Feeling cold

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Celia
    on

I’m 3 days into the diet and have lost 3 pounds so far and finding it all very easy to do so far.

One thing though is I am really feeling the cold. It started last night, I had to get up to wrap myself up in a fluffy dressing gown and blanket, turn the heating on and go back to bed all wrapped up. Anyone else experienced that?

Another point is I’m not sleeping, I wake at 2 or 3am and can’t get back to sleep for about 4 hours.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Hi Celia – welcome to the forum and the BSD family. My best guess is it’s your body protesting about the change of regime and the lack of carbs. I have not had either of the problems luckily, but most people report sleeping better, so I think you can expect that to settle and improve as you progress.

You have made an excellent start and look forward to hearing how you progress. ….. Good Luck!

• posted by Janet1973
    on

Hi Celia, I felt the cold a lot more for the first two weeks or so and it took a good couple of weeks to start sleeping better. I also felt very tired and lightheaded after a few days but it all passed. I am now starting week six and am 5 kilos down. Stick with it, you will notice things changing with time and really well done on your weight loss so far. Good job!

• posted by SOS
    on

Hi, I’m in week 3 and freezing. Wearing several layers and fluffy dressing gown when indoors. I also get flashes of intense chills. I guess it’s my body reacting to this new regime. Actually being cold is preferable to the hot flushes I am used to. I haven’the read about this as a side effect though.

• posted by Christi1948
    on

Hi sos
    I feel just like you, was freezing for a couple of days last week and starving too! Then again this week a couple of days cold, however not hungry, I know it is cold for me where I live, in sunny uk! However feeling cold with all the layers on and the central heating up high that’s not just the weather! I think it’s just the way some of us react to rapid(ish) weight loss and nothing to worry about as long as you are losing weight, keep up the good work and I’m sure you will have ups and downs but finally reach your goal, happy dieting.

• posted by kpers88
    on

I’m on day 6 and was freezing day 3 and 4 – it seems to have past now but my sleep is a lot better

• posted by 08874
    on

Hi I am on day 6 and was freezing days 3 & 4 even standing by the wood burner. I am not someone who usually feels the cold. I found the best way to get warm was to get moving, get outdoors and be active. Keep up the good work x

• posted by Celia
    on

Thank you everyone, it’s a relief to know that others are experiencing the same thing and that I know it’s ok. I can’t believe how easy this has been so far.

I’ve not felt as cold since yesterday, so hopefully that part has passed.

Good luck everyone on your missions.

Celia

• posted by Lady Penelope
    on

My husband has really suffered with cold hands and feet , he’s six weeks in and still occasionally has cold feet but it’s beginning to fade off . He doesn’t mind as he’s lost weight. Roll on summer!

• posted by SOS
    on

Nearing end of week 4 and was feeling really cold up until yesterday. No flashes of intense chills so perhaps things are normalising

• posted by GrumptoGlam
    on

So relieved to find this thread, I’ve been on 800 a day for 5 weeks, lost well over 1 1/2 stone. I had regular hot baths as felt cold to the bones every night…. I’ve just had an awful 2 weeks off plan for a number of reasons (stress mainly) and now hauled my backside back into action so I’m third day back on track ….have woken up 3.30am/4ish every night this week and lay awake till morning with restless legs. I’m arguing with my husband over the central heating levels and I’m wearing thermal undies and back to hot baths.
    I’m off work with the kids today and I’m about to take them on the loooongest walk/jog to see if that helps tonight.
    I think I’m possibly so very used to feeling lethargic, depressed, low on energy that my brain still remembers this but my body has moved on and I have to get with the program and use up that energy? Maybe it’s a metabolism thing. I’ve no real clue tbh but Fingers crossed !

Thanks everyone, this forum is priceless for motivation and is such a positive influence ๐Ÿ˜Š

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Hi Grumptoglam, I look at it this way – before this diet I had 2stones 9lbs of lard protecting my body from the external temperatures! My body hasn’t yet had time to catch up with that massive change and acclimatise itself. I am sure we will feel the cold less as time goes by!!

When you next go to a supermarket have a very good luck at the butter or lard, try and count out 42 half pound packs of fat. That is how much you have lost! I bet you couldn’t even pick it up! So no wonder we feel the cold with out all that blubber!!

Put as many thermals on as you need and rejoice that you have lost so much fat! ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by GrumptoGlam
    on

Too true hashimoto! I am fitting in clothes I’ve kept for aaages hoping to fit in them one day…. Just never thought I’d be wearing them all at once! ๐Ÿ˜ƒ
    Can’t wait for summer now. Hoping to loose another stone by then. Normally I’m hiding in the shade covered up because I don’t want my arms/legs on show and I get too hot too quickly… Recently been told by doc that I’m vit D deficient which isn’t surprising! This summer however, I’ll be soaking up the Rays and hopefully ditch the thermal vest! ๐Ÿ˜…

2st 9 is amazing btw! That’s got to be numerous clothes sizes down and a whole lot of energy up!

• posted by hashimoto
    on

You’re right grumptoglam – and I have missed the window of opportunity for some practically new stored clothes. They were just too big for me! ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Venusflytrap
    on

Nice to know the mini ice age I experienced yesterday wasn’t just me or a cold coming on. I had to resort to an extra layer, two blankets and a hot water bottle. Oh and I had a pot of tea plus a couple of my pints of water were swopped to hot water instead of cold. My late afternoon chicken broth was welcomed too. It lasted a couple of hours. I did warm up after that. Nice to know if exercise makes a difference because I cancelled my walk because of the cold. What was amazing though after 1 day plus 2 meals on the diet, I lost a whole half lb at my weekly weigh in, after a terrible Easter weekend including a takeaway, a biscuit binge, a toast supper and loads of chocolate and marzipan. All foods I wouldn’t normally have. Do others find that cutting carbs works so quickly?

• posted by SchnitzelVonKrumm
    on

I know this is an old thread. I just want to say I am freezing!! I am wrapped around a hot water bottle at night. Would love to know the biology behind this. Brrrrr!

• posted by pod
    on

Absolutely freezing!!!!!!!
    It’s 21.5 degrees in our living room… and last night I was trying to watch TV in comfort!!
    I had 3 layers of clothes on, plus 2 pairs of socks, and a huge fluffy dressing gown. Cuddling a hot water bottle and a mug of bovril. OH has shorts and T-shirt on!!!
    Week 15 of the BSD and I’m still feeling cold.. Must be all that lard removed from my body! 40lbs, thats 80 packs (i think)
    Wish my body would hurry up and acclimatize, even my nose is freezing!! If it was winter here in the Uk I would swear I had frostbite!! LOL!!!
    Today, as I’m moving around doing what I do I’ve only got 2 layers on!!

• posted by crabbycams
    on

Hi Pod, For the first time in about 20 years I’m feeling the cold. But I still get hot flushes! But not when I need them. Not fair. I also get chills up and down my left side. Hey ho. I just let it all happen and wonder what will happen next. Mind you it is winter here. As I settle down at work each day I gradually disrobe, eventually needing to put on my fan when I have the afternoon hot flush. Then do it in reverse to go home. At home, I would usually not bother too much with the gas fire (rented house) and make do with the cat and a duvet, but now need the fire on all night, albeit on the lowest setting. What I’m saving on groceries will be spent on gas! Perhaps next summer I won’t feel I’m going to expire from the heat.

At least it is easier to get warm than to cool down, I think. Stay warm and busy.

• posted by Mixnmatch
    on

A few of us have found that if we pushed up the exercise while going through the feeling cold stage it actually helped reverse it. Apart from my hands which still often seem to get cold I now feel the cold as little as I did before, and that is without the layers of insulation, as I am now maintaining. In fact in some respects I stay warmer than I did before.

• posted by Hil1502
    on

I welcome the cold feeling. Before I would eat (too much/wrong stuff) & just boil up. I hate feeling hot. Was also getting hot flushes. I’ve found both now much reduced and life is a lot more comfortable.

Please log in or register to post a reply.