Feeling Frustrated Today

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by ScottM
    on

So today is Day 6 of week 1 for me on the BSD and after pretty steady weight loss of 7lbs, I stepped on the scales this morning to discover I’ve gained 1lb which is very frustrating!
    However, my blood sugar level has been in the normal range for the last 3 days (I’m T2 diabetic) and has only once been in the diabetic range since I started the diet. I’ve lost an inch round the waist, my blood pressure is back to normal (was 140/100 now back to 120/80) and I’ve increased my exercise significantly.

I think I have a couple of ideas what may have caused the weight gain – haven’t had a bowel movement since Monday when I had some unpleaset runs from the metformin (I think!) and I didn’t appreciate or understand the relationship between sweetners and insulin – I’ve been finding drinking water (even with a slice of lemon or some berries in it) very bland so had some Robinson’s Apple and Blackcurrant juice yesterday as the bottle listed negligible carbs but I wonder if that spiked my insulin to prevent me from burning fat. I am not a fan of black tea, so have been having 1 cup with some milk after dinner (and accounting for the calories) but I’m still averaging the 800 cals a day.

Not intending to give up, and I’m looking at the positives but I’m still finding it a bit disheartening today!

*edited for spelling*

• posted by RubyG
    on

Hi Scott, no need to feel frustrated and please don’t give up – you’ve already seen the benefits in your BP and blood results, the weight loss will happen.
    I’m sure sunshine-girl will provide better advice from a diabetes perspective, so I won’t comment on the cordial and insulin and fat burning.
    Do you weigh every day?
    Someone on here had great advice re. weighing and a lot depends on what is in your gut at the time of weighing, plus the water balance etc.
    Don’t let an apparent gain of 1lb take you off track – keep on it and even if you do weigh every day, expect some fluctuation and chart the losses over 1 week – so this week you have lost 6lb which is great!

• posted by JGwen
    on

Hi Scott.

Just to add to the other comments, our bodies are made up of 60% water. –
    We are advised to drink 2 litres of water a day, each litre weighs 1kg. = 2.2 lbs.
    Professional jockeys can discard upto 5lbs on the day of a race to reach target weight just by using a sauna (to levels outside those recommended by the medical profession).

The scales are really not a good way to track progress.

• posted by Jennie10
    on

Hi Scott
    I’ve just sent a long response to one of your other posts so won’t say too much here but one of the things I left out was that I found when I exercised more I didn’t lose as much weight. I never really worked out why that should be but I know other people have sometimes commented on it. It might just be worth throttling back a little bit on the exercise at points and see if that makes a difference.
    Jennie xx

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Hi Scott, I have just done a long response and done the stupid thing of hitting the back key and deleting it, so I will paraphrase what I have said.
    Firstly, great losses and great results with the BG. You have discovered why this diet is so good for diabetics. As for the small gain, you are right, it might be the lack of movement. On the subject of Robinsons etc… sweeteners fool the body into thinking it is getting sugar so it pumps out insulin to combat that. Then it realises there is no sugar so the liver has to do a job of neutralising the insulin thereby causing a BG spike. Also, have you heard of the Dawn Phenonomen – put it in the search engine.

Asparteme can also have the effect of causing diarrhea. Have a look on You Tube at the spoof letter to Haribo about the lady who ate a whole bag of sugar free gummy bears just before getting on a plane. It is hilarious.

• posted by ScottM
    on

Thank you all for your insightful, helpful and kind replies. It really helps knowing there are others out there who can help me stay on track!
    I’ll stay away from the diluting juice for the time being and i’ve decided to give my lefts a day off from the exercise bike! Will pick that up again tomorrow, instead I’m going to take a short walk and get some fresh air before it gets dark!

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Hi Scott, just seen another diabetic on this site who has had a hypo so thought I would just pop by to say:- the reduction in BG can be rapid, keep an eye on your numbers, be aware of how you are feeling and maybe even talk to your doctor if you are on meds as they may need adjusting. Take care.

Please log in or register to post a reply.