changing perceptions

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Hi folks, roughly three weeks ago I had my asthma review and my asthma nurse was very impressed with my weight loss and well being since I started the BSD. She noted the name of the book and this website to pass the information to diabetic relatives. Today my GP was impressed and wrote down the title of the book so she could buy copies for herself and her mother.

At this rate of interest among the medical profession we may see it getting recommended to patients before too much longer!!!

Happy days!! Lives saved from years of misery!!

• posted by Bill1954
    on

Great news Judith
    You know, it sounds like the message may just be starting to get through.
    Can you imagine the day when T2D is erradicated ?
    Now THAT would be what you call a medical breakthrough.

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Great news ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

As we show the professionals our results, surely they must acknowledge that it works! Then it can be rolled out to more patients so more folk can benefit.

Is ‘t it great to be in at the start of all this ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Hi Bill, it’s amazing isn’t it? I would love to see the day that T2 is eradicated. My friend’s partner is T2 and totally resistant ‘too much effort’ ‘I can’t be bothered’. This is despite having a BSD meal round at my house where he did NOT fall into a diabetic coma. I printed off recipes from the mail and stuck them in a folder. I bought him the book. I made him some flatbreads to have instead of toast….. but no. Too much effort. He ‘knows what works for me’. That explains the diabetic comas then And the beginning of retinopathy. And the nervy tingling in the feet. Some people just will not help themselves ๐Ÿ™

For all the sensible T2’s this is going to be a miracle!! A proper normal life to look forward to.

My son will be spreading the news as well – he’s seen what it has done for me. He was absolutely amazed at what it has done for you.

๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚ so happy

And Bill – me? Me? starting a new thread – what is happening in the world???

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Hi Lynne, I took all my data sheets with me like I said I would do, my GP was running her finger up and down the charts – she really was interested. All in my notes now!! She has arranged for me to have FSB, thyroid function and cholesterol tests done. I think she is as interested as me in the results.
    I think she was in deep shock before I even sat down – she treated me for an infection in early January – and is used to me dragging myself in looking half dead – not bouncing in like Tigger on speed! She is young so only known me for a few years hence she has never seen me the way she saw me today. She could see so much had changed before I said a word.

I wonder if the lift in mood to my old self is to do with the new energy – or does this diet do something very fundamental to one’s whole body??

I read your post about suffering with clinical depression, Lynne, life must have been so tough at times for you and yet you give others so much positive support and encouragement. I see you as a friend, someone I know I would get on with if we met. Your weight loss to date is roughly the same as mine. I have now decided I would like to drop another half stone to shift more fat from my belly. I still can’t believe how successful this has been for me – and you – and others. I could hug Professor Taylor and Michael Mosley! ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Bill1954
    on

It did come as a bit of a surprise Judith, there’ll be no stopping you now.
    Sounds like your friend is toeing the party line and following the old eat low fat and take your meds advice from the doc
    As I mentioned elsewhere, it’s amazing the amount of folk who take the docs word as gospel and never question it.
    The fact that you can show him both yours and your sons results is worrying, he sounds very dyed in the wool.

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Bill, he doesn’t listen to the doctors advice AT ALL! I don’t know how they haven’t strangled him. He still smokes, he will not walk even to the corner shop – he drives. So no exercise, smokes and only gave up Friday night alcohol binges a few years ago when even he knew they were making him ill. Oh and until very recently was eating lots of sugary food, donuts, family sized chocolate bars etc. You can imagine how my friend feels!

• posted by Bill1954
    on

Car crash waiting to happen isn’t he ?
    I know there are some really gruesome images on the net of limbs affected by diabetic ulcers pre amputation.
    Try sticking them in front of him and if that has no effect, I’m afraid he may be beyond help.

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Bill, my friend (his partner) is in renal failure (not diabetic in origin) so he has seen the renal wards full of diabetic patients who are blind amputees on dialysis. You would think it would have scared the hell out of him. His answer is always he knows what is best for him…..drrrrr
    I think you are right Bill, he is beyond help. How do the medical profession put up with it, it must be so frustrating for them.
    Car crash waiting to happen – sums him up.

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Hi Judith.

From one Tigger to another (that was my user name on another forum!), thanks for your kind words – they brought a tear to my eye. I feel you are my friend too. Who knows, we may meet in real life one day ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

Because I only moved here last June the nurse doesn’t really know me, but she too was amazed when I walked in after only a month on the BSD. Let’s see her reaction in April when I’ve had my HbA1c ๐Ÿ˜ƒ. Glad your doctor has your data sheets in your records now.

Unfortunately there are those who ‘always know best’ or just follow the official mantra without thinking if it is right for them.

My son, diagnosed type 2 after me and with higher reading at diagnosis than mine have ever been, still believes in eating carbs although he has cut down on alcohol. He eats Oats so Simple (2 sachets) for breakfast, often takes sandwiches for lunch, evening meal usually has potatoes, pasta etc. The weekly takeaway (usually Indian) he has Pilau rice. His late evening snack is cereal or a banana. And he tells me I’m not really diabetic, I’m just playing at it. He has already had a couple of laser treatments for retinopathy. He is on Metformin and another tablet, and a wake up call came a while ago when his levels were out of control and the GP mentioned him going on to insulin. He’s terrified of needles, so made some changes.

He’s not seen me since last October and doesn’t know I’m doing this so I wonder what his reaction will be. Oh, I do have a spare copy of the book in case he’s interested ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

I did know a lady who is diabetic and has COPD. She has sugar in her tea, eats biscuits, and still smokes although she is on oxygen. No idea what she eats at home, but I can imagine from what I’ve seen her eat. And I’ve known others who used to eat the dessert made without sugar, but when seconds were called would set the regular one, and always ate the cakes for birthdays. One diabetic man came to coffee morning and had toast, bought the cakes left over at the end, sat and ate them, then had his lunch – regularly sat there and wet himself! Like you say, it must be so frustrating for the medics. Indeed my nurse has said it is difficult.

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Lynne it must be so hard for you to see your son damaging himself like that. I truly hope he will see the sense of this diet when he sees the changes in you.
    The man at the coffee morning!!! He sounds much worse than my friends partner – never thought I would hear myself say that!
    My asthma nurse said that it was difficult to help patients who don’t want to help themselves as well – we were talking about diabetes because of the book.
    You never know, we may meet in real life one day, and boy, wouldn’t I love to be waving a placard in an audience with Doc Mosley there along with you and Bill and any others.
    ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Judith, that’s not all of it with my son unfortunately. There’s so much going on in that family unit, but it’s not for this forum. Unfortunately it means his stress levels are through the roof, which doesn’t help. I’ve become very good at keeping my mouth shut. (Yes, Bill – I can do that if I have to ๐Ÿ˜ฑ)

I help out with the twins, having them stay with me in some school holidays. But they live in Manchester and I’m in County Durham. When they come after Easter I’ll try feeding them the Mediterranean way. They don’t eat many sweets, but eat cereal every day, sandwiches at school, and lots of pasta, potatoes and rice.

I remember them having a kiddy meal from Subway – you should have seen them, nearly running round the walls as high as kites. Not repeated.

Not much I can do to influence their eating at home, but at my house ….. ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Lynne re your son it makes more sense in light of extra stresses x

• posted by captainlynne
    on

*nods* which is why I keep my mouth shut Judith. x

Please log in or register to post a reply.