Early days – but encouraging signs.

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by folksinger
    on

Hi – I’m a 66 year-old man – obese and losing sight in one eye – been on Metformin for 12 months and also a Statin everyday.
    I bought Michaels book last week and started the prog on Sun. I’d got weighed on Saturday and was 17st 13.4lbs – this morning I got weighed and was delighted 17st 2.4lbs.
    My blood sugar (first thing in the morning ) on Sun was 8.7 – this morning it was 6.5
    I have religiously stuck to 800 cals for three days and yesterday my exercise bike arrived (Probably lost a couple of pounds putting it together 🙂 ) Did my first 10 mins with 2x10sec HIT bursts this morning.
    I have not had any alcohol since Friday (Not missed it) I used to have 2 small bottles of San Miguel, every night.
    Sorting out satisfying meals and staying under 800kc has been reasonably easy – I don’t eat meat but have (and will continue to) use Egg, Quorn and Fish.
    I already feel more relaxed and less stressed.

• posted by freester
    on

Welcome well done and keep up the good work.

It’s easier than you think. When I started the 800 cals I was worried I’d be insatiably hungry all the time. I wasn’t. I had a few moments but on the whole it wasn’t as bad as expected. Green and Black tea (no milk) got me through most of the hunger pangs. I didn’t drink alchohol for my 6 weeks of 800 cals. I do allow myself a drink now (1 or 2 beers / homemade cider then a glass or two or red wine) at the weekend.

Expect to feel a bit tired but it will pass.

Personally I planned a weeks meals and as long as I averaged 800 cals per day over a 7 day period I didn’t stress if I was a little over or under 800 on a day.

• posted by folksinger
    on

Thank you four your encouraging reply

Graham

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Hi folksinger, sound as though it is your diabetes you need to get under control and you can see that you have had good results already – 8.7 to 6.5 – this will continue. Not wanting to build your hopes but we had someone on here who was in the early stages of macularneu….. cant remember the exact name but sight loss due to diabetes and after a few months on the plan the problem disappeared. I know everyone concentrates on their weight and weight loss. Dont worry about that, this diet will be the best thing you have ever done for your health.

• posted by RubyG
    on

Welcome and keep going.
    My husband has lost ~3 stone in the 3 months he’s been on the BSD.
    He was diagnosed pre-diabetic in October 2020, and had been on meds for high BP for the past 5 years. He is 54, 6′ tall and weighed close to 22st when he started. Within weeks he was off one BP tab, within a month the dosage was halved on the other (and I think he could probably cut that out altogether soon) – he feels so much better for it, is sleeping better, less (maybe even no) snoring, less joint pain etc. He hasn’t had any blood tests since starting but in theory they should be back in the normal range as we are keeping to below 50g carb every day, even on days where we exceed the 800cals.
    What has worked for us has been planning satisfying meals with lots of flavour but low in carb, and enjoy what we can have rather than focusing on what is missing from the plate.
    My hubby drinks black tea or herbal tea through the day, I prefer black coffee.
    Drink lots of water too.
    In the first 8 weeks we had no alcohol at all, but now have an occasional whisky on the weekend. Hubby hasn’t had a beer yet, but probably will have at some point.

• posted by folksinger
    on

Thank you four your encouraging reply

• posted by Squidge
    on

Well done folksinger!

You’re doing really well. I hope you can keep it up, but if you do have a bad day don’t use that as an excuse to give up completely. I had a couple of wobbles at the beginning, but I went back and started again and kept doing that until I got to a healthy weight, which I’ve maintained for a couple of years now.

• posted by folksinger
    on

Great advice – thanks

• posted by Jennie10
    on

Hi folksinger – brilliant initial weight loss – you’ll be in the next stone down soon – something which always motivates me.
    Great start with the drop in your blood sugar levels too. I have Type II diabetes and managed to get my blood sugar levels back into the normal range on this diet (from a high initial hba1c) and have maintained it there for nearly five years. It really is a great way of managing your diabetes/putting it into remission.
    I’m impressed with the HIT exercise – and even more impressed with you getting that bike together! Glad to hear you’re feeling less stressed. Good luck with it all and keep us updated with how you’re getting on.
    Jennie xx
    n.b. Are you a folksinger?

Please log in or register to post a reply.