Couch to 5K

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by gooismeid
    on

I’ve just completed 4 weeks of the Fast 800 diet and have noticed that the weight loss has slowed down after 3 spectacular weeks – I lost none at all in the fourth week, which is disappointing, but then I did have to negotiate a full-on Mothers Day dinner cooked by my kids! However, I’m feeling better, not getting much in the way of hunger pangs, and getting more energetic. So I decided today that I should do something about getting moving. I downloaded a Couch to 5K running app for my phone and spent half of my lunch hour doing a brisk walk/jog to the instructions given to me by this disembodied American voice from my phone. It was surprisingly easy, although I was definitely out of breath at the end of it. Listening to fast disco music certainly helped with the pace and motivation. Anyone else doing the same?

• posted by Julia18togo
    on

Hi I did the NHS couch to 5 programme. You download the podcasts from their website and the music is OK (most of it anyway) and you are talked through it by a very lovely sounding woman called Laura (UK accent). She even anticipated when I got a stitch and soothed me past it. Helpful tips along the way. There are tonnes of couch to 5k programmes out there but I found this one excellent, manageable and what’s more did 600k last year. For an exercise-phobe such as I was that’s miraculous.

• posted by zebbie
    on

I did the couch to 5 K a few years ago. I love running now. Once you master 5 K, even if you don’t run for a while it is easy to pick it up again. I never had to go back to run-walk etc.
    I’ve joined parkrun now. There is a parkrun in many large towns on Saturday, it’s free, and a great community thing. Mind you it’s totally addictive.

• posted by gooismeid
    on

Good to hear it worked for you zebbie and julia18togo. I don’t mind the american accent on the one I’ve downloaded (from zenlabs), because it allows me to set my own playlist from the music on my phone. I’m not sure that any other app would mix up Motorhead with the Jackson 5…

• posted by Celsa
    on

I did a c25k in late 2014, and it really ignighted a love of running for me! I haven’t been able to do much in the last year because of a foot injury (and the NHS is taking forever to help me sort it) and I miss running terribly. But, I just picked some orthotics today, so fingers crossed this is the beginning of the end of my foot problem!

• posted by FatCat
    on

There’s even a Pooch to 5k (Australian website I think) to encourage you to get your dog active too!

Please log in or register to post a reply.