Cheese!

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by mike9
    on

Still confused. Michael is clear about dairy but am still reading respectable sources urging caution about this aspect of the approach – the diet is nonetheless working for me ….. with cheese still featuring say 2/3 times a week

Helps maybe that in my twenties I was a veggie and have two children that are

• posted by AuroraMagic
    on

Hi mike9
    I’ve been told to watch the hard cheese and try to have the soft cheeses as they are better if you are trying to reduce cholesterol especially.
    But to have cheese in small quantities – 30g a portion seems to be fine. 🙂
    I’ve now learned to reduce to this portion size and it seems to work. 🙂
    Perhaps to some degree it also depends on how quickly you want to lose weight or ‘reach your goal’ what ever that is.
    So the more you restrict but keep up a varied diet the general theme seems to be the quicker you can reach your goal. But everyone finds it’s a little different for them, and we just need time & trial and wrror, to find what is individually best (too)! 🙂

• posted by Firefox7275
    on

Shamelessly coping and pasting my own reply from the Fast 800 subforum …..

You asked which cheeses are better nutritionally or easier to digest. In the Clever Guts Diet book, Dr Mosley recommends cheeses which contain live bacteria, such as Greek Feta (sheeps +/ or goats milk) and French Roquefort (unpasteurised sheeps milk). Yes as you say goat’s cheese: the log type with the white rind.

Many of the European traditionally made/ local cheeses contain live bacteria and yeasts. Other examples include Brie de Meaux, Camembert de Normandie (both cows milk), Parmaggiano reggiano (unpasteurised cows milk) and Pecorino romano (unpasteurised sheeps milk). These are named exactly as I typed them plus the mark PDO or DOP so we know they are the ‘real deal’.

If you are not in the UK or Europe you may be able to get some of these, or other live or unpasteurised cheeses local to you from a farmers’ market or good deli.

Anyway HTH knowing what Dr Mosley recommends!

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Cheeses are limited because of the high calorie count. A small piece is okay but a small chunk can easily rack up 400 cals i.e. 100 g cheddar. Also the soft cheeses are lower in calories.

Please log in or register to post a reply.