Evenings are hard!

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Plantartist
    on

HI, I am on Day 5 of 800 Cal diet. It is going really well – apart from one thing. I have no problems during the day, do not feel hungry or deprived but just before bedtime (10 – 11pm normally) I realise that I need something small to eat before turning in for the night. This is where the problem starts. The cravings for carbs and sugar come on really strong and I am struggling to find an appropriate snack which will not blow my calories out of the water! For example last night I found myself eating almost a cup of yoghurt with some muesli and raisins, plus some added sugar. Now I feel rubbish about it. I am eating supper as late as I can (around 7:30 – 8pm)
    I am definitely addicted to sugar and carbs and appreciate that I am doing really well (for me,) but wonder if anyone has any ideas for filling but low calorie snacks they can share. Thanks

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Okay Plantartist, last night you had what, yoghurt with muesli and raisins, not too bad, added sugar, not good. How much muesli, a tablespoon or a bowl full. Have the yoghurt and raisins or better, some prunes for a sweet treat, but you need to try to keep clear of the grains and sugars. It will get easier, just make sure you are prepared for the munchies. How are you with savour like cold meat or cheese, maybe you are just wanting something, anything to put in your mouth and if you can bypass the sugars for a while your body will stop craving. Every time you have sugars (or cereals) you are giving your body the upper hand and control over you. Stop doing it, that is an order. 🙂

• posted by Plantartist
    on

Thanks sunshine-girl, for your helpful comments. Much appreciated. I suppose I didn’t do too badly as it was only a cup! I am sure it will get easier. Can’t believe I haven’t had any sugar withdrawal so far being that I was eating at least 1 (big) chocolate bar a day, normally more and loads of carbs. This diet seems very well balanced and drinking the water seems to be key. I will try some yoghurt on its own tonight. Thanks again.

• posted by Esnecca
    on

What kind of yogurt are you eating? A cup is a lot, actually, because the carbs add up very quickly when you’re looking at portions in cups instead of spoons. One cup of Fage Total, for example, is about 230 grams, 220 calories and 9 grams of sugar. That’s already way too much for an 800 calorie low-carb diet as it is. Add just half an ounce of raisins and you’re injecting another 42 calories, 10 grams of carbs (8 of them sugar) to the equation. Ten grams of muesli (which is pretty heavy so it’s easy to get to that figure) adds up to 36 calories and 5 grams carbs (2 of the sugars). So that’s a grand total of 289 calories, 24 grams of carbs (19 of the sugar), and that’s before you even begin to count the actual refined sugar you added.

So yeah, this was definitely a choice driven by sugar addiction and not an avenue I’d pursue in any form, if I were you, not even just the yogurt. Eating so late at night is also a danger zone situation. It gives your body far too much digesting and calorie processing to do while you’re asleep, which is when it should be regenerating the microtears from your exercise and shedding weight.

If you need to fight the late-night munchies, I second sunshine-girl’s idea: stick with protein. A slice of prosciutto wrapped around a mozarella ball is a delectable treat, and far more satisfying to real hunger than mainlining sugar. But I suspect you’re not really hungry anyway. It’s addiction, not hunger, and you need to go cold turkey, Plantarist. Cutting back isn’t like to satisfy someone who spoons sugar over already sugary foods at 11:00 at night. It just underfeeds a demon that needs starving to death.

I bet you anything that if you manage to replace the carb snack with protein or fiber/fat (you’d be amazed at how filling and delicious 30 grams of avocado mashed with a small hardboiled egg can be) for just a week, you will stop feeling the need for the midnight snack altogether.

• posted by Plantartist
    on

Thanks, Esnecca for your helpful post Yes, I definitely know it is the addiction kicking in. I will take our suggestions and try the snacks you mention instead.
    I am 5lbs down on day 6 so am getting the motivation I need now.

• posted by Esnecca
    on

That’s fantastic! Great job, Plantarist. Results like that are such a boost to willpower. You’ll be dancing on the sugar demon’s grave in no time. 🙂

Please log in or register to post a reply.