Do you exercise, and, if so, do you factor in the calories and eat more?

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by FreshStart
    on

I know this isn’t the exercise forum, but no one seems to enter that forum! I was just wondering whether people exercise much on this plan and do you factor the calories burnt from that and allow yourself to eat more calories on those days? For example, if you worked off 700 calories, would you allow yourself 800 + (up to) 700 calories = (up to) 1500 calories?

Thanks!

• posted by JGwen
    on

Hi FreshStart,
    Remember you have to burn 3500 calories more than you eat to loose just 1lb of fat, and most people are eating this way to loose weight. If you keep your carb levels low enough to keep your insulin levels low your body has an unlimited number of calories it can access and burn, your body fat, which is far better for you than eating extra calories.
    While the BSD book is not specific on the limit of carbs to ensure that your insulin levels are low enough to enable your body to access its fat stores there are lots of links to useful podcasts and articles on the most recent research on this topic on the take a look at this thread. I would recommend the work by Dr Bikman, and the podcasts by Dr Fung. Or if you prefer to read a book then “Why we get fat and what to do about it” is very popular.
    My own experience is that I have a physically active job and did repeated rounds of the BSD to get to my initial target. I am down 6.5 stone and am coming up to my first anniversary of starting BSD. I have found it is helpful to not only focus on the scales but also to take measurements. As we keep insulin low enough for our body to access our fat stores we are also bringing into play other hormones which increases muscle and strengthen bones so sometimes you will see changes in measurements but no changes on the scales.

• posted by FreshStart
    on

thanks for your post, JGwen. Dr Fung is fantastic, eh? I watch his videos on Youtube, very informative. He explains very clearly and simply the importance of the types of calories you consume and how they affect your body differently. I’m getting better at limiting my carbs and eating fewer calorie dense foods–a lot more plant-based, but always room for improvement. Wish I had taken measurements now. I think I will do that in the morning.

• posted by Nelliegrace
    on

I joined the “Forward to Health,” course at the local sports centre, (£36 for 12 weeks off-peak Gym, Swimming and classes, which includes Tai Chi, Yoga and Pilates.) The trainer recommended that using the Gym weight machines which would tone the muscles, and that would help with balance and strength, which gets lost with age, and would help with weight loss.
    I don’t eat extra, I want to use up some stored fat! I drink plenty of water.

I had a few dizzy episodes during exercise, after a couple of weeks on LCHF. I am on a beta blocker for raised BP, and it had gone down from too high suddenly. I was advised to have a drink of bouillon, bovril, or oxo a day, and that stopped the dizzy episodes. I hope that my GP will stop the medication. We are so indoctrinated to reduce our salt intake.

• posted by CarolineHP
    on

I exercise every day (Sunday is my rest and stretching day where I do pilates).

I’m only on day 8 of the Fast 800. I eat two meals a day: lunch at around noon and dinner st around 6 or 7pm.

I’ve found my exercise schedule manageable apart from the evenings. I swim 3 times a week (two evenings and one early morning). Last week I mitched out of one of the evening swims and the evening swim I did attend felt really tough.

I also did a hard workout in the gym a small group Personal Training session. I trained before dinner, so delayed eating dinner until 8:30pm after my workout. It felt really hard. I felt as though I was working much harder than I ever have done. But my MyZone heart rate monitor tells me I was working less hard than I normally do at one of those sessions. I’m therefore going to try and go to those sessions in the morning only. I have no option with the swimming. Tomorrow I’m going to try a long run. I just did short runs last week and they felt absolutely fine.

• posted by CarolineHP
    on

By the way, I don’t eat back any of my exercise calories. I just stick to the 800. And I stick to 21g carbs maximum each day.

• posted by GrahamSPhillips
    on

Exercise yes: combination of resistance and high intensity is optimal and no; don’t factor into your calories

Please log in or register to post a reply.