FAB FOOD for FEBRUARY!!

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Verano
    on

Following on from a few recipes on the 4 Week Fix I thought it would be nice to share some food ideas this coming month. Put a bit of zing back into BSD.

I’d be really interested in any recipes from the new recipe book that have been tried and enjoyed.

I will definitely try the ‘pork in mustard sauce’ but use chicken instead.

Tonight I have a Mary Berry recipe of haddock with puy lentils in a tomato sauce. Think I’ll add some courgette ribbons and some green beans with it too. Love one pot meals!

• posted by JulesMaigret
    on

Not from the BSD book, but Jamie’s caponata is great warm or cold (depending if you’re freezing in the cold North or sizzling in Terra Australis), on its own or as a base for fish. Particularly good in a tub for a work lunch on day 2.

• posted by Eileen27
    on

That sounds good Verano. Are you counting the Calories and Carbs or do you just ‘know’ by now what each portion contains?
    Or maybe you are just restricting the Carbs. Would be interested to hear how strict you are with the counting. Thanks
    x

• posted by JulesMaigret
    on

Sorry, Verano, just seen your post on the other thread.

Mackerel is lovely in an omelette. Probably nicest if you keep the omelette a bit soft, or even runny. It can be tastier if you put a bit of curry powder on the mackerel and fry it off in a bit of butter before you add the eggs.

• posted by Maharani kitten
    on

Nigel Slater did a scrummy looking courgette ribbon, garlic, chilli, pine nut and olive oil plate while I was watching and ironing yesterday. Small glug of oil, crush garlic and cook gently, add chilli flakes and 25g pine nuts, toast lightly, add courgette ribbons done lengthwise with potato peeler. 3.5g carbs by my reckoning, looked lovely, trying it tomorrow. Love Nige, lots of his stuff low carb. I think it’d be good with cauliflower or broc too.

Also, Nigella’s Meatza – essentially a pizza with a minced beef, onion, egg, oregano and pepper base (she put breadcrumbs in but I’d leave those out) cook in oven 20 mins till browned,, put beef tomatoes mozzarella and basil on top. Nice with salad if you’re a bit hungry and a lunchbox contender in slices. Very low carb though cals would need care. Mkx

• posted by Esnecca
    on

I apologize in advance for this very, very long post. I get a tad obsessive about recording the precise details of how I made something, because I spent the first 30 years of my life making stuff and forgetting how I did it. Add the calories and carbs counting and the details wind up a tad long-winded. It’s worth the read if you make the dish, though, I swear!

I made a version of my favorite Chinese takeaway, Shrimp Lo Mein, last week and while it doesn’t taste exactly like the standard because I could not use sugary oyster sauce or lo mein noodles, I was shocked at how delicious it was. It’s also one of the lowest calorie dinners I’ve made despite being very filling. You can literally eat half of it for 250 calories, and usually I end up eating no more than a third of it (a quarter for lunch). Oh, and also, like the original takeaway, it’s even better cold out of the fridge the next day.

Shrimp Faux Mein

8 oz crimini mushrooms, trimmed and sliced
    2 oz snow peas, sliced thinly lengthwise
    1 clove garlic (5 grams), minced
    1 medium green onion (16 grams), white part minced and green tops chopped
    1/2 lb medium or large cooked shrimp, peeled and deveined
    1 tblsp fresh lime juice
    1 package (12 oz) kelp noodles
    3 tsp toasted sesame oil
    3 tblsp soy sauce
    1 tblsp hot chili garlic sauce

First a word about kelp noodles. A lot of people don’t like them because they say they taste plasticky or fishy and the crunchy, translucent noodles are hardly nonna’s hand-made fettucine. I love them. If you put a little effort into the prep, they come out great. They taste like nothing, absorbing everything you put on them, and can be twirled like spaghetti no problem. The entire 12 oz bag is 24 calories and 4 grams of fiber, so zero net carbs, which gave me very, very good incentive to figure out how to use these guys right. What follows is my system established by trial and error.

Drain and rinse the kelp noodles in a colander. Thread your fingers through the noodle mat as you run it under hot water, separating out the strands as much as possible so it looks more like a bird’s nest than a brick. Squeeze the lime juice in a large bowl. Add a tea kettle full of boiling water. Put the drained noodles in the lime water and let sit for an hour. When the hour is up, strain again and let them sit in the colander until they’re called for.

Next up is the dressing. Combine soy sauce, two teaspoons of the toasted sesame oil, the chili garlic sauce and the minced white part of the scallion in a small bowl. Whisk. Set aside. If you have a low carb thickener (I use a combination of plant gums that is shockingly effective and leaves zero trace of itself in taste and color), you can add no more than a half teaspoon and whisk until the dressing clings to the whisk. It’s totally optional, though. You don’t need to thicken it for it to be awesome.

Put the last teaspoon of sesame oil in a large pan, heat on medium and sautee the mushrooms. Lightly salt and pepper to help them release their juices. Once they’ve softened a little, add the snow peas and sautee for a couple of minutes. I like them still crunchy with a bit of that delicious raw peapod taste. If you prefer them softer, cook an extra minute or two. Add the garlic and sautee for a minute until fragrant.

Add the shrimp. I buy them already boiled, but you could use raw. You just have to cook them first and readd once you’ve sauteed the veggies. You only sautee them with the veg for a minute or so to heat up.

Add the kelp noodles. Add the dressing. Mix everything together in the pan. I use one of those spaghetti claw thingies because it’s the best at distributing wet material through long noodles. The noodles will change color to the brownish red of the dressing wherever it’s mixed in thoroughly, it’s easy to tell when the sauce is well-distributed.

Serve topped with chopped green parts of the scallion. Or pack it all up and have it for lunches and dinners starting the next day.

Counting this as a feast for two (and it really could easily serve four), it’s 250 calories, 6 grams net carbs, 4 fiber per serving. It’s even lower in calories made with chicken rather than shrimp. Other veggies also work in this. It’s very versatile and adjustable to personal tastes.

• posted by Verano
    on

Some really interesting recipes!

Esnecca I guess you could also use cooked shredded chicken. I have some ‘noodles ‘ in the fridge but just not sure I fancy them. Also I just don’t eat refined carbs so maybe they will be a bit too much like my ‘old’ food.

JM it’s really weird because I love fish but I hate ‘cooked’ fish that should be raw like smoked salmon. I really will give it a try and eat it with an open mind!

The meatza sounds lovely will definitely give that a go.

Eileen my guesstimates at portion size are lousy! I did count religiously until November and then lost my way. I aimed at 800cals and less than 30g carbs. That worked well. I was just getting back into counting but upping my carbs to less than 50g when I took ill. While I was in hospital I did my best to keep low carb but since I’ve been home I’m just eating within BSD principles but not measuring or weighing. I am actually looking forward to being well enough to start counting ‘properly’ again. For me low carb is more effective than calorie counting. What do you do?

Think tomorrow I’ll be making a big pot of pea soup … love soup!

• posted by Esnecca
    on

What kind of noodles do you have, Verano? Kelp noodles don’t try to imitate wheat/rice/refined carb noodles which is a good thing because they neither look nor taste anything like them. They can just be made to physically function like them. That’s the miracle of the sea vegetable. They can act as crisp salty snacks, wraps or noodles very effectively, but there’s still no confusing them with the starchy originals.

Which reminds me, I’m contemplating making some kind of sushi roll using caulirice. I have no idea if it’ll be any good or if I can make caulirice behave anything at all like sushi rice, but I do so miss sushi so I might just gird the ol’ loins and give it a go.

• posted by Natalie
    on

I made lasagne last night, half with zucchini/courgette instead of pasta for my daughter and me. After my share I decided I wanted a little bit more and there was only “normal” lasagne left. I only had a couple of bites. Even with all the cheese and meat and tomatoey sauce it seemed so bland in comparison! And an unpleasant texture. I found it so odd that I didn’t like pasta anymore, I used to love it.

• posted by Verano
    on

I managed to get two small courgettes today…. they really are like gold now. Looks like I might have to learn to love aubergines!!!!

I made a courgette lasagne but really didn’t like the white cheesy eggy sauce. I saw a recipe that just used a bolognese sauce with layered courgette sprinkled with mozzarella and Parmesan on the top, so might try that.

The noodles I have are ‘Bare Naked’ made with konjac flour !!!!! Who knows!!!! Think kelp sounds better.

Not sure about cauli rice for sushi. How will you ‘stick’ it together? Hope it works because I also love sushi.

on

Hi Verano. One of my fave standbys is to make a low carb ‘cheese’ sauce with Fage full fat yoghurt, an egg whipped in and Parmesan for crunch grated over the top. It sort of puffs up in the oven so you don’t need loads. Lots of pepper in too, if liked. MKx

• posted by Verano
    on

Sorry MK think we crossed in the ether ….. those type of sauces are just not for me! I much prefer tomato based sauces.

• posted by topcac
    on

We made the chicken korma from the BSD recipe book on Saturday and it is yummy – we are not normally korma fans (prefer things a little more spicy) but this tasted just like takeaway. Has ground almonds and coconut milk in it – delicious. Watch the carbs though. 340 cals but 17g per portion (ouch!) only good if you’re low carb for the rest of the day (which we were as we had been fasting all day!)

• posted by Eileen27
    on

Thanks for sharing what you do Verano. I keep a record of what I eat, calories and carbs. I tried to use FatSecret but I can’t work out how to add different weights or sizes- so I use pen and paper! It’s easy to record BSD recipes but when I make up my own I do measure and get the calorie and carb count of each item either from FatSecret or the table on the packet. I find it easy to keep carbs under 50 but not so good with calories under 800. I always exceed this. Must try harder.
    Smoked mackerel and mushroom frittata was fabulous as indeed you said JukesMaigret. Very filling. Tonight it’s stir fried beef with asparagus. Trying to alternate meat/fish/veggie. With me the weight off is slow but I won’t give up. I’m making a list of suggestions from this forum. Meatze should be worth a try. Thanks everyone x

• posted by JulesMaigret
    on

Hi Eileen,

I think you’re right that variety is important, both to give the body a chance to take on board different nutrients, but also psychologically to keep you going. No evidence of this, but it seems to work for me.

• posted by Verano
    on

So yesterday I made soup … my saviour

This is so quick and easy and full of ‘green’ goodness
    Serves 6, approx. 94cals and 7.7g carbs per serving

PEA SOUP

1tbs olive oil
    2 small leeks or 1 medium onion sliced
    400g frozen petite pois
    2 vegetable stock cubes dissolved in 800ml water.
    100g baby spinach leaf
    85g watercress
    sprig of mint or to taste
    Salt and pepper to taste

Sweat leeks in the olive oil until soft.
    Add peas and stock and cook gently for 5 minutes or until tender.
    Add spinach. watercress and mint and wilt down.
    Blitz… may need a little more liquid at this point.
    Add salt and pepper as required.

You can substitute milk for some of the stock or add a teaspoon of cream or yogurt before serving.

Really easy soup and very satisfying.

Today I’m trying the mackerel frittata. Actually looking forward to it.

Have a nice day.

• posted by SusannahD
    on

Hello everyone – I’ve just come across this topic – and since I’m 3 days in on my second week – I’m busy looking for new recipes!!!

I have the new recipe book and tonight after already cooking an early dinner for my granddaughter and my son and daughter in law – I then decided on making the turkey burgers!

Well I didn’t have turkey mince so substituted chicken breast fillets minced .
    These burgers are absolutely delicious – with unlikely ingredients but so tasty and good – make 6 serves – had to be strong to only have one!! Served with coleslaw salad –

Also yesterday made the Pumpkin Cashew soup – yum indeed.

The only prob with the burgers was how delicate they are to turn over in the pan!

That Meatza of Nigella’s sounds delish – hopefully it’s findable on the web!

• posted by JulesMaigret
    on

Just made the sausage, sage and onion omelette from the Tom K book – scaled back the ingredients to make a human-sized portion – still very filling and really tasty.

• posted by K8sgettingthin
    on

Great idea, I like to know what people think of recipes before I try them!
    Thank you.

• posted by SueBlue
    on

I tried the broccoli, bacon and mushroom quick stir fry from the book tonight – was lovely and filling and quick and easy to cook. Am going to try it with haloumi next time.

• posted by Eileen27
    on

Made stir fried beef with asparagus and mange tout last night. Really delicious and filling. I didn’t use fillet steak but just pan fry steak- not as expensive as fillet.
    Thanks for pea soup recipe Verano, will definitely make that.
    JulesMaigret- thanks for this sausage and sage omellete idea, I was wondering what to try first from Tom’s book, this one sounds quite do-able.
    Nigella’s meatze is on line SusannahD. Where did you find the pumpkin and cashew soup recipe?
    This forum is just what I need! Great x

• posted by JulesMaigret
    on

The cider poached chicken was very nice too I think I left out/substituted a couple of the more esoteric ingredients and the kale and anchovies was dead simple and really tasty in front of the rugby.

• posted by SusannahD
    on

Eileen27 – if you google Pumpkin and Cashewnut soup Blood sugar diet / it should come up for you.. it’s actually the nicest pumpkin soup I’ve ever made. I might add a leed in next time. I made in a Thermomix so added the Kirkland (Costco) baked cashews 10 mins before the end if cooking time. I think some grated ginger would be good too.
    Here’s the link:
    https://thebloodsugardiet.com/recipes/pumpkin-cashew-nut-soup/

I will look up Nigella’s Meatze

• posted by Eileen27
    on

Thanks SusannahD. I didn’t think of looking on this site. Looks a good one and as someone else says could use butternut squash. I’ll have a look out in Costco for the cashews. A few weeks ago they had Linwoods flax seeds and chia seeds at good price. I’ll keep my eye open for further bargains!
    Tonight we had aubergine with lamb and pomegranate. We had half aubergine and half pepper. Much better. I found 2 halves aubergine too much of the same taste. Thanks everyone x

• posted by SusannahD
    on

Where are you living Eileen – I’m in Melbourne- ? I figure you’re in the UK?
    Funny I’ve just baked eggplant with tahini and olive oil – your eggplant and lamb sounds delicious but my husband can’t eat it!!!
    By the way I used butternut pumpkin as it seems lower GI

• posted by Verano
    on

Hi

JM is your cider poached chicken recipe from the new Tom book? I love chicken so all recipes truly welcome!

I’ve still not had the mackerel frittata but have all the ingredients so will definitely make it today. I’m also making a chickpea and squash curry. This is great as a stand alone vegetarian dish or as a side but it is rather carby so not something to have too often. If I can find the recipe online I’ll post it. There are lots of ingredients, mainly spices, but it’s very easy to make.

Have a nice day.

on

The Meatzza is from Nigellisima and is widely available online – sorry am techno-Luddite and can’t do links!
    Tried it last night and left out breadcrumbs, used a spoonful of oats to bind, and one less egg and went easy on tomatoes. It was really easy, quick, tasty and very filling with a side of buttered broc – am having a slice cold for breakfast – yummy. Recommended.

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

One of my fave lunches is the Spanish chickpea and chorizo soup. Really nice and spicy. It is in the BSD book page 207. I make up the 3 portions, eat one and freeze 2 for another week.

• posted by topcac
    on

I love that one too sunshine girl – it makes a lot as well and really is filling – plus chorizo – what’s not to like!? Yum!!

• posted by Fairyface
    on

Dinner tonight was gammon steaks with red cabbage….out of the book. My husband cooked the last batch of red cabbage and the portion was huge so he had a ticking off for that! It was yummy though.
    Also went to the abattoir today and bought some lamb neck fillets so will be cooking lamb tagine and lamb hotpot. Will be able to freeze portions of each meal for the next couple of weeks.

• posted by Eileen27
    on

Yes SusannahD I’m in the UK, in Wales. This forum is so helpful. Good to know what others have cooked. X

• posted by Bissell
    on

Morning all. It’s really great reading what everyone is trying out. I tried the skinny lasagne from the recipe book but I won’t be again. The aubergines remained spongy, despite longer cooking. Maybe if I’d fried them off/ baked the slices in the oven first? I agree about having to scale down the portions in the Tom Kerridge book, JulesMaigret, but the food is delicious!
    I’ve got old friends coming for the weekend, so I’m adapting a few Madhur Jaffries recipes, chicken in cream sauce, cauliflower and tomato curry, spinach and paneer, riata. Most are BSD friendly if you can forgo the rice/ naans. Oh, and the lager! I’m always stuck for pud ideas these days, think I will do fresh fruit and nuts and try not to eat too many.
    What do others do, pud wise, when entertaining? I’d love to know!

• posted by Bissell
    on

Hi Eileen, I’m in Wales too, in Monmouth. Whereabouts are you?

• posted by Verano
    on

Hi all

Well I finally got round to making the mackerel frittata last night. I was surprised at how nice the warmed mackerel was but had forgotten I hate cooked cheese! Although I love parmesan grated on courgette etc, I really didn’t enjoy it in the frittata. Not one I’ll make again.

Another that I’ll give a miss is the Minted Pea hummus p205 in the original book.

Hi Bissell a few recipes use courgette instead of lasagne. I’ve tried it but didn’t like the eggy, cheesey replacement for the white sauce. I saw a recipe in the mail last week for just a ‘bolognese’ sauce … layer of sauce, layer of courgette, layer of sauce etc, finished with just mozzarella and oregano and a few torn basil leaves. Think I might I might give that a go.

When it comes to pud Bissell I just make an ‘ordinary’ one and forgo it myself!!! Sorry not helpful!

Sunshine-girl the soup looks lovely but I don’t eat chorizo and can’t really think of a tasty substitute.

Whilst I’m still recuperating I think I’ll go through the recipe book and mark all the recipes that look of interest and hopefully will find a few more ‘must haves’. Today will be chickpea curry with prawns.

Have a nice day.

• posted by JulesMaigret
    on

Hi Verano

I’ve got to admit that I didn’t add the cheese to the frittata as I didn’t think the combination would go. I guess I was right.

I made the chickpea soup but used a traditional flavourful sausage (I think it was Lincolnshire as I only had Pamplona which would have turned to mush) and it was perfectly OK.

• posted by Angela06
    on

Thank you, Verano, for starting this thread and for all the interesting suggestions. I have a few very simple ones to contribute; well, not recipes just what we eat on a week night when I try to keep things simple:

So last night I fried 2 fillets of white fish in a little olive oil and topped the fish with some lemon zest and crushed fennel seeds (idea rom a Jamie Oliver recipe) and we ate it with roasted fennel, the bulb this time, red onion, courgette and garlic…one of each, except the garlic!. This made two portions. I put the onion and fennel in the oven first with a tiny drizzle of oil cook for around 45 mins and pushed the courgette in for 15 minutes at the end. If my son’s eating with us I add a potato or two to the roasting pan with the fennel…It’s very filling and very tasty but then I love fennel!

It worked out at 250 cals 15g carbs per portion.

• posted by Fairyface
    on

Bissell the skinny aubergine lasagne is another of our favourites. I find the aubergine needs to be sliced really thin.

• posted by Eileen27
    on

Hi Bissell, I’m in Cardiff.
    Just found reduced tuna steaks in Tesco. Pan fry on a griddle with a little olive oil and seasoning. My husband cooks them for about 2-3 mins each side, any longer then they’re not so good. Served with a green salad or griddled asparagus, really tasty and low in carbs.
    I also found baking bacon! Haven’t seen it before. 60p for 500 gms! Ive bagged it up in 100g to freeze. Handy for all the bacon recipes in the book.

Happy Shopping!x

• posted by Bissell
    on

Ooh, I spend a couple of days each week in Cardiff looking after my grandsons. I often grab a cooked chicken in Tescos when I’ve got them, for a quick and easy salad. Yes, tuna is lovely just slightly underdone isn’t it? But like old boots of done for too long! Which I found out to my cost.
    I see the Waitrose weekly mag has an article re: diabetic diets, including a bit by Michael Mosely and a couple of recipes. ( turn the page and there is an article about which cereal to eat for breakfast! Oh well, it’s a start!)

• posted by Verano
    on

Hi

Didn’t make the curry yesterday as planned so had courgetti in tomato sauce and prawns last night. It was OK but won’t rush to eat it again. I much prefer courgetti puttanesca style but looks like we may all have to find an alternative to fresh vegetables at the moment. I tried roasting frozen cauliflower and it was ok. Guess we’ll just have to adapt whatever is available.

Not sure what to make this weekend. But there will definitely be chicken in there somewhere. I have some cauliflower left so may make the roast cauliflower rice and a chicken stir fry.

Now I’m just off to have my yogurt, berries and walnuts!

Have a nice day.

• posted by Eileen27
    on

That’s my favourite breakfast Verano, with ground flaxseeds too. Friends for dinner tonight, will be tricky. Will have Italian anti pasta and sliced meats to start ( no toasted ciabatta) , then Jamie’s chicken dippers ( will have only a small spoon of the couscous- everything else seems ok, then Pannacotta, that will be my downfall . If I don’t have any nibbles first, or chocolate after, and maybe if I fast until this evening, then just maybe I’ll be OK?? How do others manage when they know they won’t be able to resist the desert – or the wine either? Am I just a hopeless case?

• posted by Eileen27
    on

Although thinking about it – the pannacotta recipe I’ve made uses 50g icing sugar for 4 portions. Is that so bad??

• posted by SueBlue
    on

Eileen27 I think we all have to do what is best for us. I went to my daughter’s for lunch last week and had wine with mineral water, and also drunk glasses of plain mineral water. That way when everyone else was drinking i didn’t fee as though I was missing out. I also went out with my husband last night and did the same thing. The way I look at it, this is not just a diet for me, it will be the way I’ll be eating for the rest of my life! It’s going to take me a while to lose the weight I need To lose (20-25kg), so I’m happy for it to take a few weeks longer if I can still enjoy a few wines once a week along the journey!

• posted by SueBlue
    on

Eileen27 – My Fitness Pal is telling me that 50g icing sugar is 50g carbs and 200 calories. So a quarter of that is say 12.5g of carbs and 50 calories. Not sure what the other ingredients are? Personally if I wanted to eat it I would, and I’d be really strict the next day, but it’s up to you.
    And no you’re not a hopeless case in my book – just human! 🙂

• posted by SueBlue
    on

I had a lovely dinner tonight – I made the chickpea and quinoa salad from the book, but left out the chickpeas and pomegranate seeds because I didn’t have any and didn’t want to go out in 35 degree heat to get some! It worked out well though as if I had have put chickpeas in it would have been 60grams carbs according to the book.
    I had the salad with some falafel and hummus and the whole meal worked out to be 300 cals and 27g carbs.
    I used tri-coloured quinoa for the salad, and the lemon juice and coriander gave it a lovely fresh taste.
    Actually I had a lovely relaxing day at home today. I made some steel cut oats with apple & cinammon in the slow cooker, so that’s my breakfasts for the week all done, just need to reheat in the microwave each morning. Then I roasted some pumpkin and cut it up into cubes to add to salads (love it with mixed lettuce leaves, feta cheese & cherry tomatoes and some balsamic glaze or dressing). Also made some egg muffins from the book – I make 6 and Keep them in the fridge/freezer. They are great for breakfast or for lunch with salad – really quite filling and you can add different ingredients to vary them.
    Now I’m planning the rest of the meals for the week and writing a shopping list .
    I’m not an organised person by nature, but finding it’s a must with the BSD, especially with working full time.
    Am enjoying this thread and am getting some great meal ideas so thanks everyone 🙂

• posted by Verano
    on

Hi Eileen I think SueBlue is right. This isn’t a race to get to a number it’s a new ‘way of life’ so you have to live and if that includes the odd pannacotta so be it. You might find that when you taste it it’s far too sweet!

I had a ‘bio’ yogurt last week because I thought it might help while I’m still taking antibiotics. I only had one teaspoon and I felt as though I’d just dipped my lips into a bowl of sugar! It’s amazing how your taste buds change.

I find that Lindt 85% or 90% satisfies my sweet tooth now. One or 2 squares are enough but not everyone can stop at a couple so best to have none. I find with wine I’m best to have none!!

Enjoy your night.

• posted by JulesMaigret
    on

Hi Eileen,

As one with no experience of diets, the one thing I like about BSD is that you can eat what you want as long as you are aware of the carbs and cals and compensate elsewhere. From what I’ve gleaned on this site, I understand that some proprietary diets “forbid” certain foods and allow unlimited quantities of others, which makes no sense to me whatsoever. Admittedly BSD has its restrictions for groups like diabetics which make starchy carbs difficult to fit in. But with this way of eating, if you decide to have a panna cotta, fine, you can tweak what you eat over the next few days and the weight will still go.

Life is for living!

• posted by SueBlue
    on

Verano I hear you with the wine! I’m making sure I don’t buy any bottles to keep at home as it’s just too tempting. If I keep it to when I’m out it’s easier.
    It’s funny but if I think I cant’t have something then I want it all the more!
    Its week 4 for me tomorrow and I finally feel I’m getting into the swing of things. A few nights ago I went to KFC to pick up some chicken burgers for my (adult) daughters. Although I was hungry too, I looked at the kilojoule count for all of the meals and thought it’s just not worth it! I’m not willing to “spend” that amount of calories, let alone the carbs! I had my homemade Greek salad instead, with no regrets!

• posted by Theodora
    on

Oh SueBlue, how I wish I could do the same and not keep bottles of wine at home. Sadly (though in the past I have celebrated this) my O/H is a bit of a wine buff, and he has a cellar full of wine lurking beneath my feet!!! It can really test one’s resolve at times, but so far so good, 3 weeks in and no alcohol has passed my lips so far (apart from one VERY small glass (125ml) in week 2, but it was a celebration). On the other hand, he always practices “Dry January” so he hasn’t been drinking either, but now we are in February and his gloves are off……………………………………..Hopefully, my resolve will hold, but off on hols later today, so more temptation heading my way! 🙁

BTW well done on sticking with the Greek Salad instead of being tempted by the burgers – and with no regrets either. Just goes to show, virtue is it’s own reward 🙂

Please log in or register to post a reply.