Feeling low and very grumpy

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by PlumpGoose
    on

After a few false starts I am now 6 days into the BSD. Getting a bit sick of eggs, but have discovered some new recipes in the recipe book. One thing I wanted to ask is whether anyone felt a bit low a few days in ? I read the cutting your carb intake can affect serotonin production and make you feel low?
    Not sure if this is a ‘thing’
    I take a low dose of anti depressant every day and have for years, and have been pretty well for about a year, but I’m feeling a bit despondent today. It might be that I have used food as an emotional crutch and I’m realising that what a big part it plays in my life now I have drastically cut back.
    I have a lot of weight to lose (8 stone)I’m not diabetic, and hoped that this BSD approach would help me kick my addiction to carby sweet things. I’m hoping that in a few days I will feel better-also have belly ache and general feeling of being unwell.
    Any experiences and advice welcome !

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Hi goose, do you have the backing of your doctor to do this diet. If you already suffer from depression this may not be in your best interest. Having said that, a boost to your ego by losing some weight can do wonders so dont be put off but do be kind to yourself. It is true that cutting carbs can have a withdrawal effect which we call carb or keto flu. You should only feel down for a few days or a week at most. If it is more than this you might want to talk to someone. If your low mood continues and as you are not diabetic you might want to just reduce the carbs and calories steadily so you get used to it. Think in terms of doing the Med style diet or the 5:2 as a way to ease yourself in. Take care and let us know how you get on.

• posted by PlumpGoose
    on

Thanks Sunshine girl. I haven’t spoke to my doctor about the diet as I didn’t really expect to have an affect of my mood. I’m hoping that this just a temporary side effect that will pass quickly. Thanks for the advice, I’m going to persevere for now, but will reassess if things don’t settle.

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Feeling low is normal, it is like giving up anything although, from memory, not as hard as giving up smoking which I did 26 years ago. Not the same thing at all as we have to eat so you can always add a small carb portion if it is getting you down. Think oats or brown rice in small quantities. This is not an all or nothing diet especially if you dont have insulin issues.

• posted by Jennie10
    on

Hi PlumpGoose
    I’ve just seen your post.
    I definitely felt I was on an emotional roller-coaster the first few weeks of this way of eating. Sometimes I felt ‘churned up’ but didn’t really know why. I think for me it was probably a bit about having to give up some stuff, as sunshine-girl says. I had quite a few stone to lose (6 stone) and I found that tricky to face to begin with. And, as you say, I realised how much I used food as an emotional crutch and to ‘push down’ my emotions.

So, yes, it was definitely a ‘thing’ for me, too. But it didn’t last long. Beginning to lose the weight was really motivating. I also decided not to think in terms of the 6 stone. I just set myself small targets which I could reach quite easily. Reaching them, and giving myself a ‘gold star’ each time really helped. When I felt emotional or chewed up I’d just let myself feel it, sometimes I’d go off for a walk which seemed to help.

Reading your post it strikes me you’ve got a really good handle on things, but I thought it might help to know I had a similar response. Hope things are going well this week.
    Jennie xx

• posted by alliecat
    on

A very warm welcome from me too, plumpgoose! Feeling emotional changes when you first begin the BSD is quite
    normal, and many go through it. If you’re able to pull your carbs down low, you can be assured that your body will
    go into ketosis, and when that happens you will experience an energy boost and a lightness of spirit that will
    astonish you ๐Ÿ™‚ I have a very special place in my heart for “ladies with lots to lose”, for 3 years ago I walked in your
    shoes, too! The BSD is the way out of all that…May I suggest that you join either the WEEK AT A TIME or Awesome
    August thread? I can promise you a heartfelt welcome, and you will meet wonderful women who range from long
    term maintainers like me, and others at every stage of the journey. There is a great deal of knowledge to be shared
    on either of these threads, and we manage to have a lot of fun along the way. I’ll keep an eye out for you! Just
    hang in, and things will soon improve.

Allie

• posted by PlumpGoose
    on

Thank you Allie and Jennie, so nice to have such warm and encouraging people on this forum and to take the time to send such positive posts. I actually started to feel a bit better yesterday, but I did speak to my doctor as I was concerned as to how quickly I started to feel very low. She advised me to maybe not cut my carbs quite as low ( I was trying for under 20 g) and maybe eat a wee bit more ( up to 1000) cals daily. I haven’t done that yet as I want to persevere with this as I am seeing a good loss so far -8 pounds in the first week. Can i ask you Alli, how many grams did you eat whilst following the BSD?

Jennie, thanks for the advice re taking it a bit at a time.I am guilty of not pacing myself and becoming miserable when I think of how much I have to lose. I also have considered seeking some kind of counselling alongside the diet to try and address those issues.

Thanks again Ladies-your words are really appreciated. I will certainly head over to the threads and check them out.

• posted by alliecat
    on

Oh yes, plumpgoose! I’m very happy to answer any questions or concerns that you may have. I think your 1st week’s
    results are very encouraging though, and I hope that you are pleased as well. When I began, it was 800 cal/day, and
    about 40 gr. of carbs. Two months in I hit a stubborn plateau that lasted for 18 days. I went back to the computer
    and did some more research,, and based on the knowledge there, I pulled my carbs down to <20g/day. I also read
    Gary Taubes’ book “Why We Get Fat …and What To Do About It”. It’s a wonderful companion to MM’s work, and suddenly
    the concept of insulin resistance became very clear to me. I’ve never looked back, and it changed my entire perception
    about our food supply. Today I’m 140lbs lighter, at an ideal BMI, and have managed to maintain my losses for 28 months, and counting ๐Ÿ™‚ It took me 17 yrs to get fat, and only 10 months to get rid of it. There is really nothing at all special about
    me, and I’m a steadfast believer in this lifestyle. Embarking on this journey is more of a marathon rather than a sprint,
    and when we all face the obvious, carbs aren’t in our futures, it makes it so much easier. If you can, take it on faith
    that the longer you can avoid the carbs, you really do lose all interest in them. There are many here that will testify to
    this, and we will be right by your side to help you along the way. Wishing you the energy boost very very soon ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚

Please log in or register to post a reply.