Fasting

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Elky
    on

Hi All, just checking in, there’s so much to catch up on – you’ve all been busy!

Baxter, do be careful of the Achilles- if you can see a physio or podiatrist to get advice on stretching or exercises I strongly recommend it. If I hadn’t ignored mine for so long I’d be better off now. The feeling better in the middle of the day thing is apparently a false positive- I was told it’s not getting better, it’s just warmed up so the inflammation and micro tears don’t feel so bad 😔 But the damage still goes on getting worse. I don’t mean to nag, and I’m so pleased that this WOE is making them feel better, but I do encourage you to be careful as they are miserable things!

But yes the twin thing is a bit spooky lol I loved that you got the Barbarians thing!! We can urge each other on 😌

Wendy I am deeply saddened to learn that cacao nibs can end up on naughty and banned list, lol I had thought they might be my secret weapon but it sounds like I’ll have to watch myself with them. What is it about small and crunchy- why is that so hard to resist?!

Allie, planks are a great suggestion – thank you – and I will add them to my little routine. I’m already down inspecting the dust in the carpet as I struggle through leg lifts and the ridiculously named superman, so adding planks will make it even more worthwhile getting down there! Kafin, you in? Baxter?

Thank you too for the explanation re net carbs, total carbs etc. I think I’ve worked out the problem: Australian nutritional labels and MFP (my fitness pal) talk a different language, I think because MFP is a US company? I think this means the Australian panels show net carbs because they list fibre separately and it’s often higher than the carbs? So for example the panel for my serve of psyllium husks says less than a gram of carbs and 4.5g fibre, but MFP translates that to 4g of carbs and 4g of fibre. So when it adds up my daily totals it’s including that 4g which it really should have excluded. Is that right? Does the same apply with fresh food? Eg a serve of cabbage at 5g carb of which 2g is fibre gets added in to the day’s total as 3g carb?

LouiseK, I guess you’re right that they’ll probably be pretty close anyway but 20g is so low some days that every gram helps lol

My stars I really thought I had this cracked, that I could read a nutrition label, but I’ve just realised that over 8 weeks in and I’m still a bit confused!!

Old dogs and new tricks lol

Have a grand day, Elky

• posted by LouiseKangooroo
    on

Elky, Europe and Australia have the same way to look at carbs which is great for me as I navigate between France and Australia 😅
    Check this link, it explains it much better than I could ever do.
    Regarding calories/macro trackers, if you’re in OZ you should really ditch MFP and use EasyDietDiary. It’s has the largest Aussie food database. Every random product that I buy at farmers market that has a barre code is in there! It’s freaky.
    Here is the link :
    https://sukrin.com.au/blogs/keto-information/total-carbs-net-carbs

• posted by Elky
    on

Ohhh, thank you for the tip re EasyDietDiary, LouiseK, I will definitely check it out. Will also check that link, thanks!

• posted by MerryMelba
    on

Hi Baxter, Madmare and Kafin
    It is Sunday night here, and I have been battling a cold for the last 3 days. I was hoping it would have past by now, but my head is still stuffed up and nose like a tap! And it is winter here.
    So unless I wake tomorrow feeling much better, I won’t be able to do the 24 hour fast for Monday. I feel the need for soup, eggs and tea etc BUT I will be definitely cheering you on across the international datelines.👍🇳🇿🇺🇸🇬🇧🇦🇺 I agree that I think bone broth or miso is ok for a fast as Dr Fung says.

Sorry to let the team down, and I do want to do a 24 hr fast, but probably it will be next Monday instead. 🌸

• posted by Baxter
    on

Hi MerryMelba, I’m sorry to hear you are suffering with your cold. Hopefully with good nourishment over the next few days you will soon be feeling better. In the course of the whole journey, a week’s delay is nothing. I shall lead out the fast with MadMare tomorrow. I was also hoping to do a second fast on Thursday but as I’ve been given a ticket for Wimbledon, I shall slip it back to Friday instead. Take care, Bx

• posted by Kafin13
    on

Just take care of yourself, Merry – there will always be a fast to join, I’m sure!
    It’s Sunday for me now, Baxter and I must be confused as I though we were starting after Sunday evening meal and going through to Monday evening meal? Or have I gotten it mixed up???

• posted by Baxter
    on

Hi Kafin, I think we were all on the same page, ie eat Sunday’s last meal then have dinner on Monday evening. I put Mr B on the train this afternoon as he is working in Scotland this week, and we had our main meal at lunchtime today (only do that when he’s going away). Usually when he goes, I come home and raid the fridge for several hours. So before he went, I decided that when I got home I was going to have my dinner early, so I had scrambled eggs and cheese, and was finished by 4:45pm. I got myself a big (2litre) bottle of sparkling water and a nice glass, and settled down to watch a couple of DietDoctor videos for inspiration. Then I cleaned the kitchen and spent the evening in the bath with bubbles, the fizzy water and a book. And now I’m in bed, ready to put out the light. Also, I set the stopwatch on my phone app when I finished dinner, so I can see the hours passing. At the moment it’s an encouragement; I hope it still is tomorrow morning!
    MadMare, I hope you had a fine dinner and have a good night’s sleep too.
    Okay Kafin, the baton is winging its way over to you; it’s coming gently and slowly so you’ve plenty of time to have your dinner at a sensible hour. When you go to bed, send it back here and MadMare and I will pick it up again when we get up. Have a good evening, Bx

• posted by Kafin13
    on

Well done, Baxter! Great idea on the stop watch and I’m finishing up The Obesity Code as inspiration too! I’ve also made a list of things to do to keep my mind off food and haven’t crossed out the possibility of going a little longer – will just take it as it comes. If anyone has any good ideas for things to do that don’t involve cleaning, I’d be grateful! Baton accepted, just waiting for chicken to defrost so I can have my last supper 😁

• posted by MerryMelba
    on

🏃‍♀️🏃‍♀️🏃‍♀️ Good to see you have the baton Kafin. Enjoy your chicken dinner. Sounds like you have good strategies in place for tomorrow. Good luck!

• posted by Kafin13
    on

Thanks, Merry and I hope you feel better soon xx

on

I’m trying a 24hrs fast too. Diner finished at 8pm last night and it’s 1pm now. I’m baking the kids some chips – send me strength. The smell is delicious!! 😅😅😅

• posted by MerryMelba
    on

Hi Kafin – things to do that don’t involve cleaning 😁 and take your mind off fasting:
    * How about a jigsaw puzzle? – takes ages and can be spread over several fasts.
    * Are you crafty? Perhaps knitting, crochet or cross stitch?
    * Reading is one of my faves.
    * Sorting out that pile of paperwork sitting on my desk and either file it or chuck it!
    * Immerse yourself in some inspiring Ted Talks
    * grooming your pet (I’m sure Albert is always beautiful but my dogs are usually in need of some grooming!)
    * gardening either outdoors, the balcony or adding some new houseplants

Other ideas anyone????

• posted by MerryMelba
    on

You can do it Louise! The smell of chips is tempting, but just walk away 🏃‍♀️😊

• posted by Elky
    on

Ooooh Merry, I like the idea of this list! And it’s funny because I was thinking about getting out a jigsaw for this exact reason just the other night – when I’m immersed in one I genuinely don’t want to have to stop to get something to eat! Your list is so comprehensive that the only thing I can think of to add is puzzles or going for a walk:
    * puzzles – crosswords, suduko, kenken, whatever appeals
    * going for a walk in the fresh air, somewhere without food temptations (so not past a bakery lol)

LouiseK, sending positive thoughts your way – resist temptation, resist temptation 🙂

• posted by Kafin13
    on

Yes Merry! Great ideas, thank you
    Hang in there Louise! I’ve finished dinner and started the stopwatch so consider baton in hand!

on

Can’t walk away from chips as I’m sitting at the table with the kids but I’ve focused on the mantra “not on my waist” lol
    Also they probably smell 100 times better than they actually taste. Not worth the trouble 😉
    7 hours to go 😛

• posted by Madmare
    on

Hi all
    10 hours into my 36 hour fast that’s one of the easy bits done! To be fair it’s between 5 pm and 8 that I struggle. Well done Louise for resisting the chips the smell is better than the taste! Off to work first day back after two weeks away. No doubt a mountain of emails will face me!,

• posted by MerryMelba
    on

Well done Madmare. I hope your busy day back at work helps the fasting day pass quickly.

Hi Kafin, I’ve been on the couch nursing my cold and I decided to watch a couple of Ask Nurse Cindy videos. I find her very entertaining and informative. I got thinking about your current plateau while watching this one, and thought you might find it interesting. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YKFyGCoOw9A
    For anyone who hasn’t watched Nurse Cindy she’s pretty fun, as this one about the whoosh effect shows. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xF3rmi4DJAw

• posted by Baxter
    on

Good morning everyone, I’m awake and have the baton in one hand and my fizzy water in the other. I’m working from home today, but my office is upstairs away from the kitchen so I don’t think that will be a problem.
    Louise, well done on passing on the chips, you are brave like Wendleg who can look at nuts and choc and smile at them without kissing them. I’m very impressed. And I’m delighted that you started off the international relay as MerryMelba’s stand-in. Hang on in there, the finish line is in sight x
    Kafin, I love the list of things to do. I’ve got jigsaws on my iPad and I love them. Please don’t think that my cleaning the kitchen was anything great or virtuous; I meant I emptied the dishwasher and wiped down the surfaces! But if you’d like to think of me as a domestic goddess, please do so – just nobody within 3,000 miles would be fooled 😂. I’ve also got a couple of crochet blankets on the go, so I think I’ll be getting back to those to keep me occupied.
    I did feel cold this morning when I first got up, and I put a jumper on. I did wonder if it was the weather or me, but I think it’s the weather, as I’ve had a wander round the garden and it’s warmed up.
    Have a good day everyone, wherever you are and whatever you are doing, Bx

on

MadMare, good luck with the 36 hours fast! When did you graduate from 24hrs to 36? I mean how many shorter fast did it take you to go for a longer one?
    Baxter, glad that you have the baton safely in hand. I have a cabbage stew with diced bacon and cream simmering for dinner and just mindlessly ate 10 almonds so my fast is broken 😅 doh
    23hrs. Not bad I guess!

• posted by Madmare
    on

Hi
    I didn’t really!
    I tried a 24h fast and broke at 16 h when I was so hungry I was going to gnaw my way into the fridge from the outside!
    I read The Obesity Code and decided to try the 36h as I would not be able to work the 30h fast due to my working habits.
    I have only done the one and it helps that I generally eat latish (about 8 pm) so managed the 24 hour fast and then told myself its only 26h as I go to bed early (usually around 10 ish) as I get up early. I made sure that I took a cup of herbal tea to bed. What completely threw me was how sharp I felt and the clarity of mind I experienced and the totally unexpected energy burst.. As I am usually eating at 8 I would be experiencing the postprandial torpor at that time.
    I was ravenously hungry at lunch time (12ish) but I had a strong cup of coffee and all was well. I am intending to keep as busy as possible to keep my mind off food
    Wish me luck – it might not be so easy this time!
    Mm

• posted by MerryMelba
    on

Congratulations Louise on your 23 hr fast! Excellent.
    I am cheering you both on Baxter and Madmare, as I watch Wimbledon and cheer on Ash Barty as well. She is looking in top form 🎾🎾 Lucky you Baxter to be going to the tennis this week!
    I like your name Madmare – do you have a horse? 😊
    Fast forward to both of you and Kafin.

• posted by Madmare
    on

Hi
    Sorry Louise forgot to congratulate you – well done!
    MerryMelba – yes I do have a horse (in fact have two now) – called my self after my first horse who was definately demented!
    Forgot to say that part of my earlier success was due to the OH sneeringly telling me it was a fad. At that point come hell or high water I was going to complete it!
    Lucky Baxter indeed I am green with envy – going to Wimbledon is one of my dreams!
    MM

• posted by Baxter
    on

Good afternoon everyone.
    Well done Louise, you did brilliantly and thank you for passing on the baton.
    MadMare, I may or may not join you beyond 24 hours, I haven’t decided yet. I’m now at nearly 21 hours and am feeling fine, not hungry at all, and I’ve been drinking the fizzy water. However I do still feel chilly, so I’ve got my cardigan and socks on. It’s overcast and grey here, and I still can’t decide if it’s me or the weather.
    I went out to see a friend for a couple of hours this morning. I wasn’t sure whether or not to cancel, but decided I wanted to do. When I got into her kitchen I spotted a bottle of fizzy on the worktop, so I headed off the tea, and she’s never one for biscuits, so that was perfect. On my way home I bought salmon and salad for the break-fast, but it will keep fine until tomorrow if I decide to stretch this out a bit longer.
    I’ll keep you posted, Bx

• posted by Kafin13
    on

Hi all – I’m up and at the courthouse ready to officially sign for my first case. So picking up the baton – too soon to know how I’m feeling since I wouldn’t normally eat my “breakfast” until 2pm. I’m also wondering about extending a bit longer to make up for the damage of the last few data. Either that or I’ll just do 24 all week I.e just the evening meal.
    Thanks, Merry – I’ll take a look at Nurse Cindy! I was chatting with Elky about it and I think we’re going to give it a week and then do the Egg Fast to see what happens. So if anyone wants to join in, I thought I’d start a thread and post the instructions and recipes!
    Well done, Baxter, not long to go!!

• posted by sixturkeys
    on

Hope all goes well at court Kafin. Although not an official member of the global team, I ended up (for first time) doing a 23 1/2 hour fast. Don’t know whether it was my (weak) first goes on the exercise bike, or the vacuuming with my new toy (again hardly taxing), but once I’d gone past 2pm just on water (incl bttle of San P) and black coffee, I thought I’d just carry on. In fact, I feel I could have gone on for a bit more, but had some lovely cod loin which needed cooking and also didn’t want to find myself eating late and going to bed with a full stomach. I was surprised that I really didn’t feel that hungry through the day. With the cod loin I had some lettuce, salsa of baby toms/cucumber and avocado , a cple of artichoke hearts and some feta. I feel very full now! I might try this again….possibly brunch on day 1 going through to supper on day 2 to go over 24 hours. Allie, I posted a reply to your post on the weekly thread, which seemed to “submit” but now I can’t see it. Very odd!

• posted by wendleg
    on

Well done on the fast 6T !!! Your first !! I remember your saying you didn’t believe you could handle it so that is a great achievement !

We are all with you, Kafin ! Your first case , a momentous occasion !! Another fantastic achievement !

Baxter , I have kissed a few unsuitable commodities in my life 😉 but I am very choosy these days !! Don’t be impressed…nuts and choc have been part of my life for a long long time but it was high time we had a break.. You would have been horrifically impressed seeing me scoff whole slabs of Dairy Crunch in my past life !!! I have definitely made friends with my foods now and yes, that does make me smile 😉 Your day has gone really well, yet another fantastic achievement !

Well done Fungy Fasters !!

• posted by Madmare
    on

Hi
    It’s now 10:15 so that’s 26 h. I am in bed it should now be all downhill from here! I am very hungry but the thought of bacon and eggs for breakfast is keeping me going. Going to drink my herbal tea and put out the light that should be enough to put me to sleep. OH been amazingly considerate waited for me to go upstairs before he ate. It would have been ok but I am touched by this unexpected gesture.
    Well done 6T, Baxter and Kafin
    Looking forward to breakfast!
    Mm

• posted by Baxter
    on

Hello all, I fasted to 6:15pm which was 25 and a half hours, and like 6T I felt fine and could have gone longer, but I thought I wouldn’t push it too far for my first time. I had my salmon and salad as planned, with a slice of cheese to nibble while it cooked, as recommended. I had a meeting after that this evening and just had a decaf coffee – I felt a bit smug as I gave the others biscuits and I ignored them without any problem. I don’t know yet when I’ll do the next fast; maybe Friday, or maybe next week. I’m off to bed know. Thank you Team International. Enjoy your dinner Kafin, and enjoy that bacon and eggs in the morning MadMare. Night all, Bx

• posted by Baxter
    on

Hi Wendleg, my choice was large bars of Dairy Milk wholenut or Nutella with a teaspoon in my fist. Hence my distancing myself from what is for me, a truly lethal combo. But at the moment I’m not fancying, so all is good here,

• posted by Elky
    on

Good morning all and huge congratulations to all those who are powering through their fasts. LouiseK, Madmare, Baxter, Kafin, 6T (apologies to anyone I missed), doing the happy dance for you all. Baxter, high five on passing on the biscuits!!

Merry, I hope you’re starting to feel better. I had a look at those Nurse Cindy links you recommended to Kafin and they were really interesting – you’re right, she’s a lot of fun 😊 And she makes it all really accessible, which is a gift. I now imagine my defiant fat cells as water balloons exploding against a tree – take that, drat you, begone!! LOL

Yep, as Kafin flagged we’re interested in having a go at the Egg Fast – to be honest I think I will have to vary it a bit as I don’t want to be eating every 4 hours. I also can’t see how it would make a difference to reduce the recommended food frequency, but I’m very happy to be told I’ve misunderstood the science. I’m one of those people who really like eggs so let’s see what 5 days of them does for me 😊 I will be really interested to see how the ketones track on my breathalyser from the Egg Fast as compared to a water fast. My own little science experiment lol

I’m quite pleased with myself as I hit the 36 hour point in my fast this morning with no ill effects (whereas last week I felt foul at this point and had to pull the plug). Habit’s a funny thing and I was half waiting for the shivers and dizzy trembles when I was putting my hair up this morning – and today it’s actually pinned up, much more time with arms up than last week’s ponytail lol But no, all good, which means I should now have no hassles heading on through to 48 hours (dinner) as I don’t normally eat during the working day anyway. And if I still feel fine I’ll skip dinner and head on through until tomorrow. But shall be completely guided by how my body feels about it all, one day at a time and all that.

Birdy, hoping you’re on the mend too, hon. I silently toasted you when I opened my ‘’fasting” bottle of SP last night 😊

(And Baxter, mine was a whole packet of Tim Tam chocolate biscuits. Don’t think they exist in the rest of the world, but Aussies will know them. This is like a “Food True Crimes” thread, lol)

Have a grand day, Elky

• posted by MerryMelba
    on

Congrats Baxter on 25.5hrs – I really don’t know if I can do it. I’ll see next week. Madmare and Kafin – still fasting! Have a great day Kafin with your new case – how exciting. And 6Ts – you made it through too. 🌷🌷 The bar has been lifted high!
    And Elky – 36 hrs and still going! Go girl! 🏅🏅
    and Thanks Elky – the cold as now gone a bit chesty, so skipping my usual Tuesday gym session so I don’t spread the love! 😊😊 It’s messing with my sleep, which, as we know, messes with our eating. So I have been having breakfast these past few days rather than 16/8 – but will jump straight back in as soon as this cold passes.
    Glad you like the bursting fat balloons – it’s a good visual to keep in our heads! 🎈🎈🎈

• posted by Madmare
    on

Hi
    Well done international team. I did not feel particularly hungry this morning. Just had two poached eggs bacon and a sausage for breakfast and thoroughly enjoyed it! Best of all 3lb drop I know I will regain some of that today but it is a great motivator. I slept so well last night! I am going to the races in August for a friends birthday and I have bought myself a dress. It’s much too tight and not a pleasant sight but I intend to wear it. I have 30 days to return so the challenge is on!!
    So next fast starts tonight let’s see how we go.
    Mm

• posted by MerryMelba
    on

Congratulations MM 🏅🏅🏅 That dress will go to the races 💃💃 ! That discard is a great motivator.

on

I’m fasting too MM 👋 just started 🙂
    My last 24hrs fast registered no discard at all – truth be told a little gain, which I think is all water retention due to TTOM

• posted by BeeGirl
    on

Hiya

Thought I’d pop in and join this thread – I started fasting after dinner Sunday, aiming for Thursday lunch finish, but maybe tomorrow night, depending on how I feel.

I’m hoping to stick to a couple of 40 hours each week and throw in one of these longer ones once a month or so, depending on how it goes.

Mainly doing it for the increased health & wellbeing side of things, rather than boosting the weight loss (although that’s nice if it happens!). I enjoy my fasts as it removes so much of the mental pressure from food and means that when I got back to eating, I really enjoy it.

• posted by Kafin13
    on

I’m very behind in all the posts so apologies for not responding to everyone’s comments. I had to stop at 20hrs yesterday – woke up with a headache which developed into a migraine (unrelated to the fast as it all happened before I would normally eat anyway) and eventually I had to eat to keep the pain meds down. Thankfully just a dull headache this morning so I’m taking it easy because I feel like I got hit by a bus. I may try again tonight for another 24hr one. Congrats to those that successfully completed however many hours you wanted to do!
    Luckily all I had to do at court was officially sign for the case so was able to come straight home again and I’ll start tackling things tomorrow! Xx

• posted by Baxter
    on

Hi Kafin, congratulations on getting your first case and I’m so sorry you had a migraine. Hope it doesn’t leave you wiped out for too long. Take care of yourself, Bx

• posted by Elky
    on

Hello all, just checking in 😊

Merry, glad you’re mending and didn’t succumb to full-on flu! And also glad that you’re being gentle with yourself as you recover.

MM, yay for the dress as a motivator!

LouiseK, my (limited) experience with fasting is that I don’t actually see the results on the scale immediately, even after my 72 hour fast, but they do show up a couple of days later. (That is, if they show up at all, but I’m discarding *super* slowly so have learned not to expect it every time, sadly.) I don’t know why the delay, it seems weird after a longer fast especially as there should be nothing left to digest, but that’s what I’ve observed. So you may see a fast-induced discard a day or so later. Fingers crossed for you!

BeeGirl, I am absolutely in your camp about the health/wellbeing side of fasting. The emerging science on that is just *fascinating*. Good luck with this week’s long fast, I’m trying to get to that but not getting there as much as planned. I shall just keep trying 😊 Are you going to join Birdy and Wendy’s long fast team? I think they’re thinking monthly-ish too? I’m hoping to join up <crosses fingers> Good luck with this week’s long fast.

Kafin, you’re absolutely right to stop fasting when you get a migraine!! They are a huge blow to the body all on their own, adding fasting on top of that would be mad. So sorry you had such a shocker hon, thank goodness it’s gone now and you’re recovering.

I broke this week’s fast at 48 hours, which will get me some benefits but isn’t quite what I’d planned. I did my Kafin and Elky get (less un)fit challenge exercises after work last night and was ready to eat the legs off the table half an hour later, hungrier than I’ve ever been while fasting, so I gave up and ate. I have read lots about people getting a real burst of energy from exercising in the fasted state, alas I didn’t find it so for me. But like everything else with fasting, I’ll just keep trying 😊

Cheers, Elky

on

Elky, well done on your 48hrs fast, even if this wasn’t the plan. It’s interesting that you see changes on the scales with a couple of days delay.
    I’ve only done one other fast before and registered a 800gr discard the next day that never came back. 🙂 On my 2nd fast, no discard at all but again I’m in the week preceding TTOM and easily put on 2kg of water at that time. So really, no gain during that week is like a discard.
    It will register as soon as TTOM hits.
    Today is my 3rd 24 hours fast and going great. I’m so cold though, I can feel it in my bones! 😱❄️
    I have downloaded a free fasting app, it’s pretty fun. It’s called Zero.
    4hrs to go before steak and roasted broccoli 🤤🤤

• posted by Elky
    on

LouiseK, thank you so much for the tip on that app, it does look fun!! I’ll download it and have a play.

And yes I feel the cold so much more since I started this too. I thought it was maybe due to discards – less padding so less insulation lol – but I don’t know.

Enjoy your steak and broccoli 🙂

on

24hrs fast done and dusted. Passing the baton to whoever would like to grab it 😀

• posted by MerryMelba
    on

Well done Louise ⭐️🌟⭐️ Hope the steak was good! I also had a small steak with broccoli, zucchini, spinach and mushrooms. Very satisfying. Back into 16/8 and monitor tells me I am back in keto ( despite the butter menthols I am still sucking for my cold!)
    And amazing Elky -48 hrs! Champion! 🌸🌸

on

Welcome back to keto Merry Melba!! 💪

• posted by MerryMelba
    on

Thank you Louise!
    Elky, did you drink your bone broth on your 48 hr fast? I bought some bones today to make some, so thanks for your recipe.

• posted by Kafin13
    on

Hi all – have been avoiding doing actual work by reading as much as I can about fasting and I’ve just read that in Fung’s Complete Guide to Fasting, he notes that you should only lose about a half-pound a day during a fast and if you lose any more than that it’s a clear sign of insulin resistance. So, I think that means that we need to focus on the sometimes unseen benefits of fasting (even though I know we all want it to result in more weight loss!)?? Anyway, thought it was interesting and will be something for me to measure next time I try a fast. He’s also quoted as not recommending OMAD when the main goal is fat loss, he says it’s ok for maintenance but not ideal for fat loss. I haven’t yet read the book so am just stating what I’ve seen online but those that have, may want to “weigh” in?!?! I think we should all do what works best for us in the long run so am by no means offering up advice, just thought it was interesting!
    PS. You probably all know this but he also said that the protein in bone broth with turn off autophagy so if that’s your main goal when Fasting, I think it just has to be water, black coffee and tea. Bugger.

• posted by Elky
    on

Hello all, Merry I’m so glad you’re feeling much more back to yourself. Nope, didn’t touch a drop of bone broth during my fast – as Kafin notes it’ll stop autophagy which I am obsessed with so I won’t use the broth when I’m fasting. So it’s all still in the freezer. Good luck with your batch, hope you like it 🙂

Kafin, you’re on fire! I’ve actually read the dratted book and don’t remember that point about more than half-a-pound being a sign of insulin resistance – like most of these things I need to read them more than once for them to stick!! Mind you, even at 72 hours I was nowhere near half a pound a day, and can cheerfully do 48 hours and not lose so much as a gram. Sigh.

But I do remember him saying that half-a-pound a day is the *average* fat loss while fasting, more than that is water weight and will be regained on eating. Is that the same thing? He also says the rapid weight loss happens in *early* fasting, like everything else weight loss slows down as you do it frequently. I don’t remember that he didn’t recommend OMAD for fat loss, but I do remember he counselled mixing it up to find what works for you: fast 16, 24, 36, 42, 48 whatever. And he does emphasise that the longer someone has been fat, the harder it’ll be for them to shed it. Hence he tends to counsel longer fasts in that case. And he sticks with them for a good while, like 36 or 42 hour fasts 3 times a week until desired weight is reached!! Though I remember he also thought that hunger seems worst on days 2 and 3, so a longer fast is actually easier than 48 or 72 hours? I can’t speak to that, haven’t ever managed it. Would be interesting to have a crack at some stage, but I’m definitely not there yet lol

Cheers, Elky

• posted by Kafin13
    on

It’s all so interesting , Elky!! And the more I research, the more I find out about other things that lead me in other directions – still so much we don’t know! I’m waiting on the library for the Fasting book but it’s very popular at the moment so I may just go buy it. Wanna take a road trip and drive to his clinic and demand to be taken into his program???!!! Slightly longer road trip for you 😁

• posted by Madmare
    on

Hi
    The second 36h fast complete. This time it was hard I was ravenous last night so hungry I put som double cream in my coffee.
    This morning I woke up feeling clear and refreshed. Another 2 lbs gone
    Kafin that is really interesting on weight loss. 0.5 lbs a day sounds about right (1800 calories in half a pound of fat). This confirms what I have suspected that I am insulin resistant. A routine blood test gave a HbAc1 reading of 41. As many will know 42-45 is prediabetic, above 45 is diabetic. I was knocking on the door.
    Obviously the weight loss is a great motivator but I want to get my blood sugar levels down. I had started to suspect that I was insulin resistant as over the last 6 weeks I had tried the BSD and very slowly lost 5lbs
    Well done international team.
    Next fast starts tonight hope the hunger pangs subside, but I have done it once so I can do it again!

• posted by BeeGirl
    on

Morning all, well, afternoon here now actually!
    Just a quick pop by as I’m meeting a friend for lunch at 1pm – although not sure what I’ll have as everything where we’re going seems to come between two slices of bread! Never mind, I’ll find something.
    Kafin – sorry to hear about your migraine; I get them occasionally and it’s hideous- I completely lose the ability to function and just have to go to bed. Hope you’re feeling much recovered.
    Elky – I might join the monthly group fast actually.
    So, my 92 hour fast finishes in about an hour and a half. Technically, it might finish half an hour earlier than planned – depends how quick the cafe is serving lunch!
    I’ve felt fine from a hunger perspective, just occasional psychological ‘can I do it’, ‘what lovely food am I going to eat after’ thoughts; all relatively easily banished. The only downside has been that I really could have done with taking some antihistamines and painkillers the last couple of days, but I don’t like to take them on an empty stomach as they can make me nauseous. As a result, my bee sting from Tuesday’s swarm collecting debacle has been pretty painful and I haven’t slept well at all. Fortunately, it’s a lot better today as it was getting quite tiring, as constant pain can be. Interestingly, it’s been a much worse reaction than I normally have so I’m curious if that’s because I was in the middle of a fast or just because I wasn’twearing gloves and didn’tget the sting out quick enough – although I’m not about to volunteer to repeat it to find out 😂
    So, OMAD and TMAD for the next few days for me and then back to my Monday / Wednesday 40ish hour fasts next week.

Please log in or register to post a reply.