Fatty liver but not overweight. Which course is right for me?

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by AlexH
    on

Hello all,
    I have raised liver enzymes since late 2018 and have mild fatty liver deposits confirmed by ultra sound.
    I am not overweight at all and do not drink alcohol (I have not drunk alcohol In a very long time). I eat a balanced diet but have not been able to reduce the raised enzyme levels in my liver. I was diagnosed with mild IBD (Crohn’s) in April 2019 and this may be having an effect on my liver.
    I have ordered the 8 week blood sugar diet book on recommendation from my gastroenterologist to try and reduce the fat in my liver. I am confused though. Which diet in the book will be suitable for me? I do not need to lose weight by dieting and am not diabetic by any means. I am 39 years old and weigh 75kg with a BMI of 21.2.
    Many thanks for any advice.

• posted by WindyJulz
    on

Hi Alex, I’m no expert or doctor but have a look at the low carb Mediterranean style plan. You wont need to cut calories but if you follow the moderately low carbs on that with plenty of good fats and protein it may help. The book should really help make things clearer, theres lots of science and explanations. You might also find benefits of time restricted eating. Look under “getting started” at the top of this site, that might help.

• posted by AlexH
    on

So from what I understand so far I just need to cut down on the foods that may be causing the fat to build up in my liver. I have never really eaten white carbs though as my gut is a little sensitive to gluten. I may have eaten too many complex carbs perhaps.
    Because I am a very normal weight I am apprehensive as to how much of the recommended foods to eat. 800 calories a day will put me in the underweight category in a number of weeks so that is not helpful.
    The fat in my liver is very mild but the enzyme levels are too high. I’ll what I can a go and see if it makes a difference in a few weeks.
    Any help from anyone in the same category as me would be very helpful.
    Many thanks.

Please log in or register to post a reply.