Countdown to March 20th from a newbie :-)

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Just B
    on

Hi all,

Was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes about a month ago.

Have done my research and came across the BSD and have just finished reading the Dr Michael Mosley book.

Have really realised how much I have let myself go over the last few years and am looking at my diagnosis in a positive way as a kick up the backside to change my ways….. reading the book and understanding that there is a way of reversing this is music to my ears and I’m hoping that after the 8 weeks has been completed (and stuck to) not only will I be diabetes free but also on a path to a new me.

My start date will be Monday week, March the 20th – if anyone else wishes or is able to start then too in order we can all support each other then that would be great ๐Ÿ™‚

Thanks for reading and all the best.

Just B

• posted by Just B
    on

Just a bit of advice please if possible – I drink skimmed milk, nice and cold, two or three glasses a day (as well as plenty of water)

How good or bad would skimmed milk be a) on this 8 week diet and b) generally as part of the continuous Mediterranean style diet when the 8 weeks is up?

Any advice or guidance is appreciated, thank you ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Hi there, welcome, as for the milk, I have never gone back to full fat milk but hardly ever drink it as I have green tea and just one coffee a day. All I can suggest is that you check the calories, if you are on the BSD 800 Cal Fast you might not be able to fit in 2 or 3 glasses of milk per day. On a word about your diagnosis, yes you are in a very fortunate position having found this diet, you are quite likely to be able to reverse it. Good luck and let us know how you get on.

• posted by Jenni from the Block
    on

Skim milk is higher in carbs than fullcream milk. Depending on how ‘skimmed’ the milk is, the Carbs are around 4.99 per 100 mls and 42 calories per hundred mls. One 250ml glass will be about 12.4 grams of carbs and 105 calories. 3 glasses would use up a large proportion of your 800 calories and carbs for the day.

• posted by Just B
    on

Very helpful thank you – I’d love to get on with green tea but have tried it a few times and just can’t get on with it!
    Yeah I figured my milk consumption may have to go – was just rather hoping it didn’t ๐Ÿ™‚ To be fair my doc did say that the diabetes would make me hyper thirsty, it’s just my go to drinks have always been water and milk – will just have to make it water now……. ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Just B
    on

Thanks for the advice Jenni – scary (and a little disappointing!) stuff if I’m honest…… oh well, in for a penny in for a pound…. the milk will have to go!

Please log in or register to post a reply.