Electric steamers?

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by KazzUK
    on

Hello – I bought an electric steamer yesterday. I’ve not used it yet but will this weekend. I’ve heard great things about using one of these for veggies. I’d appreciate an tips, successes and disasters. What is the whackiest thing you’ve steamed? Also, thoughts on steaming meat and poultry? I’m not sure about doing that as I can’t imagine it changing colour, blurrrgh! 🙂
    Kazzee xx

• posted by JackieM
    on

Hey there, I used a steamer on chicken yesterday for First ever time. It was very moist but there was one piece slightly undercooked, which freaked me out! Also used it to poach eggs, I put wet (wrung out) baking paper on top of grid thing, heated water underneath and then cracked an egg onto paper and cooked. Slightly too long, as the yolk went hard, but with practice am sure it will improve. Least messy way of poaching an egg I’ve ever done (though oh said chicken smelt eggy, so I wonder if I needed to wash steamer a bit more thoroughly?!)

• posted by Daisy Daisy
    on

Kazz..I love my steamer though I’m not adventurous at all and it wouldn’t have occurred to me to try eggs so I’ve learnt something! I’ll often cook salmon in the top basket with the veg underneath. The salmon always seems less fatty but still moist. I line the basket with baking paper to cut down on the work. The only tip I can give is that if I use all 3 baskets the food at the top takes longer than the bottom food.
    Have fun!

Please log in or register to post a reply.