Crunch

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Collie
    on

Hi BSD’ers
    I’m craving some crunch in my food any suggestions. Lettuce , cucumber just doesn’t do it. It may be a desire for Norty carbs . My day is ;
    Breakfast – omelette
    Lunch- Yoghurt full fat berries chia
    Supper- protein salad/ veg

Need to mix it up a bit I used to love crisps toast etc I do miss that mouth feel. Looking into changing habits and it can take up to 200 days to change oh my!!!
    I like to be inventive but am struggling.
    Just bought my first batch of raw whole organic milk. Must be better for us , at least cows have grass under their hooves.πŸ„
    Losing inches first then pounds follow ,feel good ,getting comments on how well I look , I have to try not to be too zealous in telling people. Just cannot believe how much rubbish is in supermarkets bring back local shops please Ie green grocers πŸ“πŸŽπŸŒΆπŸ†πŸ‹πŸ³
    Thanks for your support love Collie 🐾🐾🐾🐾🐾🐾

• posted by Leeanne
    on

Hi Collie,
    I usually resort to peppers, radish, etc for a bit of crunch. Wish I liked celery but I don’t! ! A few nuts here and there.
    I have an unopened 100g bag of Waitrose crunchy & spicy ciabatta croutons with black pepper and sea salt.
    A quarter of the bag, 25g, is 114cals/15.4g carbs – which is why they’re unopened as I’m type 2!
    I suppose a few croutons wouldn’t hurt – you could also break up a ryvita for the same effect. (Week 14 for me and still at it!).

• posted by orchid
    on

Hi Collie,
    There was a post from Cherrieanne a while ago suggesting seeds β€˜fried’ in Tamari – sunflower seeds or pumpkin seeds – dry roast slightly, then add Tamari Sauce to them – they caramelise and all stick together. Once cool – separate and store – lovely snack and crunchy!

• posted by ww
    on

Try the indian popadoms – you can get a pack of 50 from tesco, ocado etc. Just microwave for 30sec. Made from lentil flour but really satisfy that need for crunch.

• posted by OzVeggy
    on

And you can dip those microwaved pappadums in hommus for a tasty, crunchy treat. I like cherry tomatoes for a delicious little snack too (also good with hommus).

• posted by orchid
    on

Hi,
    Pappadums are a great idea – however I looked on the Tesco’s website for calories and carbs only to spot that some of them are 50:50 rice flour : lentil flour! Others are 100% lentil flour – make sure you get the lentil ones not the ones with rice flour.

• posted by Frog
    on

white cabbage is good for crunch – I had some with hummus on.
    there’s another thread that I was looking at earlier today on low-carb bread, including ‘cauliflower’ bread – and apparently you can make cauliflower pizza base too.
    Gram flour is good – you can make batter and fry/bake it into flatbread or pizza base. – 29 carbs for 100g, less than bread, and very filling

If you’re at the stage where if you buy a packet of something, you find the rest of the pack, some M&S stores have packs of 3 oatcakes.
    Nairns (the oatcake company) do an amazing snack that are better than crisps; Nairns Snackers. The cheese ones are amazing – a pack is 100 calories and 13g of carbs – so not brilliant but if you really really want something crunchy. The downside is that they only sell them in multipacks of six, and they are VERY nice!

• posted by Barbarar
    on

Kale crisps are excellent and you can add spices. Very moreish and not many calories. Google kale crisps.

• posted by Stacey
    on

I use half a ryvita (wholegrain) on my salad if I’m craving crunch. I just crush in my hand and sprinkle over. It feels like I’m having crutons but only 17cals and 3g of carbs. If you have the calories/carbs spare you can have a whole one with some avocado on. Thats what I have if I crave toast. Be careful though as I find letting stuff like that in regularly brings back my hunger and carb craving.

• posted by Izzy
    on

these are lovely and easy to make if you are willing to bake a little. I usually make a batch of these at the weekend and they last all week in an airtight container. I have them with cheese, dunk them in soup and crumble them to use as a coating for chicken at the end of the week.

Even my kids eat them and my daughter is fussy!

https://elanaspantry.com/sesame-crackers/

• posted by Collie
    on

Wow BSD’s thank you some great ideas.
    I’ll defo try kale crisps and the sesame seed crackers , just need to be careful as I still crave carbs , especially after any exercise . This is such a process , I had no idea when I started this way of life , that I would feel so differently about food. I do feel good but like most of us I Guess struggle in social setting, especially when I’m hungry. Thanks πŸΎπŸ™‹πŸ»πŸ“

• posted by Timmy
    on

I haven’t seen kale crisps available to buy, but they are easy to make. Wash and dry (thoroughly) some shredded kale. Drizzle with a little bit of olive oil and salt and put in really low oven (pretty much the lowest it can go) for 10-20 minutes. Done.

They don’t last long though, either because you’ll have eaten them or because they go floppy after a couple of hours. I have heard (but haven’t tried it) that you can store them for up to a couple of days in a sealed container that has some dry rice in some of that fine material stuff (I’m a bloke and I don’t know what it’s called!). I’ve no idea on how effective it is.

Please log in or register to post a reply.