Cholesterol

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Bill1954
    on

I may have missed this somewhere in the book, but I, and I suppose many other diabetics also suffer from high cholesterol. I take statin tablets for it.
    Won’t the use of dairy and fatty products in the diet lead to an increase in cholesterol ? and if so, what can we do to combat it ?
    Be just my luck to lose the weight, get the blood sugar down, and have a coronary. 🙁

• posted by Floraellen
    on

Hi Bill. Its a bit like the chicken and the egg, which came first the diabetes or the high cholesterol. I feel that the amount of fat in the diet is minimal and used to emphasise the flavour and l think thank goodness l can now put olive oil on my salad without the guilt. I am not using much butter as l am not eating bread. I am no longer using those low fat products full of fat producing carbohydrates.

• posted by Aliba
    on

Hi Bill….I think Floraellen is right, haven’t found this to be like the Atkins diet. The fats are good healthy ones not icecream, cream and all the horrid fats in carb rich foods.

• posted by Whoopsie Daisy
    on

I have slightly raised cholesterol and I usually have a Benecol yoghurt drink each day. Can anyone tell me if this is allowed on the BSD diet? Thank you,

• posted by Clare (BSD Admin)
    on

Hi Whoopsie Daisy (love the name!) Worth checking the label of the Benecol as most of them contain a lot of sugar…

on

Thank you. I’ve just had a look and Benecol light (the one I usually have) has 4.7g of sugar per bottle – nearly 1tsp. Is that OK or too much sugar? I’ll see if I can compare with some other makes, such as own brands.

on

Tesco Cholesterol Reducing Strawberry Yoghurt Drinks is better, at 3.5g sugar per bottle, cheaper too! I think I will swap. 🙂

Please log in or register to post a reply.