Cream cheese

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Squidge
    on

I accidentally bought a tub of cream cheese (that kind of thing is why I don’t go out on my own much!) What can I use it for? Would it work as the base for a cheese sauce?

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Yes, it makes a good base for a cream sauce, or you could thin ot as little, add some herbs or spices and use as a dip. Another option is to mix in a little almond or coconut flour, add some flavourings and top chicken or pork fillets to give a light crust.

• posted by JGwen
    on

I like to grill large mushrooms that have been stuffed with cream cheese.

• posted by Marsie
    on

Maggie Beer has a good gluten free pastry recipe using cream cheese.

• posted by Squidge
    on

Thanks for the suggestions. I’m going to try a cheesy ‘pasta’ bake using broad beans in place of pasta with half and stuffed mushrooms with the rest.

JGwen, do you cook them at all before stuffing, or just top with the cheese and grill?

• posted by JGwen
    on

With a hot grill I put them so that the back bit cooks for a while and then turn them over, fill and back under the grill. – But only if they are big and thick.

• posted by Squidge
    on

Thanks, Gwen. I’ll give it a go – probably with some garlic too.

We had the bake last night. That worked really well.

• posted by WindyJulz
    on

Cream cheese is super useful….. cream sauces, cheese causes (think veggie bake in a cheese sauce), add to soup to make it creamy, beat in with an egg to make a protein pancake, mix with some proper cacao powder and ginger to make a wee choc mouse type thing, spread on smoked salmon and roll up (christmas starter in our house)…..

• posted by Squidge
    on

Thanks – nice ideas!

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Liking the cacao and ginger idea, might just use that for a little treat for my birthday dinner 🙂

• posted by freester
    on

Most of these are from the recipe books but…
    Chicken wrapped in parma ham put some herbs in the cream cheese between chicken and ham.
    Topping for a brocolli / cauli gratin mixed with sour cream

Also cream cheese can be used for a fathead pizza dough.

• posted by Squidge
    on

I just made a version of JGwens stuffed mushrooms. I added garlic puree, some defrosted spinach and a chopped shallot. It was really good. My husband pulled a face at the idea, then ate the lot and said that’s going on the list of things to have again!

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Put some cream cheese in the carbonara type sauce I made this evening. OH had it with pasta and I had it with shredded kale …. was very nice.

• posted by WindyJulz
    on

Feeling inspired by this, I added some to my leek and cauliflower soup last night, me and OH fully approved! Really good heart warming dinner!

Please log in or register to post a reply.