Exercise and bsd

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by LucyAB
    on

Hi all!

Me again!

I’ve posted a few times mainly to keep myself on track ( and probably helping you all to get a good nights sleep -yawn!

I need some help with this way of eating and exercise. Do you all stick to the calories or do you add in a bit more ? Your answers, hopefully, will take into account that my exercise levels are pretty limited. I did half an hour induction on Saturday and really hurt today!
    I’m going to aquacise tomorrow with more swimming after then going again for second induction on Thursday – that’s if I’m still alive by then!

Any help would be gratefully received

Thanks

Lucy

• posted by Esnecca
    on

The calories stay the same; there are no deductions for exercise. Plenty of people do very little exercise on the BSD. Exercising is great to improve your health overall, but almost all of the weight loss and insulin/blood sugar regulation is a function of the food you eat. In fact, aerobic exercise can tend to drive hunger, so it could be even be a good idea to take it easy as you get used to the new eating regimen. I started out with resistance band exercises and very, VERY short walks. The walks got longer and the pace brisker as I lost weight and got fitter. The calories never went above 800 a day for 14 months until I reached my goal.

Good luck!

• posted by JGwen
    on

Hi Lucy, the idea of eating more calories in response to exercise comes from the now discredited idea that our body works on calories in/ calories out model. –

The BSD is about low carb, moderate protein and the balance of calories comes from fat. If you keep your insulin levels low by keeping carbs low so you keep your body in fat burning mode your body can access your fat stores to make any difference between the calories you eat and the calories you burn.

Remember that each lb of fat on your body contains 3500 calories.

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Hi LucyAB, your exercise routine sound quite moderate so should not have any impact regarding the lack of calories. If you feel you have no energy then, either take it easy for a couple of weeks until you are used to it, OR time your exercise so you have had something to eat maybe an hour before, OR take a small (calorie counted in the 800 ) snack with you. I personally do quite a bit of exercise, especially in summer when I swim daily. The rest of the year I do around 4 aerobic sessions a week with a couple of long brisk walks. Let your body tell you how it will cope but dont increase the calories as the calculation doesn’t work. Most people think an exercise session makes them deserve a treat and it is a connection that needs to be broken. As JGwen says, 1 pound of fat – 3500 calories. It is easy to eat that amount but try exercising off 3500.

• posted by Skipping through the tulips
    on

Hi I took up running again the second week of this WOE. I don’t eat breakfast before and I’m
    fine. I’m slowly building up to 5k but brisk walk for the same time too. So am exercising for about an hour. I’m usually fine except for the odd occasion when I have had a very light tea the night before.
    Listen to your body

• posted by LucyAB
    on

Hello to everyone who replied to my post!

I thought as much about not eating extra – shame!

Anyway, I made it to the aquacise but NEVER AGAIN! However, instead of backing out because of how I look, I have just decided that loud music and accidental mouthfuls of water are just not my idea of fun coupled with poor coordination and balance! But, for once, I tried something out of my comfort zone and did have just a smidgeon of fun!
    On the food front, I am surprising myself on how well I’m doing. Although I am not ultra strict about the calories or the carbs at the moment, I have really got my self control back. I do think it is because I am not constantly reaching for ‘comfort’ food ie sweets,crisps,bread which is really helping. I haven’t weighed myself today so I’ll look tomorrow and see. I do feel like I have lost a little weight as my trousers no longer cut me in half!

Thank you again for the support!

Keep bsd ing!

Lucy

Please log in or register to post a reply.