Excercise calories

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by U2exit
    on

If I burn 600-700 calories with a daily 5k jog, do I adjust my caloric intake to make up the difference?

Do i eat 1400-1500 calories to make up for the excercise?

• posted by JackieM
    on

Depends how fast you want to lose weight. I didn’t adjust for exercise. Others do. Work out how hungry/well you feel. In my experience exercise doesn’t make me lose much weight but calorie restriction and carb restriction does.

• posted by Esnecca
    on

As I recall, Dr. Mosley says in the BSD book that you do not change your caloric intake because of calories burned in excerise. It’s better to exercise less, if you feel calorie-deprived, than to up your calories. Dr. Taylor of Newcastle study fame says high aerobic exercise can actually be counterproductive in the early days because it makes you hungry and what/how much you eat is going to have a far greater impact on weight loss than any exercise program.

Anyway, don’t assume you’ll feel the need. You might experience some fatigue and aches and pains in the first week as side-effects of carb withdrawal, but once your body switches into a fat-burning state, you’ll have more energy than you did before. It’s not about calories. It’s about carbs. Keep them below 50 grams a day and you will begin to draw on your fat stores for energy and they are far denser and more regular a source than flash-in-the-pan carbs.

Good luck!

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

The simple answer is No. For one thing how do you know exactly how many calories you have burnt doing exercise. Also the body doesn’t really work calories out calories in, it has been proven to be a myth. Exercise does very little to make you lose weight although it is good for maintaining and good for the body functions i.e. heart, lungs, muscles etc. If you read the book Dr M prefers people to give up the exercise rather than not actually do the diet properly. If you are going to eat 1400 / 1600 calories then you are not doing the BSD but some other form of diet. You have not completed your profile so I dont know if you are diabetic or why you need to do the exercise (training for something) or why you want to lose weight. If the answer is you are not diabetic or at severe risk of becoming diabetic and you just want to lose a smallish amount of weight quick then stick to the 800 calories but make the exercise work around the diet, not the other way round.

• posted by AnnieW
    on

I agree with Sunshinegirl, don’t add in to account for exercise. I don’t know how you are counting your cal expenditure, or how tall/body composition but I’m running 3-4 times a week for 8k and according to my garmin, which is pretty consistent, I’m only burning mid 400s-early 500s depending on which route I take (I’m 161cms and 56.5kgs)binnaround 56 mins, so not fast. If you are tracking using gym equipment they are well known for not being particularly accurate.

Congratulations on your running streak, that takes some commitment.

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Feeling a bit guilty about being a bit harsh and prescriptive I would add to my advice that if you are going to do this diet in whatever format you choose then you are to be congratulated in taking positive steps to improve your situation.

Please log in or register to post a reply.