Day three is haaaarrrddddd!

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by csmcnevin
    on

Hi all,

Just starting this whole thing – i thought i would NEVER be able to do only 800 kcals a day (I eat healthy snacks all through the day, and am renowned for never missing a meal!), but here I am on day three. Found day one and two very manageable…. but day three is haaarrrddd! I think its because I started the day with Zoats (zuchinni oatmeal – very american!) and broccoli soup for lunch so havent eaten enough fat and protein today. I just had a protein bar and some greek yogurt bringing me to 741 calories for the day. But i want to eat a proper meal! Determined to stick it out but in need of some encourgement! It gets easier right??

Thanks!
    C

• posted by tree-peony
    on

Yes, it does get easier!

I am halfway though my “last” week… and have lost 9kgs. Not as much as some, but I’m happy with that and fully intending to keep going. I’ve low carbed more or less since I was diagnosed 4 years ago, so this is really just an extension of that.

Good Luck!

TP

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Hi csmcnevin
    Well done on getting to day 3 and sticking to the daily 800cals. It sounds like you are being a bit too harsh with yourself though, by not having fat and protein at the beginning of the day. Try having some full fat yogurt with fruit and a few nuts first thing and you will probably find you don’t need all the snacks during the morning. If you manage you calories well, you should be able to have a proper meal in the evenings – something with meat/eggs/fish and salad/veggies. Remember fat is important for getting your body into fat burning mode and it is also important to make sure you are well hydrated, which will also help to keep the pangs at bay.

The BSD is all about retraining our bodies with regard to food and is not just about what we eat, but how and when, so may be consider trying to change you pattern of eating, so you can save some calories from snacks, for a satisfying meal once a day.

The first week is a shock to the body, but it will get easier as your body becomes accustomed to the new regime and the hunger pangs will die down and become more easily manageable.

Best of luck with the rest of the week and we’ll all look forward to reading your results soon.

• posted by csmcnevin
    on

Thanks guys ๐Ÿ™‚

Treeponey – wow! That weight loss is incredible! Brilliant stuff. Very inspirational.

Sunny B – thanks for the kind advice. Today was a bit messy as i wasnt home for dinner so had to grab something out and eat on the run which made it seem extra fleeting! If i was at home, i would’ve tried to have an omelette or chicken salad or something. Guess its about being more organised. I also had a headache today for the first time (i’ve drank almost 4 litres of water today… to try and get rid of it!) but its still there. A mugginess ๐Ÿ™

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Headaches often hit in the first week. Don’t be scared to take painkillers if needed, but they will subside eventually – if you have to work, you’ll probably want to get rid now rather than later though. You are certainly keeping well hydrated! On days when you know you won’t be home to eat at the end of the day, it’s probably worth putting a little extra thought as to how you are going to manage that, so that you don’t end the day feeling deprived. Maybe take a more substantial lunch with you and then a smaller finish to the day won’t feel so bad.

• posted by outrunner2k7
    on

You’ll get through it csmcnevin and before you know it you’ll be forgetting to eat because you’re not hungry!

It really does get easier the longer you do it, just give your body time to adjust and acclimatise to it’s new fuel.

I’m two weeks in and have lost a little over a stone. I weigh myself every morning (a good motivator to what’s going to happen throughout the day!) and take blood glucose, waist and chest measurements once a week. I think measurements are very important because without them theres no numbers to backup all the effort you’re putting in. Sure, in a week or so your clothes will feel looser but I for one need to know something is actually happening the day after because the process is all largely unseen.

The most difficult thing for me was changing my attitude towards fats as in… eating it without the guilt! My problem before was that the fat generally came with a load of carbs. (love fast food, bread, potatoes but still waiting to not want it!!)

You’ll do it and theres loads of support here ๐Ÿ˜€

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Since starting this my eating pattern has changed. Before, I would eat a bacon sandwich or similar then be starving again soon, panicking and searching hit lunch (usually a sandwich or something else with carbs), then an evening meal (often with bread and/or potatoes or pasta). Then a snack to eat in bed. Often if I was out shopping I would grab a latte, usually with a muffin or other pastry

Now, I eat a cooked breakfast (bacon, egg and black pudding is the current favourite) then usually don’t feel hungry before late afternoon. Then it’s more protein with various other bits and pieces. I’m not tolerating veg or salad very well at the moment so they don’t feature very much. No bedtime snack. And no lattes (or pastries). The local takeaways must be wondering where I am๐Ÿ˜ฑ

• posted by outrunner2k7
    on

LOL captainlynne, I know what you mean about the local takeaway! We “were” very good customers last year to the point they gave us a bottle of wine with our last order just before Christmas!! I’m not a great veggie lover either so have been supplementing with multivitamins.

csmcnevin, how’s it going now? How did day 4 go?

• posted by csmcnevin
    on

Awh thanks for checking in guys!

Day four went well, day five is not bad either! I’m doing exams at the moment (which usually would involve some rewarding / indulging treats) but really trying hard to stick with it. “i need the sugar hit” to get me through the evening in the library just isnt cutting it anymore! I do find I really have to take it one day at a time, and be like ‘today i will only eat 800kcals’ cos if i think of the long term i get overwhelmed!

• posted by SunnyB
    on

It won’t be long until 800cals is just the norm for you csmcnevin and the long term won’t be scary anymore. I have found on diets I have done before, I have to know exactly what I’m going to be eating and when, whereas with the BSD, I don’t really think about it much until I need something. I keep the fridge stocked and can throw something together when I need to eat. Having the disruption of exams can’t help, but stay with it and you will be seeing results in no time at all.

• posted by csmcnevin
    on

Thanks Sunny! Good to know it gets a bit easier! ๐Ÿ™‚ I’m determined to get there! I’ve a holiday in May i wanna be in good health / shape for!

• posted by SunnyB
    on

It’s a great driving force isn’t it? I’m off at the end of next week, but we’ll be in our own apartment in Turkey, so will be trying to stick to the BSD as much as possible even while I’m away. There’s bound to be a few glasses of wine though!

• posted by Natalie
    on

Yesterday was my day three as well and seemed much harder than the first two. I was hungrier and more tired. Unfortunately I gave in in the evening and had some leftover Easter chocolate, which means I have to go through all the cravings again in a few days.

• posted by Bill1954
    on

Hi Natalie,
    your body is having to readjust, it’s been burning carbs for so long, it will scream out for them at first when they are restricted.
    Good that you identified the feelings as cravings rather than hunger though.
    Make sure you get plenty of fat into your daily food and drink lots of water, the cravings soon vanish.

• posted by csmcnevin
    on

Hi Natalie,

I know exactly how you feel… something happens on day three! Being an emotional eater and having lost about 4 stone from my heaviest, i’ve had to conquer this (even before i started BSD). I find if i can just distract myself for a moment, or force myself to do one action i can get through cravings. For instance, I’ll literally throw something in the bin half eaten, or make myself get in the shower, or boil the kettle, leave the kitchen and come back and make a green tea, or send a text etc – anything you can do which halts the frantic need for something. It empowers you, and you feel in control. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesnt.

Best of luck with it all, its all a learning curve!

Please log in or register to post a reply.