Feeling despondent

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Jimjamz
    on

Hi everyone,
    I’m now on my last day of week 2. I lost 9 Ibs in week 1, but so far I’ve not lost anything in week 2. Finding it hard to keep going, when I’m not losing anything. Has this happened to anyone else?

• posted by Flash21
    on

Hi Jimjamz,

Sorry to hear you’re feeling despondent. From what I’ve read on these forums, a plateau is fairly common soon after you start this plan. The key is to keep going and not give up as you could only be a couple of days away from a sudden big loss. Have you done anything differently this week compared to last? Have you kept up your water intake and so on? Small changes might make big differences! Also, are you tracking your food/cals/carbs?

• posted by Igorasusual
    on

It happens to loads of people Jimjamz. Just put plateau in the search box!!!

Please don’t worry. But have you MEASURED????? And are you testing yourself against target clothes?

Is your waist slightly smaller? Is your belt looser or are you using a different notch?

Sometimes visceral fat (round your organs) goes first and for some reason doesn’t show in the weight.

But whatever – don’t lose heart. Have you worked out what 10-15% of your starting weight is? Ok, now pick a figure at the low end – say 12%- and divide this down into 8 weeks. This is the amount you should lose ON AVERAGE each week. But it won’t necessarily stay level each week as everyone is different.

Don’t lose heart – keep on keeping on. It will happen in the end. Believe me 🙂

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Hi there, 9lbs in one week, wow. You have had a really big loss and your body is saying ‘what the hell is going on here’ so it is going to recalculate what it knows and expects. It is not going into starvation mode where some people believe your metabolism stops. That is no longer seen to be true. It is just adjusting, to the weight loss and to the changes in food intake. Also, on this diet because of the way chemicals in your body react to carbs and the work it has to do to process them (thats the science bit over) you may actually be losing internal fat around your liver and pancreas, which weight different to body blubber. That is where the good work is happening, although you don’t say if you are diabetic and I am too lazy to check through any previous posts you may have made (that was a joke) but, even if you are not, there will be things going on behind the sceens. Like, your liver improving, your cholesterol going down etc etc. It is a mini miracle.

Before IGORASUSUAL comes on and shouts HAVE YOU MEASURED YOURSELF, I will do it for her. Sometimes loss is seen in other ways. Come on Igor, tell it like it is. LOL.

Don’t get disheartened, have you ever lost 9lbs in one week before. I bet not. Keep on keeping on.

• posted by Patsy
    on

You’ve lost 9 lbs already – that’s jolly impressive. If you’d lost 4 1/2 lbs in each week, how would you feel?

• posted by Billingebabe
    on

I have completed week 2 today (8.5lbs down) and have not dropped a pound in the last 4 days. However I can get into trousers I couldn’t wear 2 weeks ago, I am full of energy, sleeping well – no constant trips to the loo and drinking water for my thirst. These things mean more to me than the scales. Oh and I no longer have swollen ankles – and my legs are slimmer! There must be other positives for you jimjamz. Focus on them and carry on. It will happen.

• posted by shalimar
    on

You lost 9 pounds in 1 week!!!! You gotta give your body and spirit some adjustment time!

Hey … i lost almost 20 pounds in about 17 days fasting …. gained 10 back … but my clothes still fit better … and frankly most days i didn’t hit the 800 ca. goal. It’s a learning process. My goal is still to be at 199 pounds by December 10 ….. and it WILL be accomplished but it is very unlikely to done without it’s ups and downs. If you get discouraged and quit every time you hit a down turn …. you won’t be there to enJOY the up turns.

I often think we just expect too much and too soon. Patience is a good thing!

Right now i have a bad cold …. yesterday i hit my 800 calories because i didn’t have the energy to put together a meal … today??

Right now i just want to get over this cold and feel like even getting minimally active again.

Please log in or register to post a reply.