Calorie count for book recipies way off?

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Girl_on_a_mission
    on

Hi all!

I’m very new to the diet, only 6 days in but struggling with the recipies in the book. The calorie and carb count seems way off compared to when I log it in my fitness pal- anyone else find this?

I’ve been following my own recipes but really struggling to get under 50 carbs a day.

Any help really appreciated- it’s my first time on a diet and ever using a forum

• posted by Mixnmatch
    on

Welcome to the forum, I don’t use either MFP or the recipes in the book but yes this has been mentioned. Some things to look out for though. You should be using net carbs, so take the fibre off the total if the data is from an American source. I believe the recipe book itself often goes over in carb terms as the 50 g limit is not mentioned there, and some days in the book meal plan may well be over this figure. I made up my own recipes all the time while on the 800, and tried to keep under 50g but didn’t worry too much if I went over. Some people need to cut carbs more severely to lose the weight though so I suggest you start at a level comfortable for you to reach, and see what happens over the first couple of weeks. If you are burning fat it should become obvious by the fact that your energy levels recover as you may experience some initial fatigue or lethargy when drastically lowering carbs. Keep us posted with how you are getting on and we can try to answer any questions you have.

on

Thanks for the quick response! I’m trying to stick to protein and a variety lof salad, peppers, green beans, cauliflower, brocoli . I’ve limited fruit to a handful of berries a day or an apple and some plain yogurt. I’m not sure I’m eating enough fat? I find that although my calories might not have hit 800 I have maxed out carbs?

I certainly felt very fatigued and it seems to have lifted slightly but I had major cravings and had to give in to a slice of bread.

• posted by Mixnmatch
    on

You may not be getting enough fat, and that is a very important nutrient to signal the brain that you are full, and provide alternative fuel for the body to use which it will supplement with your own fat stores.

A good place to start would be avocado, olives and olive oil, nuts and seeds, butter, coconut oil, even real mayonnaise and cream are all good sources of low carb fat. Oily fish as well, is fantastic and of course all the old low fat diet ideas like throwing away the chicken skin are no longer a good idea. Full fat greek style yoghurt is great, it can be used in cooking, to make dressings or just eaten with berries or flavourings. I like cauliflower and Broccoli mash, which I add chilli and garlic to, and some creme fraiche or butter to go with things like steak or chicken.

My macros when on 800 calories were about 40g carb, 77g protein and 37g fat, that was set for a very active period with a lot of exercise requirements, you may need less protein and more fat than that.

on

Thanks mixnmatch for the tips! Really appreciate the support.

Please log in or register to post a reply.