hoping to resolve by doing this, then going higher in calories isn’t a problem, just that your loss will, probably, be slower than on 800.

However, you say “I realised low fat for breakfast and lunch was a killer”. If you are eating low fat go full fat. Yes, it’s more calories, which is where planning comes in, but you will feel fuller for longer and it’s what helps make this sustainable. Also are you drinking plenty of water, which will help fill you up. Sorry if I misunderstood but that statement did stand out for me.

• posted by SkyWalker
    on

Just remember that we all found it hard at times but that time is a great healer and even reducing from normal intake without going to 800 will have a positive effect. The 800/day does it sooner than say 1000/day. The length of fast is important between last meal of one day to first in another. Lots of good advice and evidence that you are not alone on here Annie. Distractions are really useful as hunger pangs can disappear if not dwelt upon. Remember too that we are effectictly addicted to sugars and need to wean off them. We are choosing a Cold Turkey kind of methodology – that works with some others to help support us. I am 11 months on now and still at target (mostly) ,so just hang on in there and don’t beat yourself up. We mostly enjoy seeng the benefits quite soon after starting. It took me 10 weeks to lose over 16kg and it was not that hard once I got into a routine. Major tip = don’t buy “bad” stuff and you will not eat it. It is often harder at work but hopefully your colleagues will soon be on side and encourage you too. Good luck…

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

I agree you should not be eating ‘low fat’ which is another word for packed with sugars and chemicals. Try 2 eggs scrambled with an ounce of cheese grated in and a pinch of chilli – cooked in butter or a good rapeseed oil of course.

All diets are hard or we would all be slim and gorgeous (I’m gorgeous but not slim LOL). The difference with this diet is you SHOULD be eating a varied and tasty range of foods. I do a menu once a week and never eat the same thing 2 days in a row even if I have cooked loads, that’s what freezers are for. Also, you will see such quick results that you are super motivated to carry on. I am in my 7th month and, besides holidays and Christmas, stick to the 800 most days and always stick to the low carb.

Keep going, it is good for you and you have done so well so far.

• posted by Cbizzle
    on

Thanks for all the tips. For info, yesterday I did break the fast and had about 2000 calories and 150g of carbs. I could just tell I was putting my body under a lot of strain and had to eat more yesterday to give myself a break physically and mentally. But it meant it gave me so much energy and I felt so much better. It was also the first night I slept in just shorts and a vest! Every night before I wore every layer I could find and had to sleep with a heated blanket on all night. Plus today I didn’t gain any weight, and it’s killed my hunger which is nice. So I’ll carry on fasting and listen to body signals if it ever gets too bad again.

Please log in or register to post a reply.