Feeling lost

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Ladybird127
    on

Hi, I’m new to this eating plan. I have read the Blood Sugar diet book and bought the recipe book, but am feeling daunted by it all.
    I planned my week’s menus but then realised that I would be over the 800 calorie daily allowance. I really want to make a success of this. I am vegetarian,
    Can anyone give me any guidance on getting started please.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Ladybird, welcome. As this way of eating turns all we have been told for years on it’s head, there is a learning curve and there will be a few errors during that process.

I’m not vegetarian, but my advice is to keep things simple. Do you eat eggs, cheese, or maybe fish? An easy simple source of low carb protein, teamed with above ground veg or salad for lunch / dinner is ideal. Breakfast, full fat yogurt with berries, nuts, seeds …. or if you eat eggs, omelette or similar. Hopefully someone who is vegetarian will offer more advice soon.

Make good use of the forum too, as this is a great resource. Consider joining in on the weekly thread. You’d be made welcome at anytime, just drop in to share and gain information, support and encouragement. Best wishes ….

• posted by Ladybird127
    on

Thank you Sunny B for replying. I very much appreciate your reply. I do eat eggs and cheese but not fish, however, I am used to adapting recipes and using lentils, beans etc for protein.
    This eating plan does turn everything upside down, as I am used to eating low fat (I have used the Slimming World plan in the past) and it feels very strange buying the full fat, but I really enjoy the new flavours. I guess it’s just a question of feeling my way through and adjusting my plans meal by meal. I am also adjusting my portion size too.

• posted by ClarinetCathy
    on

Hi Ladybird

I am a strict vegetarian and have been doing BSD since 2017. I lost 42 lb in 2017. When I started I cut out all white carbs ie bread, rice, potatoes, pasta. For breakfast I usually have Greek Yoghurt with berries or a cup of coffee with cream or scrambled eggs. Being vegetarian does limit the options but this way of eating is totally doable for us vegetarians. My main foods are eggs, scrambled, hard boiled, omelettes, cheese, salad, home made soup, there is a delicious cream of mushroom soup in the recipe section on the forum, roasted vegetables, halloumi, Hummus, nuts, I didn’t eat beans or lentils very often due to their carbs. I made the skinny cottage pie and the aubergine lasagne and also the mini egg muffins from the book. I also made the cauliflower pizza. A simple lunch is a piece of cheese and some pecans. I also eat quorn sandwich slices which are nice with salad.

Think the opposite of everything you learned doing slimming world. I did slimming world too and it took me 9 months to lose 9lb! I was eating “free food” potatoes, pasta and couldn’t understand why I wasn’t losing weight. It turned out I was insulin resistant and once I started on the low carb BSD the weight went!

If you simply cut out the carbs then you will see the weight loss. There are a few vegetarians who have had success with this way of eating.

Good luck with your BSD weight loss journey. There is always someone to help you on the forum.

• posted by Ladybird127
    on

Thank you so much for your help. I have cut out white carbs for the past week. As you say, SW gives free food which I have always found strange, such as pasta and rice. I have recently converted to cauliflower rice and konjac noodles. I will limit the amount of pulses, as you say, they have carbs, which I must avoid. It is just a very different way of eating and thinking.
    I will have a fresh look at my menu for the week and make any tweaks I need to make. I find soup to be a good lunch – my latest invention was Leek and Cauliflower! It was delicious, made like Leek and Potato but I put in some frozen cauliflower instead of potato; it was thick and lovely!
    I need to spend some time looking at the recipes on the forum. Thank you for your help. I am starting to feel a little more confident now!

Please log in or register to post a reply.