Experimenting with a keto diet?

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by KazzUK
    on

I got 28 thin slices from my loaf last weekend. Should last me a month!

• posted by KazzUK
    on

V, if you want to email me at kazzlchf@yahoo.com I’ll send you a photo of it!

• posted by Artful Owl
    on

ElianaG
    Sorry I’ve only just seen your post. I’m also sorry that I can’t access the link you posted so I can’t comment on the content.
    All I can say is that after years of not sleeping well due to anxiety issues, I am now sleeping through the night and am waking much more refreshed. The problems causing my anxiety are still there so I think that it must be my keto lifestyle that has made the difference.
    Perhaps as a 65 year old whose skin has seen better days I’m not the right person to comment as to whether a keto diet has helped it! I do think though that autophagy from IF has helped my many wrinkles that have developed from losing a lot of fat. But I can’t say that keto has noticably improved it.
    Hope that helps you 😊

• posted by JGwen
    on

Hi Artful Owl.
    I have reported the post from ElianaG to the moderators and asked them to remove. She(?) is a spammer using the forum to increase the number of locations where a specific website appears to improve its ranking with search engines.

Its always worth being careful on what links you click on when on a public forum like this. There isn’t a moderator checking on the links, so someone could join the forum to spread computer viruses by posting links to websites with an enbedded virus.

• posted by Artful Owl
    on

Hi JGwen, thanks for letting me know, I’m very naive in these things! I’ll certainly be more careful in future.

• posted by JGwen
    on

No problem, The spam attempt stood out because I read the latest posts option on the forum rather than just reading one thread at a time and she(?) had posted very similar messages with a link to the same website on two threads one after the other.

• posted by Verano
    on

Hello.
    Well today I made the keto bread using the same recipe as Kazz. It wasn’t too difficult to make and looked much as it should. I sliced it into 15 slices which work out at 0.66g net carbs but a whopping 149 calories a piece.
    So, I duly toasted a slice really looking forward to tasting it with some butter and a slice of cheese. Can’t get much cheese on such a small slice, but I tried!
    What can I say!
    I was never a great bread eater, but, for me the bread, tiny slice that it was, was rather tasteless!
    So, my conclusion is that if you are desperate for ‘bread’ and you have to keep your carbs really low then go for linseed bread. BUT, if like me you just get the urge for a slice of toasted bread very rarely, then I prefer just one slice of Vogel seeded bread at around 12g carbs a slice.
    A wonderful experiment but one I might not repeat. I had hoped I could substitute the bread for Ryvita but maybe I need to try low carb crackers instead!
    As we are getting towards the end of September I hope everyone has learned lots about keto eating and how it fits into our individual lives. I think I have a way to go yet on my journey. I doubt I’ll ever settle on just ‘one way’ but am more likely to end up with my own version of keto/BSD/low carb eating.

• posted by Ilovecatsndogs
    on

Hi guys!

I had posted in another thread that after losing 31 lbs on 800 BSD ( which morphed into 800 keto over the weeks), I was stuck for over a month of not losing or gaining any weight.

So I incorporated MCT oil and bone broth into my daily diet. I make the bone broth, skim off half the fat, then make it into a chicken veg soup. I also started taking digestive enzymes which break down fats, proteins, and carbs.

I lost 5 lbs in a week (I was in week 15 of BSD).

Also I had always been in “light” ketosis but now my keto sticks were coming up deep deep purple. I can tell I’m in deep ketosis cuz my mouth is always dry no matter how much water I drink, and feel slightly nauseated. Food doesn’t taste very good. I’m not sure this is a bad or good thing but think I will up my carbs a little.

I still count calories and try to stay in the 800-1000 range daily.

Another weird thing is my clothes never felt looser until I added the bone broth and MCT oil. Now I have definitely shrunk and some of my skin has gotten a bit saggy ( I’m 60).

I read an article which said that on keto you’ll lose a bunch of weight, then hit a “weight stability point” which can last quite a while with no weight gain or loss. It’s your body trying hard to remain balanced and holding onto weight for dear life. But eventually you’ll start losing weight again, then your body with set a new weight stability point, wait it out, and the cycle will repeat again and again.

For me, the egg fast for 3 days at 800 calories per day seems to get things going again, along with the MCT oil and bone broth soup. I make the soup high in fat for keto.

I have a bulletproof coffee or two, then eat 1 meal at night, which I cut in half. I wait about an hour and if I’m still hungry I finish the 2nd half.

When I get sick of the bone broth soup and want to eat other things, I plan to make plain bone broth to sip on without the chicken or veggies and eat other things too.

I still have to count my calories cuz I need the structure.

• posted by Busybee
    on

I’m still doing a combination of BSD and Keto and even on holiday managed this with very low carbs and small portions.
    I am much more aware of the amount of protein I now eat and also intend to try veggie meals a couple of times a day.
    Also, I am experimenting with MCT Oil Powder and have noticed my body shape changing and I am losing about half a pound a day – no doubt this will stop as some stage but!
    Lots going on here so I I haven’t been able to fit an egg fast in since I returned from holiday but will do so at some stage.
    Sorry if this sounds me, me, me, but writing it down and the change in diet has renewed my enthusiasm.
    Best wishes to you all.
    B.X

on

Good on you busy bee!

on

Week 20 and weight is at another stand still after losing 35 lbs. but it’s cuz I am eating way over 800 calories now. It’s pretty hard for 800 calories to be sustainable for many months past the initial 8 weeks, even tho it was quite easy for many many weeks.

I used to input my calories in an ap daily and this is what I’ll go back to doing, because I still have 30 lbs. I want to lose. Being stuck is starting to wear on me but it’s only because I have set a goal date to lose the last 30 lbs.

Maybe it’s better to just have my goal date be “whenever” and I’ll stop being frustrated. And raise my calories to 1000 to 1200 at this point.

• posted by JGwen
    on

Hi, Iloveatsanddogs.
    The scales are not a reliable way to measure progress. They do not tell us anything about body composition, which could be improving even when the scales do not show any changes.
    Insulin controls not just our bodies fat storage, but also is an input into the way other hormone controlled systems work. For example, raised insulin levels block the growth hormone which controls body repair. As you heal your insulin response, other parts of your body can heal, which means bones become stronger and muscles can be built in response to exercise. Both of which are positive changes but will increase your weight.

The best way to monitor progress is using a tape measure, don’t just focus on waist, hip, chest measurements. Use mirror or photographs to monitor changes to the whole body.

• posted by MelBelle
    on

I started eating LCHF/keto about two weeks ago, and also having two meals a day with one or two small snacks (slice of cheese or handful of nuts), within a 6-7 hour eating window. I’m seeing great results now. I think as a small framed person with not many more pounds to goal, I needed to do this.

@ilovecatsndogs – you mentioned dizziness or nausea – I’ve been reading The Obesity Code by Dr Jason Fung, and he specifically mentions this symptom, which I have had too, so bad I thought I would faint several times one particular day early on in starting TMAD. Salt is the answer (assuming you’re getting plenty of fluids). Your body doesn’t store salt so you need it in your diet. I started grinding a little pink rock salt into my water during my fasting window and my dizziness is gone.

• posted by MelBelle
    on

@ilovecatsndogs – thanks for sharing about your plateau. I’ve been thinking about that too. If I hit another plateau between now and goal, I’m going to try alternate daily fasting. This is another thing mentioned in The Obesity Code book. Alternate daily fasting is three (healthy, normal portion) meals on day 1, then fast until dinner the next day. Repeat. Dr Fung specifically mentions what you’re describing, with your body adapting too well to what you’re doing and conserving energy.

• posted by Busybee
    on

It’s really interesting to read about the different ways other people tackle the Keto diet. I read The Obesity Code some time ago and perhaps I should read it again?
    I have lost a couple of pounds since our holiday but have been eating bigger portions – don’t know why. Note to self ‘I must stop that!’
    We are off down south to visit our daughter and also my 97 year old Aunty, so just under a week of not being in control of the kitchen!
    Keep on Keto-ing on.
    B X

on

Thanks jgwen!
    I’ve been taking pix plus measuring. It’s odd but I really didn’t lose any size tho I had lost 31 lbs., until I started adding MCT oil in week 15 or so. Since then my clothes feel looser and I’ve lost an inch or two. My face, neck and legs are a lot skinnier but my waist remained the same. Now finally I have lost an inch or two but not enough to be considered healthy and rid of belly fat.

I’m hoping the next punch of weight loss will finally be abdominal.

What I’ve learned from eating very little calories on a keto diet is:

(1) My body shape has changed over the years and even if I hit my goal, I’m probably going to still have abdominal fat. It’s also harder cuz that is where I had major surgery with my pancreas and my very long horizontal scar.

(2) 800 calories is not sustainable beyond 16 weeks for me, while trying to lose weight, so I’m upping my calories and have accepted it’ll take longer to reach my goal and be okay with that

(3) the stalls will eventually stop if I am patient and wait them out, my “weight stability points” finally budging.

on

Thanks melbelle!

Will order the book from amazon

• posted by MelBelle
    on

Hooray for the ketogenic diet, 16:8 intermittent fasting, recipes on Diet Doctor, and last but not least encouragement from everyone here. Thank you thank you thank you. I wish I could make those letters flash in rainbow colours. I have *just today* reached my goal weight. This is the weight that I was at when I started uni, over 20 years ago.

@ilovecatsndogs – I know exactly that feeling about the tummy.

I was sure when I got to my goal, my tummy would be much closer to before having four children. I didn’t expect it to be exactly the same, but I gradually realised there was more to it than just the fat.

This week I started doing the exercise I found on this page about post pregnancy tummy, and I have already seen an improvement, even though my youngest is 9. Maybe you’d like to try it with me?

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2017/08/07/541204499/flattening-the-mummy-tummy-with-1-exercise-10-minutes-a-day

• posted by Busybee
    on

Well done MelBelle!
    You must be very proud and happy to have realised your goal.
    I’m following the same regime as you but my loss is not consistent – however I am nearly 73 and have dieted on and off since I was sixteen so my metabolism is well and truly knackered!
    Keep Keto-ing on
    X B

• posted by LouiseKangooroo
    on

@melbelle that’s a very popular exercise in France for pelvic floor post pregnancy/birth. I love it and do it regularly but I can’t do it for 10 min straight. I’ll try and increase my times
    Thanks for the inspo!

on

Yippeeeee melbelle! Great job ❤️

on

Melbelle,

I wish I could do stomach exercises but after having a huge operation, the surgeon had to cut thru my abdominal muscles so when I try any stomach exercises I end up with painful “Charlie horses”. But thanks for the offer.

• posted by Busybee
    on

I can’t imagine what “Charlie Horses” are though will have a try at the exercises!!
    Have a good weekend Keto ladies.
    X B

• posted by JGwen
    on

A charley horse is a muscle cramp.

• posted by Pancita
    on

And also the hardest thing to remove in Operation… !

on

Haha busy bee,

An American vernacular! I am in California.

Usually you get a “Charlie horse” in your legs!❤️
    What are they called overseas? They are very intense muscle cramps which seize up for 10 to 15 mins. and are very painful.

• posted by Busybee
    on

Thank you for enlightening me although I doubt the amount of excise I do would result in ‘Charlie’s Horse’!
    X B

• posted by steve rock
    on

It’s do-able. Some people love it and some people hate it. Personally, I find that nutritional ketosis is almost ideal for me, whereas “normal” eating with lots of carbs in my diet leads to feelings of non-satiety, drowsiness, mood swings, insulin spikes, bloating, and sometimes nausea.

Your transition period depends on a few factors: how strictly you limit your carbohydrate intake, how much energy you expend day-to-day, and how much energy in the form of glucose and glycogen you have stored in your body currently. My transition period takes 3 days.
    If you ask me what my go to keto products then I’ll tell that I’ve used keto products from No Me Keto

• posted by Garry Williams
    on

It was such a great experience with keto diet food.
    The Keto food that I am using for more than 6 months, got from No Me Keto.
    Because No Me Keto is the one that really made healthy ingredients, low carb, and full of proteins. Now I spend an active and energetic day.

• posted by Plumptious
    on

Hi All.
    Please could you tell me whether your cholesterol readings have been affected either positively or negatively?
    I’ve successfully done the BSD a few years back then decided in March 2017 to go vegan. However, due to overeating and indulging ,plus not sticking properly to principles, I found myself 2 stone heavier. I swapped to BSD800 vegetarian (with fish -but no milk -allergies) and I have successfully dropped just over a stone in the last 5 weeks but have been lurking for a while in this thread and been watching various videos on YouTube…Low Carb Down Under etc
    I’m toying with the idea of a vegetarian Keto way of eating for the next month or two.
    I need my cholesterol levels to be good / improved from last time I had them done around 6 months a go. I’m not diabetic or pre diabetic. Anyone offer any advice or basic mistakes to avoid? Thanks a lot.

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Hi Plump, my cholesterol levels have seriously reduced since being on BSD, I was always around 6 or 7 despite being on 60mg statins and after 3 months on BSD reduced to 5.0. Then went down to 4.5. After a few months cholesterol was down to under 4 and statins reduced to 20mg. Then I started to have cramps so doctor stopped statin but cholesterol stayed at around 4.5 to 5. I asked to start statins again as I am diabetic and high risk from strokes and heart disease so doctor prescribed 10mg just to be on the safe side and my cholesterol is typically around 4. I eat more fat but just good fats like olive oil, but I also use butter, full fat cheese, full fat yoghurt and cream. I honestly believe that my problem was all the ‘low fat’ products that caused my problems. Remember that walnuts are great for cholesterol.

on

Hi plumptious!

My cholesterol went down a little but my triglycerides really went down a lot!.

Since the covid-19 I’ve been off the diet though as it’s hard in my area to purchase meat in northern CA. Our grocery stores are pretty bare.

I’ll go back to 800 keto once groceries start stocking up again but right now it’s a struggle

on

Im basically making a huge pot of spaghetti which is enough for a week’s worth of meals since I eat only one meal daily

• posted by Plumptious
    on

Thanks Sunshine girl.
    I appreciate your reply. I love walnuts….(plus all the other foods you mention lol!) So shouldn’t be a problem.

• posted by Plumptious
    on

Hi Ilovecatsndogs.
    Thank you for your reply.
    I’m in the UK and also self isolating for 12 weeks (as far as possible) because my partner is in a high risk group. I know what you mean about having to make changes to your diet. Things here are pretty patchy here too but lots of stuff that was bought by the panic buyers such as pasta makes no difference to me , thankfully.
    Best wishes P.

• posted by Verano
    on

Sunshine-girl …… HELLO! I didn’t realise I was still getting notifications from this thread but glad I am! Good to hear from you. Hope you and yours are all keeping well.

on

Hi V, thanks, yes we are all well. We had to cancel our Easter trip to see family as we have been in total lockdown since mid March. Daughter gave me her old smartphone and set me up with WhatsApp so we are talking every day. I also have a regular catch up with one of my grandsons who I am supposed to be teaching French but we end up mainly chatting. We were talking for 40 minutes last week, the longest conversation he has ever had with anyone I think!!!!!
    My BG levels are all fine as are my cholesterol etc but my weight has gone to hell right now. Mainly with the booze as I tend to stick to the food plan but weekends are getting longer, partly stress and partly boredom. Plus we have had 2 birthdays and our wedding anniversary. I am starting again today as I dont like not having control. At least we can get anything we want here, no shortage – not even toilet rolls – just dont go out to shop. We do an online shop and hubby picks it up once a week. They have started doing home deliveries but it is only 5 mins away and he doesn’t need contact with anyone, just opens the car boot and the shopping is loaded in and off he goes. Think he just likes to get out but I am not taking any chances. We did go to the garden centre last week to pick up tomato plants and courgettes but I refused to go in as there was quite a queue of people waiting for trollies.
    I havent been posting as I found it was taking up too much of my time and thoughts so thought I would take myself away from it but I still have a look from time to time to see how you are all getting on. Thing now is that I hardly know anyone and I have broken the habit, so much else to think about. I did the Covid course on FL, did you, I will be doing the catch up on 25th May as there will have been further developments by then. Dont know when this will end, our date is 11th May but sure it will be added to. Just as long as everyone does as they are told and keeps themselves safe.
    Take care.
    Denise

• posted by Verano
    on

Hi Denise
    Good to hear all is well with you. I’m feeling similar to you in that there are so many new posters, which is good, but I do feel a little out of the loop sometimes. I guess after the length of time we’ve been around here things do tend to get a bit stale and the enthusiasm wains.
    I’m am also still watching my carbs but no longer weigh anything including me! I just don’t seem to have much heart for all this at the moment. I was due a blood test in March, the first for a year, but that went by the wayside so I have no idea what my ‘numbers’ are. I do finger prick occasionally and my readings are within my norm so hopefully I’m still on the right track.
    I’m classed as ‘extremely vulnerable’, not sure why but it means I’m locked down till mid June! Fortunately I’ve managed to get online shopping slots and the situation is definitely easing here now. A few weeks ago tinned tomatoes were like gold but no problem now. I do think fresh produce might become a issue as the months wear on though.
    Sorry you missed your Easter trip home but I think holidays are a thing for the very distant future. We have a Mediterranean cruise booked for June but we won’t be on that ship, even if it does sail, which is looking unlikely to me. I was speaking to a friend last night who’s son is in Melbourne and there is talk in Australia of not letting anyone in for a year! I guess lots of countries will find it difficult to reopen their borders after this pandemic.
    Yes I did start the FL course but to be honest I found it a bit depressing. Suppose I’m hiding my head in the sand a bit just now although I have just got the first week of a creative writing course, which together with my jigsaws should keep me occupied for a while! I might just catch up on May 25th will see how I’m feeling by then!
    It’s good to hear from and glad all is well. All good here too. As you say if everyone keeps to the ‘rules’ we should all stay safe.
    Take care and keep safe and well.

on

Well V, we will all be missing holidays. Funnily enough we made a post Brexit (remember Brexit???) decision not to go on a cruise this year and are booked on Norway and Iceland in June 2021. Hopefully all will be well by then. The Covid course did not get any better in terms of good news but it did help expel some of those stupid myths that were going around. They are running an update in May so maybe, fingers crossed, things will be more positive. We are so fortunate to live where we do, almost total isolation and a once a week trip to the supermarket pick-up point, I have my garden and now I have tomato plants and courgettes and have finished digging over my little plot. Will get out and plant when it stops raining for 5 minutes. I went strictly back on plan (i.e. no alcohol) yesterday and have already lost 1.25lbs so I am determined to keep it going and not let CV beat me in any way. Chin up my friend and keep on keeping on…

• posted by Verano
    on

Thank you for making me smile! You have something lovely to look forward to. At the moment my OH isn’t that happy to cruise ever again ….. time will tell!
    Keep going with the plan you know you can do it ….. you’ve done it before!
    As you say all we can do at the moment is to just …… keep on keeping on …….
    Stay in touch and keep well.

• posted by wendleg
    on

I just wanted to pop in to say Hi to sunshinegirl/Denise !! I have been wondering how things were with you and I am so glad to hear you and your family are safe and well. We are in a similar situation here in the Tarn. Pretty isolated with everything we need close by (farms, farm shops, local grocery shop ) and no need to venture far. We don’t have any shops close by doing deliveries or the Drive system but I have found a nice online bio supplier.

We haven’t had many Covid cases in Occitanie but I am not taking any chances with my 71 year old hubby. He is enjoying preparing his veg garden and like you we are getting ready with tomatoes, courgettes, lots of kale , chard and herbs. Spring began gloriously here and it is uplifting when things are so unsettled. Simple pleasures, bird song, reading in the garden and a bit of foraging too !

I am due to go back into school on the 18th May .Only certain classes are being allowed back in as we are a big school and our distance teaching will still continue. School is not yet ready with all the necessary precautions but let’s see what happens as we have a few weeks to go yet. Things can change very suddenly .Parents are very anxious about sending their children to school and they have the choice to keep them at home.
    You may remember this is my last year before I retire and it’s a very strange year indeed.
    I am sorry to hear your travel plans have been disrupted but they wil happen again.I was dreaming of a September break but I have reconciled myself to that not happening.Still we are lucky to be in good health and with space to get outdoors despite the restrictions in movement. We have never been stopped by the gendarmes here !
    I fully understand it is not easy to stay focused on weight concerns right now. I don’t weigh myself but still think hard about getting lots of fresh, simple produce and I am conscious of avoiding waste and staying healthy…..that’s good enough. I am so glad your BG and cholesterol levels are fine.
    If you feel like popping in to the weekly thread you would be very welcome. It’s true there are new people posting but they are a friendly crowd and they are always appreciative of any tips and advice.
    V, I hope you can stay with us too, despite this being a difficult time for you. This is a disruption to everything we have ever known but it will not be for ever and we will be able to make plans again.

Take good care both
    love Wendy x

• posted by MelBelle
    on

Hello keto-ers!
    I was nostalgic getting notifications from this thread. Easter and my husband’s birthday combined with stress contributed to probably a few weeks of returning to a more carb based diet for me – with the result that I suddenly went over a weight I hadn’t been since before Christmas. Sometimes the hormones make it hard to restart, but I finally drew a line, and started keto again on Sunday, following Megan Ramos’ fat fast protocol (https://www.dietdoctor.com/should-you-fat-fast-heres-what-you-need-to-know). And it has really helped. I’ve had a few nuts as well, and a bit of cheese, but in practical terms, I’ve got back to two to three meals a day, and stopped eating after dinner. Yesterday I managed on breakfast and lunch, felt a bit hungry at dinner, but didn’t eat. So I think I might be safely on my way back to healthier habits. I haven’t weighed myself. I’m just focusing on eating the right things first. I think I’ll get some more ketostix today. I find them encouraging (as long as the colour changes, you know you’re in ketosis, as Dr Boz says). They still work for me even six months after starting experimenting with keto.
    Mel

on

Hi Wendy, thank you for think of me. Yes we are well besides the obvious, nowhere to go, nothing much to do and missing family. When this started I decided to totally isolate from our lockdown date and have only been out once (apart from daily walks along a secluded chemin where we live). I have T2 which is why I started on this plan back in June 2016. I am eternally grateful for finding this as it could possibly save my life. Before BSD I was running at 180/190 finger prick tests and around 8.5 HbA1c with cholesterol of 6 or 7. I was tearing my hair out as I had been following the advice of a diabetic nutritionist who had put me on a plan of 300g of carbs daily with a carb at every meal and 3 snacks. No wonder I was out of control. Thank heaven for finding Dr. M. I saw my doctor just 4 days before lockdown so know my bloods are good and he said I was not high risk because of this. It became a crusade of mine to get other diabetics to try this or at least reduce carbs and hope I have helped some over the years.
    I dont know how long this will go on but it is good to hear from someone like you, who actually knows, what the situation is with schools for instance. Also heard today that the exercise limits on 1km from home and 1 hour daily will be lifted on the 12th May.
    I do look in most days and see there are some good people with good advice so havent felt the need to get involved although it is good to know ‘you’, the site, are always there.
    Take care and see you around.
    Denise

• posted by Plumptious
    on

Good morning everyone.
    Tomorrow will be the start of week 8 BSD for me and am pleased with results so far. I have lost 1 stone and 10pounds.
    After that I will have a couple of days off as it leads nicely into my wedding anniversary…and half a bottle of prosecco has my name on it!
    After that I am starting an intermittent fasting regime 16/8.
    I have faithfully weighed and measured every single morsel that has gone into my mouth so far and stuck to my daily allowance etc. I have read lots, swatted up on Diet Doctor site, bought Jason Fung/Megan Ramos/Eve Mayer’s latest book and am ready and prepped with an app.
    My question is if I keep to roughly 800 Cal’s and very low carb do I still keep to that but miss breakfast the first week and keep the same amount of carbs for the other two meals? Most of what I have read seem to say don’t bother counting the calories at all but I’m worried about piling them on because I won’t know how many I’m eating if that makes sense? Any advice appreciated. Thanks P.

• posted by WindyJulz
    on

I used a small hand blender to make coffee with coconut oil, the result was pretty good – smooth and velvety, almost like a latte. I dont think you need a big blender but it is worth using one to get the right consistency otherwise its just oily coffee.

• posted by RubyG
    on

I reported the previous post, seemed more of a sales pitch than a question.
    I have previously made bulletproof coffee with homemade beef dripping – it tastes like a mix of Bovril and coffee. I like it, everyone I know thinks it’s beyond weird 🙂

• posted by WindyJulz
    on

ah. LOL. Well coffee blended with coconut oil is nice…..

Please log in or register to post a reply.