Cravings

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by nannoo
    on

This is my first week, now on day 6. Started off fine, by day 3 I was congratulating myself, not hungry and no cheats. But on Thursday I was craving biscuits, I fought it, drank lots of water, went for a walk … but I finally gave in and had a biscuit. Yesterday I had two. Tonight I had two again. When I get the craving I do really try not to give in, but when it gets too much it’s as if nothing stops me, my mind just blanks out all the reasons why I am doing this diet. Don’t know how to keep strong. (And not having biscuits in the house will not work for me, when I need something sweet I would just go to the shop if the craving was that strong).

• posted by OzVeggy
    on

Distractions can sometimes help. Have a hot bath, chew sugar free gum, get naked in front of the mirror and think about your need for the sweets. I disagree about keeping the bickies in the house… chuck them in the bin, preferably smashed to crumbs first. If you think you would go to the shops anyway, make yourself walk there.

Maybe eat something really filling that doesn’t leave room for anything else. I made cauliflower mash last night and I reckon that’s a filling comfort food. Or try a low-calorie hot chocolate.

Hang in there. This is about not dying! We want to live long and live well. ๐Ÿ˜Š

• posted by nannoo
    on

Thank you OzVeggy. Getting naked in front of the mirror would do it!!!!!! I do think that I am not eating enough (of the low calorie filling foods). Mashed cauli sounds good. And of course, yes, I have to make myself think about the horrible things that await me if I DON’T do this. Thank you.

• posted by SkyWalker
    on

You must realise that you are addicted to sugar by now? Slow withdrawal may work and cold turkey is tough but also works. You are reprogramming your brain to eat more healthily and knowledge is a key part of this. Read Dr M’s stuff again as it can be very motivating, search these forums for topics you need to brush up on and do not feel guilty – it is a wasted emotion but at least it burns calories! It can be hard but when you get the protein v fluid v fasting balance right for you the cravings will stop and become rare events. I still have occasional ones and am finishing week 16 today. It works.

• posted by Maefly
    on

Ooooh yes, mashed cauli! I have to have mine with a bit of soft cheese, it definitly fills a gap. It fills the psychological gap of foods that you can serve with a scoop, which generally are barred to diabetics i.e. mashed potato and ice cream. ๐Ÿ™‚
    I find brushing my teeth helps take my mind off food, my impulse is then to go out and do something.
    Be strong! You can beat the biscuit!

• posted by nannoo
    on

Skywalker, how do you know when you have that protein/water/fasting balance right? I’m on the 8 week diet, which I believe doesn’t have any fasting days (so far), but I would love to get to the stage when I could happily fast. How do you KNOW when you are doing this right?

• posted by Angela48
    on

Hi nannoo I am on day 5 and started getting sugar cravings day four too . Plenty of water and I read some really good previous posts on the site really motivating. I also have my daughters wedding in 11 weeks and a dress that at the moment is one size too small. A walk upstairs to the wardrobe is extra steps and motivation. Stay strong you’re worth it ๐Ÿ˜Š

• posted by nannoo
    on

Oh, so low today. My vision was really blurry so I checked my BS reading … 29 !!! Yesterday I had to go out to Sunday lunch with friends and I ate half a Yorkshire pudding and one roast potato with my lunch. And I had wine. Today’s reading made me realise that this is not an 8 week diet, these are changes that I have to make for life. Forever. That was an enormous realisation.

• posted by Bissell
    on

Hi Nannoo. Sometimes a little bit of what you fancy is far worse than none at all! At least it is for me. I just can’t do ‘moderation’. I’m much better with abstinence. I remind myself that if I eat whatever it is that I shouldn’t it will only be enjoyed for a minute, but then the consequences will remain. I’m on day 33 now and it’s almost becoming a way of life. And for me, I can see that when I’ve reached my target it will need to remain a way of life, but with more calories (yes!)
    All the positives I’m seeing, health wise, are such a huge incentive to beat the cravings. You mention blurry eyes; yesterday whilst driving I remembered the eye spray I needed every day as my eyes were so dry. I haven’t used it once since I started the diet. And walking in the sun yesterday, I notice (tmi) no thighs rubbing together!
    It’s so worth it, being in control and feeling healthier. You can do it. Stick with it.
    Have a great day.

Please log in or register to post a reply.