Final score

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Porkyatbest
    on

Hello,

I’ve finished my 8 weeks this morning and just thought I’d post my results as an encouragement to others. I’m 49 and have been on some sort of diet every year since I first got taken to Slimming World when I was 8 (it may have been weight watchers).

At the start of this diet I was 19 stone (at 6ft 2in) and a type 2 diabetic with good blood sugar control over the 2 years since diagnosis.

On my weigh- in this morning I was 16 stone, a loss of 42 pounds, and I have lost about 4 inches of my waist. Blood sugars are still good, blood pressure is better than it was, although still a little high. Cholesterol I haven’t had done, but I have a diabetic clinic due so I shall find out soon. The loss has been fairly steady, although in week 6 I didn’t seem to lose anything. My biggest allies on the diet have been:

Lots of water – a Brita filter bottle has been a constant companion, and I worked up to about 3.5 litres a day. On the downside, when I walk the dog I’m looking for a wee more than he is.

Walking – just the right intensity without making for light-headedness. The dog is very happy.

Weights three times a week, but mainly bodyweight, press-ups and assisted pull ups.

Greek yoghurt – I eat the fat free stuff but add the fat and calories back in with nuts and flax seeds. The Fage stuff has no added sugar. I add in some frozen berries as well. I’ve also used it as a salad dressing mixed with marmite (no really), or with lime and chilli

Kale – a huge bag of it steams in the micro-wave and makes you feel very self-righteous.

Tinned oily fish. A lot of calories but anything that smells that bad must be doing you good.

Loads and loads of leaves.

Turkey steaks fried in spray olive oil, with…

Peppers, courgettes and mushrooms.

Eggs. Especially in a ‘frittata’.

Black coffee – the ritual of making it fresh seems to help, as does having it made for you in a coffee shop; keep your eyes off the Granola though.

Marmite as a hot drink. Lots of B vitamins and it’s almost like eating.

The challenge now is to keep it off. I plan to stick to the Mediterranean diet and maybe fast a couple of days a week. I want to keep up with the water. I’ll have a drink when I’m out (a rare thing) but give it a miss at home. I’ll also let my self go a bit if I’m out for a meal.

Thanks to Dr Mosely and everyone on here for being a reference point and support. Good luck to all of you.

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Great news and brilliant results.

Another person over the 8-week line.

Come and join us on the ‘over the 8-week line and after’ thread on this forum and keep posting your progress.

That particular club, I’m happy to say, is growing 😃

• posted by ON PHONE
    on

Brilliant result- you’ve done SO well. Congratulations on your achievements.

It’s good for me to read this today as end of week 2 and I have slipped -two days in a row. Made my kids a meal last two nights that is a particular favourite thinking I wouldn’t have any and each time have broken. Have to just keep my head clear and recover from this and keep going.

• posted by Porkyatbest
    on

Cheers all. Don’t give up. I had a couple of slips myself. Just put them behind you and crack on, we all have to live in the real world after all, and there are so many calorie-demons out there !

• posted by Bill1954
    on

Awesome results
    Even trying to picture 42 lbs as packets of lard is hard.
    Your experience is going to promote massive motivation to all who read it.
    Looking forward to joining you and the others in the 8 weeks and over thread when I cross the line next week.
    I’ll follow how the maintainance plan is working for you with interest

• posted by Sharon
    on

Wow that’s fantastic results you must be so pleased. That will be such a good encouragement to so many on here. I was feeling a bit down until I read your post it has spurred me on to keep going. I start week 5 today but haven’t loss anything this week, I was so disappointed and so nearly gave in to temptation. I had lost 16lb in the first 3 weeks. Your post has reinforced to me this way of eating does work so shall keep at it. Well done again.

• posted by Julia18togo
    on

Wow… so impressed with those numbers and have also taken on board some food tips from the above. The no weight loss week 5 or 6 seems to be a common thing for many. But as you and others show it does get going again if you stick with it.

• posted by LynnM
    on

Congratulations on your wonderful achievement. I’m on day 1 and found it highly motivating!

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Welcome to the forums LynnM, if the first few days are tricky don’t worry it soon gets easy and becomes a way of life. Good luck and shout if you want advice!! 🙂

Please log in or register to post a reply.