Day 8 and only lost 7 lbs – stopped losing on day 6

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Tippytwo
    on

Hello All
    I have been on the diet for 8 days and was delighted each morning when I got on the scales to see I was losing just over a 1lb per day. For the last two days my weight has remained the same at 15 stone 1 lb – how annoying as I was picturing myself at under 15 stone by today.

Does the rate of weight loss slow down I wonder after one week?

Also, I am wondering if I was as active at the weekend than I was during the week as I normally work for two 20 minute bursts of activity and on Saturday and Sunday I was tasked with getting the shopping done, housework etc – so has this lower activity also slowed me down.

Does anyone have any similar experiences. Or perhaps in a couple of days time I will see a few more pounds go.

• posted by SkyWalker
    on

Losing half a stone is success in any language. Be realistic, it takes time to burn fat once your body switches over to using it and not storing it. Mental attitude is important. This is not a race. Carbs make the body convert food to produce fat. Reducing carbs input i.e. white stuff like flour, sugar and potatoes results in the body converting fat to energy and so using up excess stored calories. You need to replace carbs with protein and good fats and plenty of fluid. There is no quick fix. You need to be patient and do as recommended in the books. All will be well. The first 7 pounds was probably mostly water. Spend some time going through the old topics and posts in the forums and you will see what is required is nothing that special so long as you eat sensibly and do a bit more activity. Good luck, keep going most of us wavered for a while before losing 17 kg in my case.

• posted by Bill1954
    on

Sounds like the week 2 blues to me.
    A lot of people have it. It’s just your body reacting to lack of carbohydrates, soon you will start burning fat and the weight loss will start again but hey, half a stone down in a week isn’t anything to get upset about, it’s just a small victory in the battle and there will be more to come if you keep faith and just do what you’re doing. Make sure you are getting enough good fats and plenty of water.

• posted by Tippytwo
    on

Thanks both for your responses, you are right and your response has motivated me to keep going and not to worry too much about the weight. On the plus side, today I am wearing a dress that I haven’t been able to get into for a year!! Thank you

• posted by LizB
    on

I’m in exactly the same boat. The weight fell off last week (would this be a lot of water?), and now has pretty much stopped. But I am no longer as hungry, my abdomen is noticeably less bloated and my skin has improved enormously. I’m thinking of not getting on the scales for a couple of days.

• posted by everhopeful
    on

This is encouraging but I am now just in week 3 and I haven’t lost any more since my first week. Through week 2 I kept my motivation going thinking it’s okay, other people had this and it passed. But I have to admit to now feeling a bit less motivated. I have been very strict keeping under 800 calories except on an odd day (literally an occasional day) where I may have slipped to 900 / 1000 which I don’t think is too drastic (correct me if I am wrong). I strictly log my food and in fact some days I am way under the 800 allowed. In my first week I lost 7lb and apart from a fluctuation up / down by about a lb I haven’t changed in the last 8 days. At the moment I am managing to keep on track but if I am honest if this continues I think I will find it hard to stick to. I am not hungry, but when feeling low I still find food comforting.

Any advice welcome . . . .

• posted by Bill1954
    on

Hi everhopeful
    You seem to be keeping a good count of the calories. What about the carbs, are you watching them as well as making sure you eat enough fat and drink at least 2 to 3 litres of non sugary fluids per day?
    Despite the plateaux, if you are doing that, you have to lose weight, it’s simple physics.
    I remember one particular poster who plateaued for 3 weeks then had an overnight loss of 6 pounds!!!

• posted by for ever the optimist
    on

Hi, I feel your pain! I too seem to have stalled and I don’t know why, I am being very strict on calories but the weight is refusing to budge, I don’t want to give in but I am finding this tough now, and as you say food is a comfort. Good luck, I hope you get a break through soon and manage to stay strong.

• posted by everhopeful
    on

Thank you Bill1954, yes I am being very careful about carbs, no bread, no rice, no pasta etc, occasionally some potato. I try to drink lots of water in the day especially whilst I am at work (at a desk) but I don’t always manage to drink what I would like to . . not helped by the fairly long trip outside to get to the loo. I know getting up and walking is a good thing but when it if freezing cold or raining it is not encouraging!! I am also aware that I don’t do much physically during the week whilst at work though I do try and make up for it at the weekends. I wonder whether I am eating enough fat, but would this really make that much difference to my weight loss? I thought it was more to make you feel fuller for longer and I do not feel hungry. However your comment about someone losing 6lb after a plateau has certainly helped my motivation!! Thank you.

ever the optimist – how long have you been on the BSD? I hope you have some success on the scales as well soon! We just need to plod on and keep confident that eventually it will reap rewards!!

• posted by for ever the optimist
    on

I am just into week four, I had hoped not to want food for comfort by this point but alas no joy there. Will try to stay strong but can’t deny this is hard at the moment. I really hope you enjoy some success soon.

• posted by Bill1954
    on

Hi everhopeful, I’m sure it was Funkydoofamily who had the big whoosh.
    Yes the fat intake does make you feel more satisfied but not just that.
    When you burn carbs and the body uses them up, there is nothing in storage so it screams out for more, you know that feeling as hunger. When you burn fat, and that runs out, your body will quite happily start burning the fat it has stored, hence the weight loss, but you have to help it along by giving it enough fat to make it switch into fat burning mode, or if you prefer the current PC name, Ketosis.
    Hope this helps.

• posted by everhopeful
    on

Okay thanks again Bill1954, I think I need to look again at my fat intake. Is there an app that you (or anyone) can recommend that whilst logging calories will give a fat intake too? I feel that I am probably concentrating on my calorie intake too much, though I would still expect to be losing more weight than I have done, after all a ‘normal’ calorie controlled diet wouldn’t be as low as 800 calories. I have natural yogurt for breakfast every day and nuts through the day as snacks which are high in fat too. I will review what I am eating. Thank you . . .

lets keep at it together ever the optimist! We can do it with support . . .

• posted by Bill1954
    on

Of course we can.
    Personaly I never counted the calories, just the carbs and I found that I was only eating small potions so that took care of the calories. To date I’ve lost 2 stone 3.5 pounds doing it that way.
    I have a small fatty snack before bedtime, fruit & full fat yoghurt or a crispbread with a little cream cheese or pate. I find this helps and also keeps down that early morning pesky sugar reading.

• posted by Tippytwo
    on

Everhopeful, if I were you I would move back to the weekly menus for at least a week as they are worked out by a professional nutritionist and see if that makes a difference rather than using your own menu – it takes all the stress out of working things out. I certainly don’t like some of the dishes but I am determined to try all of them at least once. I don’t feel hungry at all on this diet, hmm, I wonder if I am eating too much, mind you I am sticking to the ingredients and weights and measures.

• posted by Tippytwo
    on

Hey an update to cheer you all up if you haven’t lost weight after day 6 or similar, I weighed myself this morning Day 10 and found I have lost 3lbs overnight – just like Bill1954 suggested happens sometimes. Hooray, for those of you that are struggling with this, keep motivated and keep going.

• posted by Bill1954
    on

Hi Tippytwo
    sometimes saying I told you so gets a bit boring, but never on this forum 🙂
    Pleased to see the weight gone, onwards and downwards for you now 😀

• posted by Sentinel09
    on

Hi everhopeful. Hang in there. This diet works. I have lost 54lbs since December and yet I was stuck at 215 for a month. Since then I have lost 13 pounds in three weeks. You have to think long term. Even when my weight refused to budge I was still feeling better. You can do it!

• posted by Hulagirl
    on

I’ve been searching through posts as I have had exactly the same thing happen to me – lost 11lbs in 2 weeks and then nothing in the 3rd week – just waiting for that overnight loss!!! Did you keep losing after the 10 days?
    Jane x

• posted by Jande9
    on

My digital scale seemed to stick to a number for days so I would get on it carrying an exercise weight which seemed to reset it. Or I could weigh myself 10 minutes apart and the readings were different. I got a new digital scale and the same thing happened. It was annoying.

I ended up buying a used scale from a doctor’s office, the kind with the sliding weights. It works way (sorry) better and I can track my daily weight accurately and easily.

After the first week’s water loss, which comes from the body using up its stored glycogen , it has settled into a regular 2 pounds a week.

As other people have mentioned, it is important you get a lot of your calories from fat. Simple starches and sugars will be stored as glycogen, which is very heavy as it contains a lot of water.

Jan

• posted by Janeyjune
    on

hi I was the same as you. Been on diet for 13 days..quite a few without weight loss..
    All of a sudden another kg dropped off. Measure yourself..I was happy today even though no change in scales for 2 days to see I’ve lost 3.5cm on waist and 5 cm on tummy..just below belly button..search for plateau or whoosh in search function..Don’t give up..this is just the beginning😊😊😊

Please log in or register to post a reply.