February 2022 : One Week at a time beginning 15th February 2022

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by wendleg
    on

So here we are mid February !
    Whatever you are aiming for stay focused !
    I am definitely looking to reset after a more relaxed time .
    So if you need to reset too, feel free to join in .
    If what you are doing is working for you,then keep going !
    Wishing everyone a successful week and remember…Spring is coming !

Wendy,SunnyB and sunshine girl

• posted by wendleg
    on

I will send the updated list when I can get on my computer.
    Hoping all is well with Tulip/Clare …it’s her birthday tomorrow ! 😉😉💝💝

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Can’t believe another week has slipped by! My BSD approach got rather woolly over the last few days, as we were entertaining guests and out for a meal. Planning on a weigh-in tomorrow, to see where things stand and hoping that things will not be too grime. Have six weeks to get myself sorted out and discard those extra pounds, so time is ticking and I need to get focused!

Wherever you are with things, please stick with it and join in here for support and encouragement.

• posted by Verano
    on

Good morning/evening and welcome ‘ new week’ ….. new week, new start and so here we go again!.
    I’m still on track losing a very modest amount each week but going in the right direction, so my goal for this week is just 1.6 lbs. I’ll just have to dig a little deeper this week.
    Have a good week.

• posted by RubyG
    on

Checking in for a new week 🙂
    Hubby had his tele-appt with the GP yesterday, re. his elevated cholesterol readings (but really good LFTs and HbA1c) and the GP has agreed to a re-test in 6 months – for one, there will not be the Christmas cheese intake, plus a better time of the year with a higher level of exercise.
    I did lose a few lbs last week when I was ill, but more importantly I haven’t had the same urge to comfort eat/snack, etc. so I do feel like I have had a reset. I am also eating smaller portion sizes again, they do have a tendency to creep up. I didn’t weigh this morning, but the office clothes I am wearing today are feeling larger than anticipated. I am between sizes on trousers, so today’s are slightly baggy, but the next size down are a bit snug over the hips/bum area – first world problems!
    I am enjoying the Prof Roy Taylor book, Life Without Diabetes.
    Have a good week everyone!

• posted by Natalie
    on

A new week already?! I didn’t get serious until last Thursday but in the five days I’ve lost 1.5 kg (apparently that is 3.3 pounds) and I am very happy with that! I’ve stuck to the diet really well and have done a couple of walks. I’m not craving carbs at all, if I’ve needed more than a cup of tea between meals I’ve had a little bit of cheese or a few nuts, but mostly I manage to wait.
    I’ve been sleeping badly since I got COVID on 1st Jan, drenching night sweats every night sometimes twice. I’ve had night sweats on and off for years with peri menopause but this is another level. So sick of changing and washing sheets. Last night I tried lying on a towel, but of course it got scrunched. Apparently it’s a known Omicron thing, but I was hoping it would have stopped by now.
    Still, I’m proud of myself for not doing tired-eating.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Ruby and Natalie, well done on your progress in the last week … keep up the good work. Ruby you’ll soon be comfortably in the smaller work trousers. Hope your night sweats will resolve soon, Natalie.

The scales were surprisingly kind to me today, 3lb down on where I was this time last week. Not counting chickens though, very aware this is just one reading and progress needs to be consolidated, happy to see some downward movement nonetheless. 😀

• posted by wendleg
    on

I will be back in a bit but just wanted to wish Tulip/Clare a very happy birthday from all of us . Hope you are feeling well enough to enjoy your day ,Clare 🤗🤗💐

• posted by wendleg
    on

The latest list !

Wendleg
    SunnyB
    Sunshine-girl
    Florob85/Lauren
    Antigone
    RubyG
    Onestep
    Tulip1/Clare
    Verano
    Elle-Mae
    Russianroulade
    Californiagirl/Julia
    Stevoka/Kerry
    Windyjulz
    JGwen
    Quetzal
    Catenelson
    Riccoh
    Sixturkeys
    Greenbean
    Merrymelba
    Prittimistri
    LauraY
    LittleDrummerGirl
    Nathalie
    Bravef800er
    Chocolat

• posted by wendleg
    on

Sorry to hear about the ongoing Covid night sweats, Nathalie. It seems there are lots of people still suffering after contracting Covid and hopefully the medics will be better informed how to deal with them , in the dark right now . Well done on not giving in to comfort eating .I remember having a little voice in my ear telling me ‘ You deserve it ‘ if I was struggling with something and it’s so easy to give in.

Did I read on another thread that Elle-Mae got engaged ?????? Woo hoo !!!! Fabulous news ! Congratulations Elle-Mae !!!! 🙂 🙂

I managed my reboot fast and didn’t eat yesterday and am contemplating what to have today. I have to be very careful on the ‘feeding days’ .ADF certainly won’t work if I overcompensate ! I made some keto scotch eggs the other day .Basically boiled eggs with French sausage meat (minced pork with a few added herbs and garlic ) and a beaten egg .The coating was a mixture of ground linseeds and sesame seeds. I baked mine but they can be fried too. You can also use coconut flour and parmesan according to Melissa Sevigny’s recipe from I breathe I’m hungry. I think I found the video recipe on the Keto Fitness Club channel .They are very down to earth and easy to watch

https://www.ketofitnessclub.com/pages/free-recipe-library

Have a great week everyone !

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Hi everyone, yes another week has come around. Well done to SunnyB, Natalie and Ruby. Ruby, glad to hear your hubby has been given a chance to get things right for himself. I think doctors prescribe because it is the easy way out for them. We are much stronger than that. Natalie, I havent heard about the Omicron sweats but there are a lot of people who have had serious side effects from Covid in general. It is not just a flu, it attacks all the organs in different ways. Lets hope we are now seeing this chapter move on from our lives.

Going back to my moan last week. Thanks V and Wendy for your advice. My problem is not the food – in fact I have the new keto book and had an excuse to try some new recipes. Also, on Sunday we had steak and I usually do a salad with it but felt like something a bit more substantial while still keeping to carbs allowance. Quite simply I did a whole pile of roasted veg. Red and yellow peppers, courgette, tomatoes and that veg with the aniseed flavour (sometimes cant remember the English words but it will come to me). I thought hubby would want gravy but said no. When he finished the meal he said it was so tasty he hadnt even bothered with the horseradish sauce he had put on the table. So lots of none root veg this week.

My problem is my exercise routine. I do a DVD by Sean T called HipHopAbs. First I can get dressed and do it in my day clothes, second it only take half an hour, thirdly he’s not too bad to look at. However, I know every word he is going to say off by heart and getting a bit jaded. Wendy, I did try Pilates a long time ago but couldnt understand the ‘take a breath into your stomach and feel it go through your back’ or words to that effect. I found it quite boring. However, I found yoga boring until I found Ariane on YouTube. You should check her out. She has lots of yoga for different people. She even broke her back in an accident and does a programme for people with bad backs. I like her 28 days beginners programme. I guess I have been stuck indoors for so long I am so looking forward to getting back out for walks and eventually swimming.

Ive remembered – Fennel. Have a good week everyone, at least that is something off my mind.:)

• posted by florob85
    on

Sunshine girl – fennel I think?

Happy birthday Tulip!

Congratulations Elle mae!! Amazing news!

Insanely busy couple of weeks for me so I’ll be in and out, but still on track, which frankly is a miracle given my mental state at the moment!!

Big love to all xx

• posted by Tulip1
    on

thank you! Feeling better than last week so have been able to do a modest amount of celebrating 😊😊😚😚😚

• posted by LittleDrummerGirl
    on

Morning all
    Still here – just. All very self-centred from me again this week I’m afraid – will try to get my energy back and catch up in the near future. Just posting to keep me vaguely attached to this WOE as it could easily slip completely right now, and I don’t want it to.

0.6lb loss for this week. Nothing short of a miracle after a night away for work, with booze, an unplanned visit to a curry house (also with booze) and a film night with the kids where I apparently replaced dinner with anything confectionery or bakery based.
    Retaining fluid and not feeling great – stress or illness I suspect as my blood glucose is up, but I remain in ketosis. Probably stress, given the cat situation and then I ended up working all weekend, plus doing ridiculous long hours last week. Now stressing about what the storms are going to do to the caravan awning (we have it on a seasonal pitch). Think I’m just in one of my anxiety phases where I’ll pin my stress and anxiety on whatever comes along that’s handy!

Have a good week folks and keep out of the wind!

on

Hi all, feeling quite a bit better today. Weight down by one pound since yesterday, so hopefully on the move again. BG was 66 (3.56), yes very low but means I can reduce insulin again. I really dont think I will ever get rid of the insulin unless there is a new drug to replace it but I am happy that I am so well and not succumbed to any of the bad things common with diabetics. I am the same with my cholesterol. Readings of around 3.5 or 4.0 then went 2 weeks without the medication and it shot up to 6.3. Doctor said as it is familial (in the family, my mother) I will always need something to help with it. I had to stop the meds as I was having what felt like heart attacks every night – muscle cramps and also in my legs and arms. Now on a new type of drug that doesnt allow so much fat into the blood stream. Also this should help me lose weight as the fat is being flushed out.

Yes flora it was fennel – silly thing is I couldnt even remember the French word which is very similar fenioul.

• posted by MerryMelba
    on

Hello everyone
    Hope your birthday was a celebration Tulip.
    I’m having a mixed week – a couple of meals out that were not on plan – but each day is a new day. 🌄
    The sound of your roasted veggies made me think of doing a lamb roast this weekend SG. Summer is still lingering but a touch of autumnish weather today. I hope all in the UK stay safe with Eunice heading your way. I hope your caravan stays safe LDG.
    I like your quote Natalie “Librarians never retire, they just get grey and crotchety” – I too am a librarian – now casual (at age 65) and plan not to retire for a bit yet! Maybe not crotchety 👵 – just occasionally groaning as I kneel down to do some shelving!
    Thanks for the link to the free recipes Wendy – some good ideas there. 👨‍🍳
    I hope your busy couple of weeks are going well Lauren – so exciting. And ⭐for the baggy pants Ruby and Verano for keeping on keeping on.
    Merry 🌺

• posted by RubyG
    on

Morning all, just a quick check-in from me this morning.
    My internet connection is intermittent, we are in the midst of an amber wind warning at the moment and it’s howling already, with a red warning on its way later this morning and into the afternoon.
    We have moved the car further away from the house and tried to prepare the garden and patio as best we can. We have a reed screen in the back garden, which we know will be destroyed today, but hoping to not have any major damage.
    I have had a busy week at work, 2 long, intense days in the office, but no visits to the vending machine or cafe so just my packed lunches and no snacks and it’s feeling good.
    I haven’t managed to catch up on all the posts yet, hopefully everyone is OK.

• posted by wendleg
    on

Stay safe out there folks.

• posted by florob85
    on

Batten down the hatches UK peeps and stay safe, I’m right in the middle of the latest red warning so all my plans for the day have been tipped upside down – was meant to be going onto campus to meet with a colleague about a project but we’re trying to do it online now which is not ideal!! Stupid Eunice

Stay safe x

L x

• posted by RubyG
    on

So far, one tree down and one roof ridge tile – luckily we moved hubby’s car slightly away from the house or we would be claiming for car damage too – I admit I’ll be happy when this starts to abate, I’m really on edge and full of adrenaline and the creaking of the house is now starting to freak me out – been like this all morning.

on

Stay safe everyone. We have strong gusts and our TV has gone all crackly so know there is something about but nothing like Eunice.

• posted by Elle-Mae
    on

Stay safe everyone.

• posted by florob85
    on

Morning all,

Well we survived Eunice completely unscathed (our greenhouse didn’t but we have a new one we haven’t built yet anyway so meh)

I’m feeling on a bit of a downer today. Completely uninspired and unmotivated. I just feel like I eat the same things all the time and it’s getting boring, but I’ve got no inspiration to try different things – it’s so easy to get stuck in a rut and routine. Then I end up either just not eating because I just can’t be bothered – and which actually usually makes me gain weight, fasting doesn’t seem to work for me! – or just eating the wrong things for simplicity or because I feel apathetic!

Urgh!

Going to have a weekend of crafting, see if that helps at least distract myself!

Hope all are ok xx

L x

on

Hi all, hope you all survived Eunice without too much damage. Floro (Lauren), at least you dont have to dismantle the old greenhouse 🙂

I understand how you are feeling about being bored with food. I have recently been the same, especially Sunday lunch, I have decided I hate it which is why we had steak and roasted mixed vegetables last week. This week we are having a ready meal of osso bucco and I will do roasted veg again. Try having a look through some recipes to see if anything takes your fancy. For me, I just ate things I really liked. I usually have something different each day for breakfast like, scrambled eggs, yoghurt and fruit, poached egg on grilled mushrooms. But for several days I stuck with the scrambled egg with a touch of chilli flakes and gratd cheese. I couldnt be bothered with yoghurt. You will get over it but I even started saying to hubby – am I turning into Pria – you will know what I mean if you watch Emmerdale. She is bulimic and struggles to eat. Yes very sad but I was starting to feel like every mouthful was an effort, even putting half a meal in a box to go back in the fridge. Food is so much a focus of our lives, especially since lockdown. We are probably finding it hard to go back to ‘normal’ lives and feeling stuck. The crafting is a great idea, dont even think about food. I have just started a new painting. One of my cheats painting by numbers. It is from a photo we had taken on a cruise when I was probably at my lowest weight after 6 or so months on BSD. But, oh boy, is it finely detailed with my John Rochas full length paisley animal print dress.

Have a great weekend everyone.

• posted by Verano
    on

Lauren, s-g I’m also in the same rut. I think as you say s-g lockdown hasn’t helped. I think lots of us have got so used to not ‘going out’ that the monotony of the same old same old is getting to us all.
    Last week I got out my Fast 800 recipe book and that helped a little. I’m sure that once this month is over and we are closer to the clocks going forward, we will all start to feel brighter. I find summer eating so much easier than the dark heavy feeling foods of the winter. Just a few more weeks and we’ll all be in a better state of mind.

on

Hi all, happy Sunday. Glad I have stuck with it. I am now at my lowest weight in the last 2 years (not my lowest every since BSD). Kicked that pesky number 4 on my scales and now heading towards number 2. (74 to 72kgs).

Hope you are all having a restful time.

• posted by Verano
    on

Great going sunshine-girl …. keeping on keeping on really does work!

• posted by MerryMelba
    on

Hi all. Busy Saturday followed by a lazy Sunday. Highlight was watching a new episode of Van de Valk 📺
    Late lunch today (Monday) after working this morning. Grilled halloumi with tomato and perilla leaf salad. Baked salmon and asparagus planned for tonight. No wine!! (after indulging over the weekend)
    koko everyone. I hope all in UK/Europe have power restored and are all OK.

• posted by florob85
    on

Ooh that’s a new one on me Merry, what’s a perilla leaf?

• posted by RubyG
    on

Still hanging in here, mostly managing to not eat between meals and keeping an eye on portion size.
    Moral victory – we went to a party on Saturday night, and stayed overnight in a hotel – we ate a pre-party supper of charcuterie, some cheese, roasted veg and olives etc. and had 3 small pieces of food at the party, and 2 drinks each. Breakfast was homemade ham and egg muffins in the room, with a coffee before check-out.
    It was a nice excuse to dress up a bit, and we both looked and felt good.
    Eunice – we lost a large-ish tree (uprooted, will have to be chopped up and disposed of), one roof ridge tile and damage to another roof tile, so will call the insurers today, thankful it was not any worse, as it certainly was the worst storm winds we have seen in 18 years living here.
    Have a good week all.

• posted by MerryMelba
    on

Hi Lauren/Flora
    My Australian Korean friend introduced me to pirella leaves. Koreans call them sesame seed leaves. Perhaps one of those herbs you like – or don’t. ( some people I know can’t stand coriander). 🤨 In Korean meals they can be used to wrap other foods like stir fried beef, pork, etc. much the same as lettuce is used in the same way in Vietnamese or other Asian cooking. My friend gave me some seeds – as I love the leaves – and now each summer they come up and keep self seeding. I am enjoying them with my garden mini tomatoes in a salad. And as a wrap for stir fries. Or just as a wrap for some cold cuts at lunch time, Good nutritional and digestive benefits. My friend makes a kimchi using these leaves. And I have found recipe for pirella pesto that I will try soon before my summer crop ends. Not sure if they are grown much in the UK. Maybe they would need the warmth of a green house. My leaves are green (not purple). looking on UK websites they may be called shiso there. Mine aren’t as feathered as those,
    Anyway- if you are somewhere where you have mild to warm summers I’m sure you could grow them.
    Probably TMI!
    Merry

• posted by MerryMelba
    on

Well done on your moral victory Ruby🥇and such a win looking and feeling good AND a night in a hotel. !! All the best with your storm cleanup. A relief that the damage wasn’t extensive.

• posted by AnnieW
    on

Sunshine-girl re exercising. My favourite three You Tube channels are:-
    The Girl With The Pilates Mat. Good, varied, many standing only work outs (and I’ve only come across the “breath into the right/left side once).
    Yes2Next is another site which is mostly standing and has varied workouts and lengths of workouts. The usp with this site is that the instructor, April, is accompanied by her 80+ mother who does variations and/or is seated for the various moves. I found this helpful after surgery last year and continue to use the site.
    Fitness with PJ, a personal trainer with longevity in the business and qualifications (not all trainers on You Tube are qualified). She mainly works with the over 40’s (I’m way over that!). I’m currently doing her 25 day challenge and enjoying it. Again, she does show modified exercises if the main movements are not right for you (I often use these). One caveat with her is that she does occasionally swear.
    Another one that comes to mind is SilverSneakers (as per the name, aimed at older exercisers) is another that I occasionally use and has some good ideas.

• posted by wendleg
    on

Yes, another week has gone by and it’s time to set up the new thread !

on

Hi there, thank you AnnieW. I have taken a note of the exercise progs and will take a look tomorrow. Exercises done for today so next routine will be Wednesday. See you all over on the new thread.

Please log in or register to post a reply.