Dreaded week 3

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by MirandaG
    on

Hi all
    I’ve spent a few weeks lurking here and have finally taken the plunge and joined in.
    There’s a wealth of information on these boards and I’ve carried much of this round with me in the last (nearly!) three weeks.
    However, this week has tested my resolve. Week one saw a loss of 5lbs and week 2, 4lbs. This week’s readings are bizarre. I became stuck at 9st 10…..a stall I can handle (my morning “routine” disappeared so I assumed it was food in transit) but after doing a 2.5 mile run with the dog yesterday, I’m back up to 9st 11.5
    Granted the gain is low but it’s a move in the wrong direction. I haven’t cheated at all, kept to 800 cals (mostly below) drank plenty of water and kept carbs sub 20. Infact yesterday was my lowest so far at 14g so just don’t know what im doing wrong. Those numbers on the scales have the power to make or ruin my day 🙁
    (Just to add I am not diagnosed as diabetic but am 100% a carb addict with type 2 rife in my mothers side of the family)

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Hi MirandaG, welcome to the wonderful world of BSD. Don’t know much about you so can only speculate. 1.5lbs is nothing really, fluid, poo, time of month or just a glitch. I was up 0.2 kg this morning and like you have not cheated but hadn’t been to the loo for day 3 today but managed now so hopeful. I am 65 and havent had a period for nearly 20 years but around the middle of each month I get bloated and hold on to fluid. Lots of things happen in our bodies, this is not the time to give up, just hang in there.

• posted by MirandaG
    on

Bless you for the reply Sunshinegirl. I think in all honesty, I just wanted someone to say exactly what you did, “hang on in there”.
    A little about me…..I’m 40 and have always suspected my body dealt with carbs in an odd way. Large amounts of weight gained in very short amounts of time. This all halted when I discovered 5:2. It worked wonderfully for me and I carried on with this for 2 years. My mindset altered completely towards food. I indulged on occasion and balanced it out with my 500 cal days. This all stopped when I discovered I was pregnant at the beginning of last year. This came as an enormous shock. We’d tried for a baby for 12 years without any joy. Sadly we lost our little girl at 20 weeks and a combination of comfort eating and not giving a jot resulted in a whopping 2 stone gain. I knew I desperately needed to change my ways so I gave up alcohol in January. I attempted 5:2 again but just couldn’t get in to it. I found myself cheating all too often. So, always being a fan of MM, I’d give this a whirl. Prompted even more so by my uncle passing away 6 weeks ago of conditions directly connected to diabetes
    So….hope I haven’t waffled there too much but that’s a bit about me and why I’m on this mission

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

You have had quite a lot to deal with recently and I am so sorry for your losses. You say your body reacts to carbs in an odd way but it is probably the same way as most people. For example, most people dont realise carbs are as addictive as sugar in giving you a serotonin high but with quick drops, when people think of diabetes they think of sugar but carbs turn into sugar and are much more devious as we are told they are good for us. Some people suffer bloating from carbs which cause fluid retention. Some people suffer withdrawal or carb flu when they stop eating them. So it is quite a big thing and not just you or your imagination. I have a catch phrase which I try to live by and never give up trying. Keep on keeping on…

Please log in or register to post a reply.