dodgy scales

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by bigeater
    on

I made the mistake of weighing myself twice this morning, it seems I put on .6kg in half an hour. I think I might buy a new set, can anyone recommend a reputable brand, make etc.

Keep going strong!

Cheers
    the not so bigeater

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

did you have anything to eat or drink in that half hour. A cup of tea can make you a pound heavier and if you had breakfast that will add to it too.

• posted by bigeater
    on

Hi Sunshine girl

I had a cup of coffee and also went to the ahem loo. Just been for a long swim, tried the scales again and now they are telling me I have put on 100 gs in the last 10 days, the scale has gone up another 300 grams. So that’s 900 grams in total it has gone up. While I know we can increase weight during the day, I think the scales are dodgy, they also changed 200 grams in 2 seconds. Oh well they must be roughly accurate give or take a kg. sob.

• posted by Esnecca
    on

It’s my understanding that weight can fluctuate as much as 5 pounds during the course of any given day. That’s why it is advisable to weigh yourself at the same time every day, ideally first thing in the morning after visiting the bathroom but before you’ve ingested anything at all. To test your scale’s accuracy, use something with predetermined unchaging weight, like a barbell, should you have one in the house, or failing that, a pound can of something.

• posted by bigeater
    on

Hi esnecca. I will take the first weight then. The one that says ive lost weight. Good idea about testing the accuracy with a barbell. I will do that. I have plenty to lose so one wonders why i am quibbling but if i am going wrong and putting weight on…..i need to know!

• posted by Esnecca
    on

I understand completely. I’m a daily weigher because I need to know, good or bad, what’s happening. I’ve succumbed to the allure of weighing myself twice a day a few times, and it was a bad idea. Even the time the second figure was lower only made the next morning’s weight look bad when it was actually a loss from the first figure. The scale is a harsh mistress, and as long as we need to lose weight, we are hers to manipulate. Best give her as little wiggle room as possible. 😉

• posted by bigeater
    on

Hi Esnecca, I weighed 2 3kg weights and they came back as 5.8 kg. I did buy them at woolworths so who knows? Or I might have to extrapolate that for every 6 kgs I am losing 200 grams to the scale. That would be more than a bit annoying! Having investigated the accuracy of scales online I have decided to continue with mine and weigh as you suggested, once in the morning. I have until now been weighing not so frequently but will change to daily now.

Happy bsding and thanks!

• posted by Esnecca
    on

As long as you’re using the same scale, your results will be consistent, 200 grams off or not. For me that’s what matters most. Try weighing the barbells again a little later. If they’re 5.8 kg again, then you know your scale is just inherently kind, not unreliable. My parents had a kind scale when I was growing up. Guests would comment on it.

If you think those 200 grams will bother you in the long term, it might be worth recalibrating the scale. Do you still have the manual, or can you find one online? Also, when was the last time you changed the batteries? Things can get a little wonky if the batteries are about to die.

• posted by Jande9
    on

I have 2 electronic scales and they are both inconsistent. I can weigh myself, then reset the scale by stepping on it holding a barbell, and then weigh myself again. The reading before and after resetting it were always different by up to a half pound, with both scales.

I got fed up and bought a used medical scale with weights you slide across a bar. It is completely reliable and has none of those random variations that my electronic ones have. Cheap too, from a doctor’s office that was closing down.

Dr. Mosely quotes studies that show that people who weigh themselves daily are more successful at losing weight than people who weigh themselves less often.

To be consistent you need to weigh yourself at the same point in your morning routine obviously.

Jan

• posted by bigeater
    on

Hi Jande9,

I can understand why you bought the doctor’s scales. Great! After reading on the internet that scales can be inaccurate a lot of the time i decided not to buy another set. I will go with the dodgy set I have and yes weigh at the same point every day. Hopefully they are not erratic but have a dodgy set point.

Thanks for your help and good luck on your journey,

Bigeater

Please log in or register to post a reply.