FEBRUARY 2024 : Twelve week Reset one week one month at a time to end March 2024

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by wendleg
    on

Well, January is over and we are one third through this 12 week reset programme !

We hope it has been a positive time and motivation is still intact . Let’s keep going ! We are looking to achieve better health and we are all using slightly different approaches according to our health needs and what works best for us .We have lots of experiences to share.

However as SG has said, we are not just here to celebrate any successes , We know there are occasional wobbles and cravings and it’s hard to break the destructive cycle ….

So ….If you have been struggling , don’t dwell on any negative thoughts and move on, onwards into this new month . Focus on a fresh start , don’t allow yourself to be held back by self sabotaging behaviours . It’s not easy but we will always offer advice and suggestions .We have been there !

Please continue to join us on this 12 week reset wherever you are !

Wendy, sunshine girl and SunnyB

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Just a quick post to thank Wendy for keeping us motivated with a new thread and inspirational words. It’s amazing the first month of 2024 is almost done and we’re about to embark on the second. It’s an opportunity to make a fresh start, regardless of whether the past month brought you good results or disappointment.

As I’m going to be away from home for most of February, I won’t be here very much but will try to read all posts and contribute occasionally. I’m hoping that I’ll be able to maintain control whilst away, but there will be some alcohol and a few more carbs, so fully expecting some impact, which will need tackling once home again.

Anyway, forget January and do your very best to make February count …. you can achieve great things in four weeks!

• posted by Verano
    on

Thank you for the new thread.

Wendy lovely motivational words. It made me look for a sound bite for February……

ONE DAY OR DAY ONE?
    YOU DECIDE.

I liked this! Hope it keeps me on the right track through February . Every day can be Day One.
    Have a good month everyone.

• posted by Sue66
    on

Hi
    I am new here so not sure if this is the right place to post?
    Just back from holiday and on day 5, prior to holiday was feeling really fat, nothing fitting, never weighed so much, so bought the book took it away with me and read it cover to Cover and back again!
    Went shopping on Sunday having planned a week and got stuck in, calories ranging from 750 – 950 daily, 3.2ltrs of fluid, pretty much half water half black tea, just had a headache on Sunday but fine now, if I feel a bit hungry I have a drink and that solves it. So 5 days in and 7lb gone!! I know most is fluid at the moment and that rate of loss won’t continue but feel so motivated by it- Sue

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Welcome Sue … this is absolutely the right place to post. Sounds like you are off to a really good start and seen a great result for week one. Your strategy to stave off hunger is a good one and you have a good handle on your calories too. Keep up the good work. If things get difficult feel free to shout out and someone here will offer support and advice. Equally, we love to celebrate the successes, so please keep us updated on the wins too.
    Remember, those wins may not always be scales related, they maybe sleeping better, clearer skin, clothes fitting better etc., so don’t get disheartened if the scales don’t always show what you were hoping for. We’re here for the long haul and results are not linear, but don’t allow that to knock you off track. As Sunshine-Girl says, keep on keeping on.

V, really like your ‘one day or Day One’, it’s so apt for what we’re aiming for here. If we want results we need to seize the day!

• posted by happysnap
    on

Thanks for all the encouragement and support on the previous thread, everyone.
    I am sticking with my new plan of adding a small target every day and it feels weird because I am such an all or nothing person, but so far so good…
    Verano, I like the one day or day one mantra- and I think I will keep that in mind- so that every day stays Day 1, if you know what I mean!
    anyway I am determined to do well this February and I’m glad to be here with all of you.
    wishing everyone the best in reaching their goals!

PS has anyone read the book by Andrew Jenkinson, “How to eat and still lose weight”? I thought I might want to order it but wondering what the consensus is. Would be happy to hear!

• posted by Verano
    on

Happysnap I’ve not read that book but do have the audio version of his ‘Why we eat ( too much). I listened to it quite a while ago and really enjoyed it. Not sure if it would make for ‘easy’ reading but I do remember learning ‘new things’. Sorry I can’t be of more help.

• posted by RubyG
    on

Day one or one day! That needs to keep me going today.
    Disrupted week with very early starts, poor sleep due to night sweats hasn’t helped, and more than usual the amount of work stress.
    BUT – I have had 4 or 5 good, balanced days (too many cals but low carb and good cals) and then today – the work lunch area is overflowing with cakes and biscuits!!!!!!
    I have walked away and returned to my desk with a milky coffee – more cals and carbs as I usually drink black coffee, but it will fill me more and hopefully quieten the sound of the cakes calling me.
    I’ve also told everyone around my desk I am not eating cake, so I can’t let them down either.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Happysnap … little incremental changes is a great way to go and keeping everyday as Day One is a good strategy. We all make more effort at the start of something, which can often fade with time, so making each day the first should help. It will hopefully help you to make this way of eating a sustainable habit.

Sorry, no idea about the book … not something I’ve read. Hope someone else can offer an opinion.

• posted by Sue66
    on

Sounds like you are making good choices based on the obstacles in front of you Ruby, night sweats are awful, I know it’s early days for me but if I can help I will, well done you x

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Hi everyone, I feel I am late to the party as so many of you have posted. Welcome back to oldies (not in years) and newbie – hi to Sue66 – your calorie intake sounds fine, days of just over don’t really count as there will be days when you have less. All evens out and anyway, what is another 50 to 100 cals considering what we used eat. You have made a great start.

My weight loss for January comes in at 5.92lbs so can I say 6 ??? New goal for February is 4lbs – imagine losing 10lbs in 2 months that will be 20 lbs by the time I go on holiday – fingers crossed although luck has nothing to do with it. Determination, motivation and downright stubbornness.

Appt with optician today and there is no sign of diabetic neuropathy – so after nearly 19 years from diagnosis I am still obviously doing the right things and keeping my health good(ish). Although I am showing early signs of cataracts and glaucoma so I am going for more tests.

Onward with our new month and all the best to everyone.

• posted by Verano
    on

Happysnap I’ve just read the sample on Amazon and I must say the book looks interesting. I think I’ll go back and reread his first book.

S-g I think lots of us start to suffer with cataracts. I was diagnosed a year or so ago but I’m leaving them until I really need them doing. Well done on 6 pounds a great start to the year.

I have my annual blood test tomorrow and I’m feeling slightly optimistic. My last HbA1c was 41 so I really need to get it down to remain in the normal range. I think I may be ok.

• posted by Sue66
    on

Thanks everyone, I am definitley stubborn and determined to feel better about myself before my next holiday.
    I am inspired by you all already, I am not diabetic or even pre diabetic but t is in my family and they way I am piling weight on now, it won’t be long!!
    So trying to be proactive, got about 2.5stone to lose before I will feel comfortable, have done every dirt there is even been a slimming world consultant, but right now this feels good, thanks again everyone x

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Sue, being proactive in taking control of your health is what this WoE is all about. My guess is you’ll find the approach very different from Slimming World/WW etc., as it turns the low fat / high carb ethos on its head.
    It seems counter intuitive and most of us struggled with eating more good fat (even dairy) and cutting the carbs, but the science behind it is well research and sound.
    Glad you’re finding things are falling into place and you’re feeling good, but don’t be scared to ask questions if you been to, we’ll be happy to help if we can.

• posted by wendleg
    on

Welcome Sue66 !
    Well done RubyG im resisting the carbage !
    Brilliant result for the month SG . You have an iron will …Brilliant!
    Happysnap…no I don’t know that book. My go tos in the early days were Jason Fung, Gary Taubes and anything keto related.
    Hope your blood results are good,V.
    Have a lovely trip,SunnyB xx

• posted by Wendy1947
    on

Thank you for setting up this months thread Wendy & well done everyone who is continuing to lose weight which is a brilliant example to us all.
    Welcome Sue66 I’m also not diabetic but on here to lose my excess weight & prefer low carb eating & fasting.
    Wendy I’m definitely having a bit of a wobble since Christmas but will keep on going.
    I hope February will be a good month for everyone 👍🍀🍀
    Margaretxx

on

I hate it when I log onto this site and I have to tick the box saying I accept cookies. No I don’t, they are carbs.

That’s all I have to say today.

• posted by RubyG
    on

RubyG did not succeed in avoiding all carbage, alas – work cakes were avoided, but friend’s 30th birthday cake later that evening was not – damage limitation – hubby and I shared a piece!

• posted by LittleDrummerGirl
    on

Morning all!
    Popping in to bookmark my place on the new thread. Still on track here, but my swim on Thursday was dreadful – I started with a cold on Wednesday and I’m asthmatic, which doesn’t usually cause any issues, but I just could not get a full breath while swimming on Thursday. So frustrating. Managed 2.3k but so slow that if I do that in the event at the end of April I won’t even finish the distance before the cutoff time! Never mind, it’ll get better I’m sure.
    Still full of cold today – sat in the awning at our caravan contemplating my next crochet project while snuffling, aching and feeling sorry for myself 😆 I always find it tougher to stay on track at the caravan – it was designed for relaxation, alcohol and junk food when we settled into this pitch 😂 I was sat looking at the bar last night, wondering how I can work my favourite cocktails into 800 calories and given they all include Baileys or cream, I came up with a blank 😂 I then started eyeing up the Prosecco – so went to bed! One good thing I’ve found about only eating 6.30am to 12 is that I’m much less likely to drink in the evenings as I don’t like to drink without eating, so that stops both the drink calories and the inevitable associated junk food calories!
    And typically, just as I was wondering if I should get my bike out, pump up the tyres and go for a gentle cycle (haven’t been on it in years!), it starts to rain! Ah well, crochet it is!
    Have a good weekend everyone and I’ll be back to report weigh in on Tuesday 👍

on

Bonjour from France. Yes, I was in a funny mood yesterday. I felt like I was going mad. After my eye examination I was given various bits of paper with phone number for the glaucoma eye testing and also my next appointment card. Lost both, found slip of paper with phone number but still cant find appt card – luckily they send it to your phone. Serious senior moments and still cant find the appt card. I am normally really organised and have a bring forward file and know where everything is but I couldn’t find anything. I think I was stressed after the appt and also had drops in my eyes so I felt slightly disorientated which also stressed me out.

Okay, all is well. Weight is stagnant which I put down to a vegan curry of chickpeas and butternut squash but trying to do a couple of days a week either veggie or vegan. And I make my own curry flavour using garam masala, cumin, ginger, garlic, turmeric, chilli etc etc. I had recipes that say ‘now add curry paste’ – to me that is not cooking. It was delicious but carby.

Dont worry Ruby, sharing is better than eating the whole thing. You will soon get back into the swing of things and I am lucky not to have the temptations you face so you are super good.

Anyone watching the masked singer. I think I know who the creature with the bandaged foot is, and I got last weeks right. It is so stupid but a bit of fun.

LDG you are already doing enough so dont worry about one disappointing swim. Not the end of the world. Dealing with other things like asthma make it hard enough without kicking yourself about it. You didn’t give in on the caravan temptations so you can give yourself a big pat on the back for that.

Enjoy the weekend.

• posted by Wendy1947
    on

Just an update that I weighed today & have gained one pound in weight but I suppose it could have been worse & is my first gain since 1st January.
    I do watch the masked singer S-G & Gladiators at least will be tonight after my husband has finished watching rugby! I’m just off to prepare pesto baked cod on a base of ratatouille vegetables but did have a large glass of Shiraz with some nibbles at lunch before a bowl of homemade cauliflower soup so over my calorie allowance today.
    I hope everyone has an enjoyable weekend it’s grey & overcast here so rather depressing.
    Margaret

• posted by Sue66
    on

Happy Sunday everyone.
    Wendy a 1lb gain since 1st Jan is nothing, well done you.
    SG I have senior moments all the time, hoping menapause and not dementia!!! Most recent HRT gel in bathroom, picked up toothpaste and was ready to rub it in my arms!!! 🤣
    So end of 1 full week for me and 8lb gone, so chuffed.
    Looking forward to week 2, and planning for shopping done.
    Just a quick question do you trust the calories on the recipes in the book, some of them look a bit low to me and am wondering whether to start checking them? Thanks in advance and have a great day❤️

• posted by Wendy1947
    on

Wow Sue666 shedding 8lbs in weight is a wonderful result very well done👏👏
    I’m hoping a four pound loss in February will help me get back into a better focus.
    Keep on going everyone 👍🍀🍀
    Margaret

on

Hi all, firstly Sue666, no don’t trust the calories in the books they can be up to 10% out. Someone on here did their daily calculation from the book and came in at a really low number then he (I think it was a he) put the same foods in MFP (myfitnesspal) and came up well over 1000 cals. I looked into this for him and noticed that the homemade shake he had showed no carbs but it was oats and rice powder plus lots of other things, secondly the main meal showed around 10 carbs but I counted more than that in the apple and leek accompaniment. No never trust the books.

Sure my senior moment(s) are not menopause but I do worry about being a bit scatty when I have always had such a good memory. No I don’t think about dementia, just getting older.

Watched Masked Singer and got another one right although I couldn’t remember her full name – see notes above about memory. So that is 3 so far. Didn’t get the first reveal (I am not naming in case someone is on catch up) but neither did Davina and he is her best friend.

Looking at my week ahead and I have hair appointment on Tuesday with lung doctor on Wednesday – which is also my birthday. I don’t know why she wants to see me so soon as I have an appt for 1 year but she also gave me an appt for April then changed it to this week. I only saw her on 18th Dec. Maybe she is worried about my breathless symptoms and wants to check up and also see my results from the cardio etc. You are supposed to take everything with you and I didn’t think to show her my latest cardiogram. Anyway, I can tell her the good news that I am feeling so much better, walking without getting breathless and even managing to do aerobic exercises.

I’ll shut up now and let you all enjoy your Sunday afternoon.

• posted by Sue66
    on

Very interesting Verano, I think I agree.
    I reckon it’s all about moderation and definitley choosing new potato’s which are less starchy and more fibre because you tend to eat them with skin on!
    Thanks SG I will do my own calculations from now on
    Am hooked on Reacher at the moment so not watching anything else.
    Pork chilli for tea, with cauli, broccoli and sprouts instead of rice. X

• posted by Verano
    on

Still on track here. Onwards to another week!

• posted by LittleDrummerGirl
    on

Morning
    Just popping in to report weigh in result. Lost 2.8lb this week, which I’m surprised about as I still have a cold and some sore muscles so was expecting a smaller loss due to fluid retention. Lightest weight in 16 months – happy with that – onward to week six!
    Have a good week everyone!

on

Hi all, only managed quarter of a pound this week but it is still a loss. Will be having a couple of glasses of wine tomorrow for my birthday and then a meal out on Saturday so not expecting any losses for next week. It is only once a year.

Well done LDG, 2.8 is a good loss. You are getting lighter and lighter. Verano, I agree on the potatoes and also the theory that twice cooked causes some sort of starch resistance so do not burn up quickly when eaten, but my problem would be where do I stop. The last time I had a super jacket potato was after all my fasting tests a week before surgery and we went to the Jacket Potato restaurant. At least not in the house.

Hair done today so feeling sleek. I wont be getting it done again until just before our cruise at the end of April. Hubby has booked in for 6 weeks but that is too soon for me, like to leave it 8 weeks. So she is coming to us and then we are all going out to our favourite restaurant as she keeps saying she has heard so much about it. Hope she likes it.

Just going to learn a few more French words for my appointment tomorrow and then relax for the rest of the day.

• posted by Sue66
    on

A loss is a loss SG, my loss has massively slowed now, which I expected, will be happy with any loss this week, only week 2 for me so going to try and stay off alcohol for a 2nd week if I can!!
    In terms of potato, I would be the same, I know if I allowed myself to have a little it would soon become a lot, I would also be the same with bread and chocolate so for me for now I am better to avoid completely!
    I can’t do that with alcohol but will be trying to make better choices and limit the amount to help me stay on track!
    Well done LDG 2.8lbs is ace.
    Am just loving this plan and the chance to share with others, thanks everyone😁

• posted by 1960smp
    on

Can’t believe we are yet again in another week and I sort of feel life is going so fast by!
    I have been so busy shopping. preparing and making marmalade. It is quite addictive to say the least! I started jam making last summer and use it to raise money for charity by asking friends to have a jar in return for a small donation ,its working.
    Sorry that was off topic but that’s where I am.
    Sadly, it has affected my plans to eat properly, so will jump back on this wagon / bus and give it another go.

Well done to those who have seen losses and you do inspire me!
    As I get email notifications, I get to read posts but can sometimes feel guilty so don’t post but that is not the way forward. Tomorrow is a new day, new beginnings ….

• posted by Sue66
    on

If I was making jam I would be eating it!! As a newbie for me I find it really helpful to know you are all real people! Not perfect, just doing your best and when you fall off the wagon, picking yourself and each other up and carrying on.
    I know it’s a slimming world slogan but it still fits here
    “We are doing this so we can live, we don’t live to do this!”
    So it’s right that we celebrate birthdays, fall off the wagon occasionally or just need a takeaway on a friday! Here for the long haul, I am inspired by all of you x

• posted by Verano
    on

🥂🎉🍾 HAPPY BIRTHDAY 🍰🎉🥂 Sunshine-girl.
    Have a lovely day!

• posted by Wendy1947
    on

Happy Birthday sunshine girl 🎉🍾🎁💐
    Margaret xx

• posted by Sue66
    on

Happy Birthday Sunshine Girl
    Have a great day
    Sue x

• posted by wendleg
    on

Hello everyone…I think this is Week 6 ?
    Stay focused and positive….Spring is coming !

Happy Birthday Denise / SG !
    Today is for you…treat yourself !💐🍷🍾😚😚

on

Hi all, thank you for all your birthday wishes.
    Just back from the hospital. It wasn’t a consultation with the lung doctor, it was to have a sleep apnea machine connected up for tonight. I told her it was my birthday and I was having a few drinks and she just said I might sleep better, so it is not a problem. Just have to take it back in tomorrow morning. Nothing special happening, still did 30 mins aerobics and food is just my usual but a bottle of wine cooling in the fridge.

Just returned to post in time – forgot to say the grues were flying over this morning. It is the first sign of spring with summer on the way. (btw grues are cranes).

Have a good day.

on

Hi all, a few drinks did very little damage so back on track. I took the machine back to the hospital this morning and they rang me and said there was nothing on the recording so I have to go back next week. Hey ho.

Hubby finally decided to go to Burger King as we were very late finishing our shopping, I had a burger with no bun and a plain salad with some balsamic vinegar and oil. Also, as a birthday treat my local Picard (frozen food store) sent me a voucher for either a chocolate mousse cake and an apple tart. Picked up the apple tart and it is in the freezer for when hubby wants some.

Have a good day.

• posted by Wendy1947
    on

Pleased you enjoyed your birthday S-G
    I’ve lost no weight this week which I suppose is better than gaining any but I’m continuing to battle food & wine temptations & the grey miserable weather is definitely affecting my mood, motivation & energy levels. Hopefully if the weather improves with brighter days so might my motivation & focus.
    Well done everyone who is doing well 👏👏👍
    Margaret xx

• posted by Verano
    on

Hello everyone.

Just a quick word from me to say my annual bloods were good…. BS down 2 points to 39, kidney function up 2 points, cholesterol stable so all looking good.

Now just keeping on keeping on ….

• posted by Verano
    on

I’m having a ‘weird’ but not ‘wonderful’ week. Can’t quite put my finger on what’s happened.
    I was just wondering how those of you who have been ‘journalling’ for nearly six weeks are getting on.
    Now that you’re almost half way through the 12 week reset would you recommend a journal?

• posted by wendleg
    on

Well done V on your results..that must feel really good ! You and SG are both amazing !

As far as the journal is concerned I do enjoy filling in my daily foods, blood glucose and ketone readings. I don’t always need the Reflections bit but I like having a 12 week accountability tool in one little book.

However..to be honest if you like a journal you could just have a pretty notebook or diary format.
    I haven’t slipped off plan at any time as we haven’t had any social occasions to navigate and if we have friends over ( cooking for a friend recovering from a hip operation) I just make something different for me.
    I keep seeing recipes for low carb breads and treats of various sorts but I am steering clear as I think I would find self control difficult around so called healthy,keto alternatives. So just Greek yoghurt and berries for me. I think my sweet tooth is under control right now and I don’t want to risk falling into the complacency trap again.
    Have a great weekend everyone. We have rain today so not venturing out right now xx

• posted by Wendy1947
    on

Good news about your blood results Verano 👍& you getting back on track S-G👏👏
    I’ve been reviewing my dieting January & actually not as bad as I had thought because I have lost five pounds in weight but still have 2.5 lbs to go to get back to my pre-Christmas weight when I had lost two stone.
    Keep going everyone 👍
    Margaret xx

on

Hi everyone, well done with your bloods V. Does your doctor accept you are now in remission or is he/she a stick in the mud like mine.

I was out for lunch today as a belated birthday treat but was very careful with my food. Passed on the starter, had 2 tiny pork chops with kimchi for main and a mini tart of yuku with macha tea for dessert. One glass of pink champagne the one glass of rose. I even left some of the wine in the glass a la francaise. Hubby has never seen me do that before but I find it less and less appealing. Probably just scrambled eggs for dinner tonight. Surprise from hubby yesterday when a parcel arrived and he has bought me a pair of silver earrings in the style of Charles Rennie McKintosh, matches a necklace he bought me for my 65th.

Will get back on the wagon tomorrow and we don’t have any more celebrations until 18th March when we are going for a meal with our hairdresser and it is close enough to hubbys birthday (23rd) to count that as his treat.

• posted by Verano
    on

Thanks everyone.

No s-g I’m still in the wilderness. I see the nurse not the doctor. We have a new nurse and I felt very much like she’d seen my ‘number’ on the paperwork before she met me and I felt like she was treating me like a senile old woman! She mentioned ‘your diabetes’ so many times that in the end I had to point out that I’d had ‘normal’ blood sugars for over 6 years without medication. She asked me what my diet was and I said low carb and she said I’d be better not eating desserts etc. I told her I don’t and nor do I eat any sweets.
    She told me that my cholesterol was 5.2 and I should be on statins and I pointed out that 5.2 is my set point and has been since time immemorial. So the NHS might have moved the goal posts down but my body was quite happy at its own set point! I asked her what the ration between my good and bad cholesterol was and I don’t think she knew what I was talking about! No wonder my blood pressure was raised!
    Anyway, as you do s-g, I’ll just plod along in my own sweet way. It’s really infuriating because this nurse was quite young so the thinking is obviously still stuck in the same old rut

Wendy, thank you for your input. I have three little books so I guess one would be easier although I do cross reference them. Do you think that writing in your journal has kept you on plan or do you think with your upcoming trips and family wedding you would have stayed on plan anyway? I’m asking because I’ve been wandering a bit, not a lot but enough to make me wonder if I need to shake things up a bit. Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

• posted by wendleg
    on

V,I don’t think the journal has kept me more accountable and motivated than I would normally have been . When I first started my low carb ” journey ” in 2018 I did have a note book..a big one from the WORKS. I have always preferred to write things down rather than using apps. I don’t think the journal has made a great deal of difference to be honest but it is gratifying to flip back through the pages and see my food,results etc with not one blip as yet .( Need to go polish my halo 🤣)

Sorry the diabetes nurse was so out of touch. It is very frustrating. Same thing applies to salt being vilified where sugar is the real poison….Just fo what you are doing ,V

on

Hi there, Verano, it is so disheartening that they are still teaching the same old crap in medical circles. I would have looked the nurse in the eye and asked her if she knows what a carbohydrate is. It is beyond me that if we can gain so much knowledge by reading and researching that a doctor cannot delve into that dark world of change. Some do like Dr Unwin, Dr Mosley, Dr Fung – but they are just the few, maybe doctors will catch up with their research and studies but it doesn’t look like it will be any day soon. We know it is because they cannot accept they have been wrong for such a long time. The history of why diets changed is so unscientific it is scary. Just because a president was fat and ate fat they decided to demonise all fats without any research into different types of fats. Same with diabetes. Just because insulin worked for T1 (they die without it) then it should also be good for T2 – no research into what it does to us. As long as we stay medicated and eat enough carbs to stop us having a low reading they are happy to let us die 10 or 15 years earlier than everyone else – they have done their bit. It makes me so mad.

I am not one for keeping a journal as such. As I said before all that navel gazing is not for me. But I am glad I bought the Diabetes Code Journal as the first couple of pages of the intro led me to the full book. So back to doctors and me being mad. They are killing us. They pump us full of drugs that don’t do a bit of good except hide the problem. They don’t look for a cause unless it smacks them in the face like ‘don’t eat desserts’. Unfortunately, we are having to save ourselves and with all our knowledge are able to do so. I do have a notebook that has 5 headings – Exercise, Weight, Date, Insulin Units, Blood Results and I fill this in every day, so I guess I do have a journal of sorts. Not much into apps either.

Well that’s my rant for the day. I just wish we could get our message out to more people. I hope we are doing our bit on this site.

Not much of the weekend left but enjoy and koko…

• posted by Californiagirl
    on

Hi Verano,
    I very much sympathize with your frustration. The research supports this way of eating. More and more doctors are accepting this — there are TED talks on it, there are books being written (my more recent favorite is Dr. Benjamin Bikman’s “Why We Get Sick” — my physician sister has adopted it 100% and her best friend, a Hospitalist (doctor specializing in hospital issues) is ADAMANT that this is the way to go. It IS getting out there but it is up against a juggernaut of industrialized big-food.
    I have actually started to think along the lines that Sunshine girl thinks — that the true goal of all this is to KEEP US SICK so we become an unbroken source of money to Pharma and big-food until we pass away (15-20 years before our time).
    It reminds me of the issue of hydrogenated fats, that is fats that are hydrogenated to become more shelf stable (think margarine, fake “butter” spreads, cookies, cakes etc). I was reading about them over forty years ago and it has taken DECADES for the public to accept that they are uniquely unhealthy.
    And again, Red Dye 40 — cancer causing but in many many foods until just recently.
    And again, seed oils. Canola oil, vegetable oil — they are terrible for us but that information hasn’t really made it into the mainstream.
    It drives me nuts — almost everything in the grocery store is not good for us! We are reduced to the outer aisles for veggies, fruit, meats, fish, cheese, nuts, eggs, yogurt and butter, cream, olive oil — that’s about it! All those crazy items in the center aisles just aren’t worth contemplating.
    The thing that finally got me fully on board and never, never looking back is the research on how this way of eating is good for our BRAIN!! I don’t want a life with dementia and I’m willing to do what it takes. Happily, now I love this way of eating and I could never go back. I have endless energy, good hair, my brain works, my skin glows — the payoff is just fantastic.
    Don’t let them try to shame you. They are wrong. I don’t know what it will take for them to wake up but at least YOU are awake! Sunshine girl is 100% right — only WE can save OURSELVES.
    By the way, I have the journal too just for fun. It’s a little annoying with all the “contemplation” stuff but I use it to stay on track as we settle into living back here in the UK (in Clifton, Bristol) for a few months. Hopefully a short period just to wrap up a business deal.
    Julia

• posted by Verano
    on

Welcome back to the UK Julia! Enjoy!

Thank you both! I sort of ‘journal’ without the navel gazing. I have three note books! I guess I was just looking for ‘something’ new as I’ve been in the doldrums these last few days. Tomorrow is the start of a new week so I’ll be refreshed, renewed and raring to go!

Yes we can only save ourselves, the medical profession isn’t going to change en masse any time soon.

What was really frustrating was that I started to think that maybe I was being too hard on the nurse, when in fact she just isn’t up to date with diabetes treatments. She almost looked at me pityingly when I said I was low carb. It was as if she thought ‘ oh dear that won’t work’. I just don’t understand why when I’ve been low carb for over 7 years, drug free with normal HbA1c for over 6 years, they still insist on labelling me! Well I do actually, it comes down to money … they get paid for each ‘diabetic’ they have in their practice!

I wonder if I were to be in a new practice without my medical records and had a ‘normal’ HbA1c for 6 years would they suddenly ‘label’ me diabetic. Unlikely. There are thousands, if not hundreds of thousands, of people walking around who don’t even know they have diabetes. Maybe the NHS should be spending more time trying to identify them and let me get on with my life! In saying that at least we get regular check ups which is good. Most people only get blood tests when they feel unwell!

• posted by Californiagirl
    on

Thanks Verano! It is so lovely and green here in the UK! We’ve been able to take a weekend in York and in Exeter — wonderful cities and cathedrals!

Please log in or register to post a reply.