Can I fast all day and just have one meal in the evening.

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Kazd
    on

Hello just looking to start albeit with a few tweaks. Just recently I have been so busy at work that I have gone all day without food and just had an evening meal. Admittedly carb heavy followed by dessert, usually in the form of a magnum and a bar of chocolate!

What I would like to do is basically fast during the day and they cook up a low carb, high protein meal. Am looking at the use of barley which I love and believe is low carb, beef and barley soup springs to mind. Or a cottage pie with celeriac mash. I love celeriac chips as well. I am more a meat and potato kind of girl and unfortunately do not like fish, so the med diet with oily fish is not for me. Have only started to eat salad over the last few years but usually accompanied by Tesco Finest coleslaw – really is there any help for me.

I have followed the Dukan diet and lost almost two stone but struggled to motivate myself and get back on it. I have a goal though now which is to lose weight for my sons graduation and I have told him, so no pressure!

Essentially my question is it okay to fast through the day and eat in the evening. Filling myself up during the day with the odd cup of coffee and water.

• posted by Spirit
    on

Hello Kazd,

I don’t see any reason why not, check out the 5.2 forum. I used to do the 5.2, or 3.4 actually and lost 3.5 stone this way 2 years ago.

As per the book, you actually need a low carb, high fat diet with some protein.

there are lots of links on here especially in the fast 800 forum.

Good luck and welcome!

• posted by Janet1973
    on

If it works for you, why not? I find I don’t need to eat much before noon and sometimes don’t start eating before two. It means I can eat later in the evening as I can’t sleep if I am hungry. Hunger pangs in general aren’t nearly as bad as I expected though.

• posted by Celsa
    on

I second Spirit in saying you need to get more of your energy needs from fat than all protein. Try adding olive oil to your dishes 🙂

• posted by Anon Pilot
    on

IF you are actually Type 2 Diabetic I would have thought that fasting all day might be a bit risky. For myself I have found that I need to follow the three-main-meals-interspersed-with-two-snack pattern and drink lots of water in order to feel my best. If you feel well on it then I suppose it might be ok.

• posted by Aliba
    on

There is lots of evidence that fasting works well for T2. When diagnosed I was told to snack and terrified not to but in reality fasting for a period is good…..I don’t snack anymore allowing my body to recover between meals and try to leave as long as I can between evening meal and following days breakfast or sometimes miss out a meal and it really hasn’t been an issue.

A Canadian, Dr Fung runs a diabetes management system which involves very long fasts 24 hrs + (bit hard core for me) but on this site is one of the best videos about why we have diabetes and lots of examples of people who have fasted

https://intensivedietarymanagement.com/category/lectures/type-2-diabetes-lecture-series/

• posted by Kazd
    on

Hi

Thank you all for your responses.

I am not diabetic but I guess could possibly edging towards pre – I was in hospital last year for a suspected heart attack, angio confirmed not and clear arteries. They then thought it might be gall stones, I have it seems three large ones that aren’t going anywhere but possibly has a little one that slipped away and caused the problem. Whilst in hospital they said that my blood sugar level was 5.6, they weren’t unduly worried said it was just a little high.

I always use olive oil in cooking, frying etc. Although if for example I am making a chilli or spag bol I do not fry my mince in it, I dry fry the mince. But for all other types of frying I use it.

I think I will actually find it easier to not eat during the day than try and have three low cal meals. I would rather save up and have a decent evening meal.

• posted by Kazd
    on

Update, I am now one week in, I have had a mixture of days of fasting all day and eating in the evenings, made a big crock pot full of steak mince, carrots, onions, leeks, barley and lentils and had that for a few evenings. Actually had a takeaway on friday night but ate less than half and chucked the rest away. Also had some low cal cottage pies in the freezer with swede mash – no butter and had them a couple of nights. Have got some frozen weigh watchers desserts in the freezer and did have a couple last week but have since checked out the sugar content and they are 24% sugar, since then I cannot bring myself to eat another.

Yesterday my shopping delivery included egg pasta which apparently is okay if looking at low GI, it was delicious, I also had unsalted cashews (probably more than I should have had) and I still registered a loss this morning but smaller only about .3 of a lb. However my weight loss for the week is 6.3lb so am very happy. Just another 40 or so to go!

Please log in or register to post a reply.