Carbs

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Smythe
    on

What should one be aiming for in terms of the amount of carbs/protein/fats and calories taken daily?

• posted by caronl
    on

Hi Smythe,
    I am not sure if anyone has got back to you. I looked up an earlier post on this – check out LindaA in the search engine. I think each of us has worked out the ratios with a bit of trial and error, depending on levels of exercise and target healthy weight amongst other things. The BSD book only specifies a protein level as far as I recall. So the following is not gospel.
    Proteins and carbs have approx 4 calories per gram and fats have 9 calories per gram. Some of us on here aim for a max of 50 g carbs a day, which equals 200 cals. The guidance re protein is around 0.8 to 1g of protein per kilo of healthy body weight. Assuming you want to be 70kg, that would mean (70×0.8g) so 56g of protein – x 4cals gives 224 calories. That would leave 376 calories over for healthy fats – around 42g. So in sum: 50g carbs, 56g protein and 42g healthy fats. But as I said, this could vary considerably depending on personal circumstances.

The main message of BSD is to cut back on the white carbs – if you start by
    i} eliminating bread, rice, flour, pasta,
    ii) up your consumption of over the ground veg and protein such as eggs, lean meat, fish, and
    iii) ensure you consume healthy fats such as olive oli, nuts, avocado,
    iv) drink a lot of water
    you should not go far wrong. You can always finetune the ratios once you are further along.

This site and dietdoctor.com can give you lots of advice. The weekly thread is full of people ready to help – just check out the forum thread starting “One Week at a time…” Good luck!

• posted by Smythe
    on

Thank you so much for your response LindaA. I really appreciate it and have found it very helpful.!

• posted by caronl
    on

Hi Smythe. I’m glad it was helpful. I see a glitch makes it look like LindaA posted it. I’ll ask the moderators to amend it!

Please log in or register to post a reply.