Down In the dumps

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by bigeater
    on

Have been invited to friends for dinner. Instead of feeling happy I am anxious. I am not sure their directors chairs can take my weight. ast time I was there, there was another chair handy and I used it. But I dont want to draw attention to myself or my weight. I am anxious about the food. What say it is pasta or lasagna. Again I dont want to draw attention to myself. Tried on clothes to wear out and everything looks awful hanging in the wrong places. WOE is me. lol. Also on a plateau.

Am hoping to find something nice to wear tomorrow. Hopefully will cheer me up. On the plus side have been sticking to the bsd, six weeks down, two to go. Then I will be onto the 5.2 for a while. Then after that back onto the 8 x 800. Have plenty of weight to shift. At least my blood sugar has normalised.

Sorry for bummer post. Sometimes its not easy being a heavyweight.

• posted by Patsy
    on

Sorry you feel like this. Such a shame when being asked out should be a happy occasion.

Could you ring the friends up, or email them and explain your concerns? I understand about not wanting to draw attention to yourself – sorting it out beforehand could avoid that.

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Bigeater – well done for sticking to the BSD for 6 weeks and it is great to hear that your blood sugars have normalised.

Patsy is so right – your friends will appreciate you contacting them in advance to discuss what you can eat. If you are severely allergic to some foods or had celiac disease you wouldn’t think twice about this.

I must admit that in the past I hated people knowing that I was on a diet but I have only recently realised that other people don’t really notice what I am eating as they are more interested in what they themselves are eating. So if I am at a function I only eat BSD friendly stuff and nobody notices. Of course if you are invited to friends for dinner you do have to pre-warn them.

• posted by Maharani kitten
    on

Ahhh Bigeater, don’t beat yourself up, not when you’re doing so well. Your blood sugar has normalised?? Bravo you – mine hasn’t!!

A good ruse could be to phone the host and say you’re following a gluten free diet – sorry to be a pest but you don’t want to make a fuss on the night and inconvenience the host – could they serve you the meat sauce just with veg? Or courgetti, now available from most supermarkets? Or you could take that along yourself – cooks in minutes in the microwave.

You know something, and people say it on this forum a lot. Most people don’t notice or care what you eat. And most people don’t notice or care what you wear. If I were you I’d pick the plainest and best of the clothes that fit now and wear that – don’t waste money on something new now that won’t fit in a couple of months – save it for when you’re slimmer! Instead, buy a beautiful wrap or scarf or statement necklace that you can wear forever and best of all, they’ll always fit!

I can guarantee that you will be even more stressed and unhappy with yourself if you go out clothes shopping before an event. Been there. Done that. Get your nails done, grab a new lipstick, have some false eyelashes put on professionally, make sure your hair is lovely, wear nice jewellery and your new wrap. Be the very best version of yourself that you can be. As my auntie says – always wear your invisible crown – and smile!

I defy you to remember what most of your friends wore the last time you saw them. Bet you can’t! Can you remember what they ate? No? Neither can they!! Go out, have fun, win them over with your fab personality, grooming and sense of style. You can. You can. And YOU WILL!!

Enjoy your night out! You’ll be fabulous!! Mkx

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

The only problem with that MK is that they might provide things like gluten free bread, which is so easy to buy now, and it is higher in carbs than any pasta dish. You might just have to make that call but say if the host can provide extra vegetable for you (not potatoes) and you can eat round anything else. My sister in law made me fish and chips because to make things simple, I told her I was on a Mediterranean diet and she thought they eat a lot of fish. I dont even like fish but I took off the batter and asked if I could have some salad instead of the chips and she gave me a tub of supermarket made coleslaw. You just have to make the best of it.

Instead of thinking negative, just remember how well you have done and you are lighter than when you started and you are heavier than you will be in a few weeks, it’s been a win win, one day will not alter your resolve.

on

Yep, SG, I usually tell people not to bother with anything specially gluten free, as I’m not eating processed food, just give me meat and veg.

quite understand not wanting to stand out. When I was bigger and started low carbing, my otherwise lovely OH would make a big fuss, in front of others, about whether there was anything that was Ok for my diet and I used to feel like an utter heifer. Mkx

• posted by bigeater
    on

Thanks to sunshine-girl, Maharani Kitten and Patsy for your recent support and advice. I decided not to attend the dinner, I had had a sleepless night and was way too anxious about the whole thing. MK you are right about not buying new clothes. It will be a waste as they will be too big before too long. We have another two months of warm weather where I live in Australia and then it will start to be cooler. I will buy a new pair of ankle boots for winter and soldier on with the rest of the clothes I have. Then I will have to buy something to wear in Spring but that is five months away so will deal with where I am at then.

I have found the bsd surprisingly easy compared to other diets I have followed. Just as well as I will be on it for life. Someone recently mentioned being a type that can’t stop once starting on the carbs. I am one of those. Sharing a piece of cake when on maintenance would be way too hard for me. It would get those taste buds going and before you know it …… a carb monster binge.

So no bad carbs for me. Not now. Not ever!

Well done to all bsd followers tirelessly soldiering on and getting terrific results!

on

In five months time you will be a slinky minky, emerging like a skinny butterfly from your winter chrysalis!
    Enjoy the rest of your summer and think of us here in the UK – I still my hot water bottle every night! MK x

• posted by xKimL2017x
    on

So sorry that you felt unable to attend the dinner Bigeater. You ought to be so proud of yourself managing 6 weeks already. I am on day three and honestly pleased to say I’m not hungry. Makes a change for me lol.

As the other members said, the next time you are invited, just explain you cant eat certain things and request or offer to take something yourself. You and your health are worth more than anything else.

xx

Please log in or register to post a reply.