End Of Week 1.

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by carsong
    on

Hello People ๐Ÿ™‚ 2 weeks ago three people mentioned this diet to me and one night whilst channel surfing I saw the documentary on TV. The universe was trying to tell me something so I bought the book, stocked the pantry and have started the journey. Morning 1, Week 1 I was 117.9kg and 10.2mmol/L fasting. Morning 1, Week 2 I am now 111.8kg and 5.8mmol/L fasting!

• posted by Cherrianne
    on

Hi carsong, over 6kg down in one week and nearly halved your fasting blood sugars!!
    You would just about be walking on air with those results. Fantastic success for week one. Well done ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by carsong
    on

Thanks Cherrianne, I don’t expect the weight loss to continue at that rate – I remember 20 years ago doing Weight Watchers with my mother and losing a similar amount in my first couple of weeks. The drop in blood sugar surprises me though. Gives me hope that I can actually reverse the Type II. Only adverse side effect is that I am a bit spacey towards the end of the working day (I teach in a design/woodwork workshop). I may have to tailor calorie intake to give me a bit more during the day…

• posted by carsong
    on

By tailor I mean eat more of the 800 in the morning and at lunch – smaller dinner ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Cherrianne
    on

You could try a protein snack mid afternoon like a boiled egg, some nuts or a piece of cheese to keep you going until dinner.
    Being a bit spacey in your work place wouldn’t be too good, I’m assuming you’d have some rather sharp power tools etc there. Losing body parts wouldn’t be the best way to drop weight lol ๐Ÿ˜‰

• posted by carsong
    on

END OF WEEK 2.

Hello People! I am now 108kg after 2 weeks so nearly 10kg lost! My fasting sugars have been 4.3-4.5 for four days in a row and I feel great. I know the weight loss is slowing down (it has to right?) and that I may see increased mmol/L Week 4/5 but I haven’t felt this good in 6 years. Thanks for all the insight and advice I have gathered by reading other posts ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by tinforest
    on

wow!! that is amazing, congratulations! i am end week 1 and feel awful. no weight loss, sick feeling, and disappointed. trying to keep going but it’s really hard

• posted by Matrika
    on

Congratulations carsong, that is a fantastic result with your blood sugar dropping so well…and your weight. ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by carsong
    on

hi tinforest – I feel guilty posting my progress because I know everyones situation, response to the diet, and path is different… all I can say is that I have felt similar to you on a number of occasions in the past and that all I have ever done is keep trying. that’s all we can do. having tried various diets in the past I am convinced this is the way forward. if you keep going I am sure you will have a breakthrough soon – don’t give up because as you know the alternative is not appealing ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by tinforest
    on

oh no don’t feel guilty!!! enjoy – you have worked hard and your body is clearly thanking you ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Hi Tinforest – it will happen, I didn’t feel too good in the first week either, the second week the hunger pangs lessened – probably because I ‘dared’ to eat some full fat yoghurt for the first time. Week 3 and onwards has been a breeze. Stick with it because you will get the rewards ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Bill1954
    on

Hey tinforest, take a look at funkydoofamilys latest post.
    No weight loss for a week and then 6 pounds vanished overnight.
    That’s just the way it works sometimes, keep the faith, it will work for you
    Catsong, wonderful results, congratulations

• posted by Cherrianne
    on

Wow carsong, you must be on cloud nine with those results. There’s nothing quite like getting your blood sugar levels down is there? Really makes you feel like you are in charge of the diabetes not the other way round.
    Hi tinforest, the first week should be the worst you ever experience doing the BSD. Your body is going through some huge changes, not just from carb/ sugar withdrawal but changing over from using carbs for fuel (easy fuel), to burning fat ( more effort). So it’s going to kick up a fuss and find it tough going. Your whole eating pattern has probably changed too, and instead of having frequent sugary snacks it’s got to manage on less.
    It’s becoming a bit of a mantra now, but here it goes: keep up your fluid intake to 2-3l day, make sure you include fats in your diet, as much as your count allows, and watch out for carbs sneaking in. Rest and treat yourself kindly when you’re going through a rough patch and stay in touch! ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by tinforest
    on

thanks Cherrianne Bill1954 and hashimoto. I am pleased to report I feel so much better today. Yesterday I felt like a drug addict coming off an addiction – which is essentially what is happening of course. I thought I was heading for an afternoon in bed. But it eased, I didnt go to bed, and today I feel so much better. Hungry and look forward to food, but not the horrible fevery feeling that made the thought of food intolerable. No weight loss still (day 7) but onwards and upwards! Thank you so much for helpful support!!

• posted by Cherrianne
    on

Great to hear that tinforest, it sounds like you’ve come out the other side now. Someone on another thread described that feeling as “carb flu” which sounds fairly apt.
    You are just going to be amazed in the next few days about how much better you will start to feel. More energy, more clear headed, much more in control and food tastes so much better without all the carbs and sugar.
    Hope to hear of weight loss next time you post ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by carsong
    on

End Of Week 7 – Some Reflections…

Hi all, am now 98.8kg and always between 3.8 and 4.6 in the morning – primarily affected by how much exercise I’ve done.
    My target is 95kg but I am happy that I am fast approaching 20kg’s lost. I can’t begin to describe the changes in my life…
    I had some incredibly slow weight loss including a few days of weight gain in week 5 but, thankfully, no rising BSL as others have reported. I fell off the wagon the week AFTER Easter, having done so well on holidays with everyone drinking and eating… I’m going to add one week to the 8 as a result. I find that my body latches on to certain weight milestones for a few days and then goes down again. For me they were 110, 105, 100kg. The initial fast weight loss had to slow down and I think between 1 and 2kg a week is about right for me. I fell into the trap of not using MyFitnessPal to log food and realised I had started creeping up in kcal per day… I buy myself milestone presents, size 42″ waist now a loose 36″ means some nice new clothes. I marked 100kg’s with a new watch to remind me never to slip back into my poor lifestyle/eating habits. I had bad non-acidy indigestion for couple of weeks, like a pressure on the throat kind of thing which I put down to shrinking stomach putting upward pressure on the system? It is really hard to get the 10000 steps in if you aren’t careful and brutally honest with yourself. I now do 80 minute sessions on an elliptical trainer (1300 steps per ten minutes) to make sure. I have noticed a huge increase in cardiovascular fitness. I sweat heaps less too. I have been amazed at how little food I need to operate. I have been so productive building stairs, renovating kitchen etc but I have had to learn how to do these things differently now that I am more relaxed in my nature – everyone has been commenting on how laid back but productive I have been. Is this cause i don’t have so much cortisol flooding my system. I once took an ant-depressant called ‘Pristique’ and the change in my head since blood sugar and weight have come down is very similar. My whole experience of life is changing. I am a singer songwriter and it has affected my singing, guitar playing, and song composition. I have been thinking a lot about my post-8 week regime. I am thinking that I will do the med diet at 1500kcal per day, four days a week, and 800kcal 3 days a week to start. I will monitor my weight and make sure that I don’t continue to lose. Anyhow thanks for all the support on this and other topics and good luck to everyone – you will have ups and downs but if you learn not to punish yourself and be honest with yourself you can do it!

• posted by Cherrianne
    on

Hey carsong,
    You have listed some fantastic benefits that you’ve gained from doing the BSD. That feeling of well being that comes from ditching the carbs is priceless isn’t it? Has to be experienced to be believed.
    You are very close to your goal weight. Great results ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Now the forums have been running for a while and so many of us have completed quite a few weeks, the stories, like yours, Carsong just keep on coming. It’s more like a miracle than a diet! That feeling of well-being is wonderful.
    Glad you shared your wonderful story Carsong ๐Ÿ™‚

Please log in or register to post a reply.