CHICKPEA CHILLI – GORGEOUS BUT WAY OVER THE 270 CALORIES?

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by SuttonWillow
    on

Help, I am making the chickpea chilli in the BSD book page 104 for the second time. IT IS GORGEOUS but having logged the recipe into My Fitness Pal the calories per portion come to over 600 per person, not the 270 quoted. The volume of food is huge and I am wondering if the serving of 2 quoted should have been 4?? I genuinely couldn’t eat half of the quantity. If I cut it to 4 portions it comes out at around 310 calories which is more like it. Any comments welcome. Thank you!

• posted by RubyG
    on

There have been various reports of inaccuracies in some of the recipes in the books, so just as well you tracked it yourself.
    If splitting into 4 portions works for you, keep it to that, and always check 🙂

• posted by florob85
    on

Hi SuttonWillow

A lot of us have found the calorie counts are out but also the portion sizes are massive – I made a salad the other day that said it was one serving, we would have had enough to feed both of us for three days! I’d suggest doing exactly what you’ve done and work out the counts yourself, then divide it into as many portions as you feel would work – I often divide things that should be for 2 (from any recipe book, not just BSD/Fast800) into four or even 6 portions and freeze, then I just use green leafy veg to bulk out the meal

L x

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Hi there, I have just looked at the recipe on page 104 and could just make a couple of comments. A 400g can of chickpeas is not 400g of chickpeas as the can includes the liquid. Pour away the liquid and you are left with 200g of actual chickpeas so your single portion comes in a 100g. Yes it is still quite high in calories at 369 per 100g. So I looked for different sites and found the 100g portion is for the dried chickpeas and when they have been rehydrated they swell up and weigh a lot more, as they are in the cans, they come out at around 200 cals for 100g.

Having said all that, yes they are carby and calorific. Have infrequently and not too many but they are really good for you.

Please log in or register to post a reply.