Confessions of a forum lurker

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Nervousnellie
    on

I am slightly ashamed to say that I have been reading these forums for 9 months but have never had the courage to post, in fact I have never written any sort of blog, so this is a first. I submitted a ?? Pen name a few weeks ago- nervous nellie – because writing this is slightly discombobulating to me – isn’t that a great word, better than anxious
    I also know that after a first flush of optimistic enthusiasm i can get a bit overwhelmed by the busy-ness of life and my commitment tails away. As a kid joined girls brigade , I think my mother wanted me to get out more- bit of a fat nerdy kid- went weekly until mum bought the uniform which included a hat the shape of a pancake and then never went again. My younger sister wore that hat on a day to day basis, alternating with my riding hat, which I also no longer used after falling off , which she wore to bed until her head started to become misshapen and the hat had to disappear .
    Any way always been a bit fat and after another sisters wedding last year, where I saw this fat middle aged woman I decided to do something . A GP friend told me that she was buying the BSD book for her patients and I thought I’d take a look. I was convinced by the science and the references – still a nerd but now just a bit less fat.
    So I started , 9 months later I am 3 1/2 stone down with 6lbs left to hit my target which is the upper limit of my BMI.
    That’s the good bit, bad bit I have been trying to lose these last 6lb since Xmas and have been oscillating , another good word in my opinion , for weeks .
    So this is my introduction to the BSD forum world, please join me if you too have been lurking and have never tried this before , I will try to write a post on a semi regular basis as a way of strengthening my resolve and commitment to the diet which has given me control over my nemesis – my appetite – was always just a bit peckish but no longer.
    Today I am fasting for 16 hours, topped up with tea, considering a cider vinegar fizz I just saw on the gut forum. Tried plain as a drink was revolting. One of my motivation in writing was to pass the last hour and to distract me from the rather loud grumbles emanating from my gut forum.
    See what I did there ??
    Good day to you all .
    NN

• posted by dumptynomore
    on

Hi NN – Welcome -how could I not reply to you. I, too have, recently ‘come out.’ See my confession on ‘determined alcoholic’ under ‘welcome to BSD’ – that’s a brilliant and very supportive forum.

So – congrats on taking the leap. Great success and here’s hoping you wind it up soon. From my extensive reading, the recommendation is to change it up a bit to get that weight moving. You seem to be doing that – so – won’t be long before you’re there. Good luck and all the best!

Stilldumpty x

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Hi nervousnellie and welcome. You have done so well. It is always on the last hurdle that resolve waivers. You probably look so good now that you are still adjusting to your new shape and size and dont feel quite so bad about yourself when more than 3 stone heavier. That makes you a little less strict with the diet because weight is no longer a really big issue. What you need to tell yourself is you have come so far and you will reach your final goal and you can do it. When you get there you will also have to think about maintenance and that is another issue that people on here can help with as there are many who are at goal weight, dont want to lose more but are scared to eat just in case it goes back on. So keep going and keep blogging and watching other posts to get you to where you want to be. Me, no I’m not there yet, still a way to go.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Hey nervousnellie – welcome to the clan! You have done fantastically well to date and I can’t imagine doing what you have, without the support of the lovely folk on the forum, who have dispensed advise and support on a regular basis, to keep me on track and sticking with it.

Sunshine-girl is right, it’s easy to loose focus when you’re getting close to target weight, so you’d be very welcome on any of the threads on here to make sure you keep pushing ahead to your ultimate goal. There is a thread – Starting the last push to ultimate goal today …. – populated may people who are getting close, but are still not there yet and there is a mini-goals thread – 2017 MINI-GOALS. WHAT ARE YOURS? – where people post interim goals, to help to keep themselves motivated.

How ever you decide to tackle the last bit of your weight loss, I wish you every success – you have proved you can do this, so I’m sure you’ll soon get there. Keep us posted on your progress.

on

Thanks all for replies , its made me realise you guys are real, I have looked in on these posts a couple of times a week across most of the year and have followed the tips and the struggles of this community . I remember reading from somewhere that the Nottingham research on reversing type 2 diabetes has found that having the support of others is a key to weight loss success which is one of the reasons for taking this plunge.
    I am following the determined alcoholic thread most days since it began as it is funny, with the odd occasional drama and made me realise a bit of swearing is ok on the forum and like the observational nature if it which I hope to follow.
    SG and SB agree about how my motivation has dropped as weight lessened and family and friends begin to notice.
    Have others noticed though that it is a bit like when you are pregnant , this applies of course to the women of the forum, that your weight loss becomes public proporty. In my work, which is in health, so maybe we are a nosy bunch to begin with, I have had my loss discussed across meeting tables. Interestingly though many of my colleagues are following suit and I think my initial openness had led to a bit of a social movement.
    Thus has also happened in my family, my sister, son ,husband and brother in law have all joined the team and between us we have lost fourteen stone and counting .
    Did try vinegar fizz as I warned I might , needed a bit of tonic was ok , but tasted like a G and T left out overnight, then did a pastry less quiche. Used squeezed frozen spinach, yoghurt, Parmesan and lemon rind as a base bound together with a tablespoon of almond flour. Not bad I must say.
    NN

• posted by Californiagirl
    on

So I might take a fresh look at it — you’ve lost an admirable amount of weight and now you are struggling for six months to lose just six more pounds? Maybe your body needs to settle down for a bit and regain its balance — when we diet as seriously as we do in BSD, we definitely disrupt the stable physical self that all bodies strive to maintain (and I mean your body, which is always working toward a steady energy state and equilibrium).
    How about you step back into maintenance (where I am now) and just “sit” with your wonderful new weight for awhile.
    Let your body exhale and rest. Then you can look at it with fresh eyes in a couple of months. Who knows, maybe you are at a good sustainable weight for you.
    Losing that much weight is BIG work for your body and your brain. Maintenance could be restful for you while you gather up the energy/resolve for that last six pounds.

• posted by Euthenia
    on

I too have lost all the weight I need to and would like some advice on maintaining that weight without losing more. Odd as it seems I’m finding it hard to find clothes which will fit if I get smaller! (BMI 19.5). Thanks

• posted by Californiagirl
    on

Hi Euthenia — fantastic results — you worked hard! There are some good threads on maintenance here so you can get great advice.
    I’ve been at goal since last June, I haven’t gained anything back — I eat very low carb, usually less than 40-50 grams per day (and almost ALL of that carb is from vegetables) — moderate amount of protein (any kind except cured meats) and good fats, heavy cream in my coffee, cheese, avocados, olive oil, butter and lots of salads and veg except starchy veg and some fruit and some wine!
    No bread, no crackers, no cookies or sweets. I figure I average about 2200 calories per day. i do exercise and hike and swim but not every day although I try to get in a walk on non-active days.
    I think the most important is the carbs — I can really pretty much eat my fill of everything else but carbs are a problem — they activate my appetite and so I just don’t eat them. My big reward for a couple hours hiking is a draft beer! Man do I look forward to hiking! Haha!

• posted by Euthenia
    on

Thanks for the advice. Mr Euthenia is delighted he can eat more of the same but keen to tell me he likes beer!
    Pastryless quiche is fine…. lunches of sweet potatoes instead of pastry work well so I’ll try the nervousnellie option above! Isn’t it odd how people respond when they ask how you lost weight! They seem to come back weeks later and ask for details…

on

Ohh Euthenia what a lovely problem to have , agree with California girl . I had weekend away at cold and wet seaside and decided to have an ice cream and ate half a small jersey potatoe. Next day peckish all day , ate seaweed crisps and chewed gum in between meals to get me through as I now know I am responding to insulin highs and lows . 2 days later appetite reset. Interestingly thought the potatoe had unpleasant texture never noticed before. Good fats have made this diet tasty, varied and sustainable I suggest that you use them as your balancing food – they are so high in calories that a little goes a long way.
    The reason for beginning to write today is to bring back into the front of my mind that I am dieting which means counting the calories , weighing stuff, not having seconds cos it was tasty and planning a bit more ahead.
    I love food and use it as a reward, a comfort , it connects me to my past and is an outlet for the little bit of me that is creative . I know that if I use all the startegies that this diet has shown me I’ll get those last pesky 6lbs down then will join the maintenance crew- again see what I did there .
    NN

on

Key thought this lovely morning
    Does anyone eat Quark?? Don’t think I have seen in mentioned in any of the forums
    It is lower in calories that Greek yog and low in fat but high in protein so I have used to reduce calories
    of Greek yoghurt especially right at the beginning when appetite bigger. I also a savoury cheesecake with feta with it which was ok.

So 1.5lb off for me , 4.5 to go. Ok with that considering really busy week involving distressingly hot commuting.
    Makes me feel very sorry for myself and that emotion drives me to treat myself which is either food and or booze or both.
    Cold soda water sometimes cuts it, but not always.
    Thjs week actively increased fat intake, bought whipping cream and used for cold coffee, ( whipped up in whizzer gadget – tastes like my favourite coffee chain frozen latte,) and then used to make a rhubarb fool. Rhubarb zapped in microwave 2 mins, sweetener , 2 tbls cream with 1tbls Greek yog whipped , then to give a boost I add 1/2 teaspoon citrus mixed peel, this just gives a orangery pop as you eat,. Without peel I calculated at about 170kcal.
    Can’t find calories for mixed peel but I also use mixed up with cocoa nibs with yoghurt . I know they are loaded with a sugary syrup but use tiny amount and gives me a chocolate orange hit. These small treats have allowed me to keep going over 9 months and I eat when on the 5 bit of the 5:2.

It still feels strange to me that you increase your fat and your weight goes down.
    Strict 800 day today and a Davina workout better get on with that before gets too hot.
    NN

• posted by Mixnmatch
    on

I have used quark a few times, but tend to prefer the higher fat cream cheeses. I have some goat milk curd at the moment that is beautifully spreadable and very tasty.

It feels strange to a lot of us that you need to increase your dietary fat to lose body fat, but it does make sense when you think about the whole process of fat storage and release.

Please log in or register to post a reply.