Diet Sodas – Yes or No?

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by jmjski
    on

I’ve just finished day 5 and it has all been going well so far. I have only been drinking water or tea but it’s Friday night and I would like to have a diet lemonade soda as my “cocktail” I have read various reports that people who drink diet drinks still have raised blood sugar levels despite them being sugar free and I don’t want to spoil all of the hard work I have done by messing with my sugar levels. So are there actual medical studies that can prove or disprove the effect of diet soda?

• posted by Floraellen
    on

Watched a study on bbc which showed that the sacharine in products can actually higher the blood sugar. Just for interest Stavia a sweetener derived from plants doesn’t. In would be as well to see if anymore studies have been done. It would be shame if you are doing well to spoil it just with a fizzy drink. Perhaps make your own cocktails with fruit and fizzy water. Cant wait to read them so l can try.

• posted by Bill1954
    on

My partner is diabetic too and the only thing she ever drinks is Diet Coke. She told the diabetes clinic and they said it was ok. I suppose it’s all down to the individual, if your sugar readings go up after drinking it, find something else. As with all diets, this is a general guide, everyone will react to it in their own way.

• posted by Fredforest
    on

My understanding is that diet drinks trigger the body to think it has sugar. It was featured on one of the trust me I’m a doctor programmes.

You are better off having a small glass of red.

• posted by jmjski
    on

Thanks everyone. I decided it wasn’t worth it and found some soda water (for the bubbles) and added some lemon to it.

• posted by Lesleyp
    on

In the book there is a comment from Michael that basically says ‘if you must’.

• posted by jmjski
    on

Oh Lesleyp I must have missed it. Can you tell me what page it was on please?

• posted by Lesleyp
    on

Page 136, only a passing comment but it’s there!

• posted by jmjski
    on

Thank you Lesleyp.

• posted by chinta
    on

jmjski, I’m like you and like to think I’m having a tipple of something a bit more exciting at the weekend. Diet Coke hasn’t affected my blood sugars at all.

Please log in or register to post a reply.