Continuing beyond 8 weeks?

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Michael Rolls
    on

As I’ve mentioned in another thread I have now completed week 6, and althouhg there is some progress it is very slow regarding FBG, whihc is by far my main concern. The advice seems to be to only do the 800 diet of 8 weeks, but what are the drawbacks to going beyond 8 weeks.
    I don’t find 800 calories a problem – although I have exceeded it three times in the 6 weeks knocking up a little over 1000 on two occasions and fractionally under 1000 on another, my average intake over the 6 weeks is 719 calories. I started trying to do something about my weight and BS on the 1st of January and started the BSD Ion the 24th. Prior to the 24th I averaged 1010 calories.
    Mike

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

I am in my 8th month but have had some breaks in that time during holidays etc. I always stick to the low carb and think in the whole 8 months I have had one bite (just to taste it) of baguette and about 10 chips (not all at the same time) nicked from hubbys plate when I cook them for him – too hard not to. Last night we had roast chicken and I had 1tablespoon of sage and onion stuffing and it really didn’t add to my pleasure of the meal so wont bother again. One day I will have white carbs now and then but not right now with my BG still coming down. HbA1c test next week.

on

Sunshine girl
    Thanks for that
    Mike

• posted by donnyman
    on

I did 8 weeks prior to Christmas and I’ve been back on it since 1st January. Hba1c is normal and fasting glucose always below 5. I went way OTT with the chocolate on st valentines day and had lots of low carb pancakes on pancake day so many it still came to 75g of carbs. blood glucose remained normal though.

on

donnyman
    Thanks for that – cheering to hear
    Mike

• posted by captainlynne
    on

No drawbacks to doing more than 8 weeks. I did just that as I had so much weight to lose. It took 38 weeks to get to my original target weight. I had no problems and felt great. Then I lost another stone and am now maintaining. I’ve had no ill effects from following the BSD longer term and feel better than in many years.

on

captainlynne
    Many thanks for that – very encouraging
    Mike

• posted by krmoore1542
    on

I’m a fan! I’ve been doing it for 5 months + 1 week and today I’ve reached the 50kg loss mark (well 50.3kg to be exact!!!!) I’m down from a size 26 to 18 and can’t believe how easy it has been and how quickly the weight has dropped off. I’ve previously tried every diet and eating plan under the sun and put the weight back on plus more! I am no longer tempted by sugar (chocolate was my absolute weakness) or carbs and am planning on losing another 15kgs to reach my goal weight of 80kgs. On every other diet I would still ‘factor in’ a piece of chocolate or treat within my daily calorie or points allowance. Perhaps because of the elimination of sugars and carbs on this diet, I no longer have the ‘chemical’ sugar cravings and don’t desire sweet treats as I have done in the past. I feel so much better and have a lot more energy. Whilst I didn’t have a blood sugar problem, I did have high blood pressure, which is now back down in the normal range again. My partner initially did the diet for eight weeks last year and dropped 18kgs in that time – after one week he was off his type 2 diabetes tablets and within 2 weeks down to a quarter of his blood pressure medication dosage which he’d been on for 5 years. Seeing his results encouraged me to start on the BSD in October 2016 – previously even thinking about dealing with my weight seemed like too big a task given the amount I had to lose. All the recipes have been delicious (the recipe book is a great investment) and I’d encourage anyone thinking of giving it a go to just start!!!!

• posted by SueBlue
    on

Krmoore – 50.3kgs that is fantastic! Well done, it’s so inspiring to read stories such as you and your partners 🙂
    I finished my first round of 8 weeks last Friday, and started another round on Monday. I’ve lost 6kg so far and have another 20-25kg to go. I’m really enjoying the foods too, and agree that the recipe book is a great investment – I don’t always follow the recipes 100% butuse it for inspiration all the time.

• posted by fletchrf
    on

Can only agree with Sue Blue – inspiring

• posted by GrannieAnnie
    on

Hey krmoore1542 – my goal is also 80kg! Just finished Week 10 and have lost 16.5Kg – still a long way to go, but couldn’t agree more with all your comments about previous diets and the elimination of all sugar and carbs. I’ve noticed on a friends FB page that her ‘diet ‘ (SW ) is forever trying to concoct pudding type dishes that people can, sort of, get away with on the diet. Much, much better just to ditch the lot and lose the cravings. Definitely no drawbacks to keeping going with the 800 Michael Rolls – my daughter has dropped 32kg in 6 and half months . She had 2 days ‘off’ over Christmas but is happily sailing along … she has 2 lively boys as well!!

• posted by janb
    on

I feel better having read all these comments. Having lost 3 stone in 3 months on BSD followed by 5:2 I was shocked today when GP told me my fasting BS levels are still too high (6.8) even though Hba1c has come down from 44 to 38. I probably need to lose another 2-3 stone to get rid of visceral fat so will join you all for a second time.

on

janb
    I find that confusing – I was under the impression that an Hba1c reading of under 50 was seen as satisfactory. At the most recent check (entirely my own fault and why I am following the BSD regime) had, after several years of hovering at the 50 mark, gone up to 75 and the practice nurse reckoned that I would never be ale to get it back under 50 other than with medication – so I am trying very hard to prove her wrong!
    Mike

on

Just a reminder, if your fasting bg is high it might be liver dump. Try having a snack before bedtime.

• posted by janb
    on

Thanks again sunshine-girl. Trouble is doc wants fasting lipids test too so can’t eat after 8pm night b4!

• posted by janb
    on

Me too! Thought HbA1c of less than 42 was not diabetic but GP was using fasting blood sugar level to diagnose?#!

• posted by Esnecca
    on

That is so weird. The whole point of the HbA1c is that it gives an accurate bigger picture because it’s a 12-week average. Could you have your FBG test and the fasting lipids test taken on different days, at least? I would considering seeking a second opinion, janb.

on

janb, you should only need to fast from 8pm is you are having your test done between 6am and 8am, fasting needs to be between 10 and 12 hours. If your test is at 9am you could still eat a small amount at 9.30 or 10 pm. Depends, what time will your test be. Anyway that is only one night, you could try the snack trick other nights just to see if it works for you. Another thing is to have some white wine vinegar in warm water just before bed. I havent tried this myself as I always leave cals for a snack.

Please log in or register to post a reply.