Fasting blood levels rising!

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Imogen
    on

Hi there, I am on week 2 of BSD and so far am doing well. Little concerned that my morning blood sugar levels are rising. At start levels were hovering between 7.5 – 8 after fasting – now up to +9. Though seem to be ok in pm dropping to 6 or thereabouts. Have been consistent with the diet. Any suggestions as to why this could be??

• posted by Imogen
    on

Duh…I am such a newbie…
    Have just been reading some of the earlier topics and it seems that this is not so unusual. I will try a late evening milky snack and see if it helps…or maybe, stop testing in a.m.😊

• posted by Tofa
    on

Hi Imogen, you may have seen my posting this am….my fasting blood sugar has apparently risen from 6.6 to 8.3….having just bought a monitor…I am in despair….can you tell me about milky drink idea please? Tofa

• posted by Imogen
    on

Hi Toga, this is all a bit new to me -trying not to be baffled by the science!
    On reading through earlier posts a rise in fasting blood sugar not unusual Phew! My tests later on in the day are dropping down. Some people recommend a small snack before bed, a drink of milk or piece of cheese. I am going to give that a go tonight and see if it makes a difference. I think the phrase is ‘don’t panic’. How are you getting on with the BSD?0

• posted by Imogen
    on

Sorry that should have read hi Tofa – the auto correct function is a pain. Imogen

• posted by Tofa
    on

Hi Imogen, after the last few weeks, and now low BMI of 21-22 , I am thinking of moving over to 5:2 as the weight has just fallen off and people remarking on how “slim” I look, code for haggard in my case! I haven’t been absolutely religous about the calorie count but have been about the food types and just small amounts of low GI carbs. I am suprised at how much fruit is permissable but that has been great. So I will continue with recommended ingredients but try to remember to eat larger amounts 5xpw!! I suspect will continue to fall off! At present hanging onto porridge (as have high cholesterol) but if no improvement in blood sugars will have just milled seeds, yogurt and fruit! CheersTofa

• posted by Imogen
    on

Wow you have done so well! Hope all goes smoothly on change to 5:2.
    I tried that first, but carb cravings got in the way. Interestingly not a problem on the BSD – go figure. I still have a way to go before I get down to my desired weight, though am happy to see improvements in my health – and can’t wait to get those pesky blood sugar levels under control. Am not weighing myself regularly at present but definitely feeling the changes. Good luck. Imogen

• posted by Jani123
    on

I came onto the Forum to post a similar question so hope you don’t mind me tagging along!
    Despite his GP not being concerned I have now persuaded my OH he needs to diet and look at his carb intake. I also bought a blood sugar monitor which he has been using in the morning (and he’s started scrutinizing nutrition labels on everything!).

He’s not actually doing the BSD (yet) but the 5:2 Fasting diet. After the weekend (when he ate normally having bread and potatoes and alcohol) his fasting blood sugar on Monday was 6.4 and Tuesday morning it was 5.3
    He had a fast day yesterday and very few carbs and less than 600 cals. Yet his blood sugar was up to 6.5 He repeated the test and it was 6.1

So two questions. How is it possible to get a different reading only a few minutes apart?
    And, does he need to look at a longer trend?

• posted by orchid
    on

Hi Jani, Tofa and Imogen,
    can I suggest you read through the posting by Bill – you will find a lot of good advise and his experience of many of the issues you are having. It takes you through his 8 weeks and although now quite long – it is an excellent example of going from diabetes controlled by drugs to pre-diabetic and no drugs.
    https://thebloodsugardiet.com/forums/topic/this-has-to-work-for-me/
    good luck with the journey.

• posted by Alanhypno
    on

7.5 fasting week five
    Hopefully this will come down ,but is it unusually high
    Alan plodding on

• posted by Alanhypno
    on

BS meters
    Did someone on here find the cheapest test meters ?
    I find test strips most expensive
    Any tips
    Alan in uk

• posted by Jani123
    on

Hi Alanhypno
    I bought a SD Codefree from Home Health UK. Test strips and lancets also seemed the most reasonable.
    Really easy to use

• posted by Alanhypno
    on

Thanks for That info just ordered Code Free on eBay
    Already bought 100 lances for another make £5 for 100 which don’t do strips anymore but can mix my lance and needles and code free meter so cheapest all round
    Cheers Alan 8.2 sixth week ! Back on pills ?

• posted by thepolly
    on

Hi, I also got the codefree machine and lots of extra strips/lancets. Got mine on ebay. They are definitely the cheapest for the replacements that I’ve found.

Please log in or register to post a reply.