Can losing weight too quickly cause skin to sag?

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Claire12345
    on

I have read the B.S.D & it sounds great. I am a sugar addict & love chocolate! I’m 2 stone overweight, due to really enjoying Christmas this year & stating a new job where i don’t move about a fraction of what i used to in my old job.

I am considering starting the diet after my holiday but am worried if I lose weight too quickly it may cause my skin on stomach to sag. Any advice?

Thanks Claire.

• posted by Mixnmatch
    on

I wouldn’t worry about it, this way of eating, particularly if you stay really well hydrated, seems to improve the skin’s elasticity in many of us, and I have lost 8 1/2 stone over 2 1/2 years (but most of it since last June) and have very little sag, mainly under my arms, and a little on the stomach and thighs, but improving all the time.

• posted by Claire12345
    on

Hi Maximatch,

That’s a great achievement, well down. Is that all down to B.S.D?
    Thanks for reassurance. I love tea, can you take tea on B.S.D. i never carried weight around my middle until i turned 40 but i must admit I’m a chocoholic! Lol

Thanks
    Claire

• posted by Mixnmatch
    on

I started BSD in June last year so am crediting it with the bulk of my success, I have never found another way of eating so easy to follow, as once I had the carb monster locked away I had no problems sticking to it (or at least sticking to it often enough, nobody is perfect).

Tea is fine, herbal, black tea and green tea are all allowed, and green tea and herbal tea can have other nutritional benefits. When you have started the way of eating your taste buds change, and you will probably find like i did that the chocolate craving is satisfied by a touch of the good stuff (dark choc, square or two at more than 70% cocoa, raw cacao powder, cocoa nibs) which are still frequently found in my diet.

• posted by NancyB
    on

Mixnmatch – possibly you have age on your side, you don’t say how old you are. If you are the right side of 40 then that is probably why your skin has shrunk back with the weight loss. I lost alot of weight when I was around 42, getting into size 12 jeans, and I was very lucky and my skin snapped back into place. Alas for me now I am 57 now and have to admit that loose skin is going to be a problem. Dr. Mosley does suggest taking a good multi-vitamin each day – Vitamin C promotes elasticity and collagen – so I think that’s a good idea. On all those ‘The Biggest Loser’ TV programmes from America almost always the dramatic weight loss is accompanied by a visit to a surgeon to remove the resulting loose and sagging skin no matter how young the person is. Think it does depend on your age, genetics and the amount of weight loss.

• posted by NancyB
    on

Claire – you have a relatively small amount (2st) to lose so I don’t think you should worry about loose skin. If you had 4 or 5 stone to lose then perhaps you should worry.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Don’t know if it helps, but I’m almost at goal weight and have lost just over 2st and whilst there is some slight wrinkling and crinkling in some areas, there isn’t any huge amounts of sagging skin and I am confident I look a hell of a lot better than I did before. I wouldn’t worry about a tiny extra bit of skin, what’s important is your general health, which will be improved by following the BSD.

Have a great holiday and wish you every success on the BSD when you start.

• posted by Claire12345
    on

Hi everyone,
    I’m 44. I’m 2.5 stone over my idea weight. I have 2 Children 10 & 8. I have a few stretch marks from having children.

I will try more water, vitamin c & use cream or oil on my skin.

Going to supermarket now for food. On week one lunch is thin crackers & tzastziki.

I will take my measurements tonight & let you know how my first day goes.

Thanks for advice

Claire. 💞

• posted by topcac
    on

Hi Claire – you shouldn’t need to worry – I’ve lost 2st 4lbs and I’ve had no problems at all – and I’m the wrong side of 40 – by quite a way!

• posted by Esnecca
    on

Claire, unless those are flaxseed crackers or a similar alternative, you should ditch them. Tzatziki can be problematic as well if it’s ready made. Read the label to be sure there are no added sugars and that the sugars that are naturally in there from the yogurt and cucumber aren’t too high for your daily carb intake.

Good luck!

• posted by Mixnmatch
    on

If only! I am 51 currently and was 49 when I started this way of eating just before my actual birthday last year. Having said that, the Boditrax measurements I had recently pegged my metabolic age at 35, which was quite pleasing.

• posted by Theodora
    on

I’m 67 and have lost 47lbs (3st 5lbs) and am now maintaining. I really don’t have any problem with sagging skin – yes, of course I would like it to be a little tauter – who wouldn’t at 67, but I think any sag in my skin is down to age, not bsd and, truthfully, even if it were bsd, I would happily trade a few wrinkles for the new slender me☺

Please log in or register to post a reply.