BSD and Warfarin

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Fredforest
    on

Anyone else on Warfarin? Since dieting in earnest my INR levels have headed downwards. As I have lost weight my Warfarin dose has gone up and my INR has gone down.

It’s now 1.4 and my Warfarin has gone up.

I am convinced that it is due to the weight loss and perhaps losing the fat in my liver but wondered if anyone else has a similar experience?

• posted by SUE2000
    on

Hi I’m SUE2000 just starting I had Warfin 5years but could not get levels to stay. Also suffered side effects now ((with consultants. Ok)) I have Rivaroxoban now no weekly blood tests feel better. Just thought I’d impart information

• posted by Nana
    on

Fredforest, it’s probably because you’re eating more vegetables. Green veg contain a lot of Vitamin K which impacts on Warfarin’s effectiveness (if you have an accident or need surgery you are given Vitamin K to counteract the warfarin). My INR drops when I am eating well and goes up when I eat rubbish.

• posted by Fredforest
    on

Hi, well back today and INR is on the way up. More Wafarin, up to an average of 4.8 mg from today.

@nana not sure that the veggies are a problem, I have not taken to eating the bad guys for Warfarin any more than I did before, I love my greens but have been assiduously avoiding them for years. Just have to live with it I suppose.

• posted by aster
    on

Hi. I’m new to the bsd; just finished reading the book.

I have an artificial aortic valve due to a congenital abnormality with my original one. I take various meds – one for blood pressure (mine’s not high, but I’m supposed to keep it lower than normal), a diuretic (less strain on the heart), low-dosage aspirin, a statin (GP’s idea, as he thinks my cholesterol’s a bit high) and Warfarin.

I’m 5’6″ and currently 156lbs, eat a lot of takeaways and drink too much wine.

I haven’t got diabetes and haven’t been told I’m pre-diabetic, but I think I need to change my eating habits while that’s still true. I may just need to go more Mediterranean 🙂

Why do I need to see my GP before making changes to my diet? I don’t think I’d get the response I need. His idea of reducing my cholesterol was to put me on statins, even though I’d resisted for years without it getting worse. His latest suggestion was to reduce my dairy intake – I have one 18g slice of Bavarian smoked cheese a day, I don’t drink milk, I dislike foods with cream in them and always seem to end up throwing eggs away because they’re out of date.

Should I talk to my Warfarin nurse, instead?

• posted by SUE2000
    on

I decided to come off of Warfin I now take rivaroxaban. If you are prediabetic you have a wonderful opportunity to save yourself from constant testing. Yes, changing your diet is essential if you don’t have a diabetic nurse to talk too. Asking your Dr to reference you to a dietitian. Cut cakes, bread, white rice, and root vegetables from your diet. Look at lchf diets on internet . I changed my medication, and throw away diabetic tablets side effects where huge. Plenty of sites to help you this one Diet Doctor both brill and free. Most people I know worked it out by themselves learning from others.

• posted by SUE2000
    on

PS should add have an amazing diabetic nurse called Jo at my surgery who is open minded and very helpful. You need a person like that to succeed.

• posted by aster
    on

Thanks SUE2000. I’m not pre-diabetic myself, but have been made aware of the potential awfulness of type 2 diabetes by the situation of my sister’s husband. He’s got type 2 and, to date, has lost all feeling in his fingers and toes, gone blind and had a below-the-knee leg amputation. Oh, and he goes to dialysis three times a week.

For myself, I lost 19lbs in 2013, with Weight Watchers, but it’s all crept back on. I was looking for something that would encourage a lifestyle change.

My main question, though, still remains – how will it help to talk to a GP who thinks a low-fat diet and ever more medication is the way forward?

• posted by SUE2000
    on

My diabetic nurse said something I always remember which did help me…..you must not compare your self with other people. Each one of us is an individual no one more so when their changing diet. She says you can get a roomful of people no diet will work for all of them… Its how much you want to do it, how much you need to do it, and most importantly how long you want to peeling your life. All the advice in the world wont work, if the person receiving it doesent follow it. Bending the rules OK breaking them no.

• posted by SUE2000
    on

PS again sorry I did not talk GP I talked nurse much more sense .

• posted by ay caramba
    on

SUE2000……..your diabetic nurse speaks wise words.

Keep finding some gems on the forum.

Keep posting.

• posted by Fredforest
    on

Just an update, and possibly a warning in light of a report in today’s MoS that Michael is conducting a trial around fish oils.

My recent INR test, my 8 weekly on Thursday, showed that my INR level had shot up to 3.6 from 2.2 in August, that was up from the 2.1 for the last few tests. The only difference in my diet are the Cod liver oil with vitamin D capsules I have been taking for the last couple of months.

If Michael reads this blog I would be interested to know his opinion.

• posted by shalimar
    on

What is MoS and what is INR??

• posted by Fredforest
    on

MoS = Mail on Sunday. INR is a measure of blood thiness. Warfarin causes your blood to not form clots.

• posted by shalimar
    on

I checked it online ….. is this paper for Australia, UK ???? Not sure there are any stories in there that i even want to read the headlines about …. totally not interested in the entertainment biz. Actually i’ve pretty much stopped watching even TV news … but that is beside the point.

I’m i Canada …

Fish Oils …. all i know about that is that the Omega 3’s are the good ones.

Going to do a search on the MoS ….. actually got the story you refer to …. i just search Michael Mosley fish oils.

Ah well …. when i finish my current fish oils …. i will check back.

Like most of the supplements i take, when i remember, they actually don’t cost THAT much …. and while they may not do much … i don’t think they hurt anything much either.

What about the PLACEBO effect ……… they work somewhat if you believe they work??????? 🙂

• posted by shalimar
    on

FROM article …. link below :

But in a trial conducted for Trust Me by researchers at University College, London, those volunteers who took turmeric pills experienced no such boost to their body’s cancer-fighting capabilities.

By contrast, those who took a teaspoon of turmeric powder every day – by mixing it into yogurt or a glass of warm milk – saw a cancer-fighting gene in their cells become more active.

Dr Mosley said: “Turmeric seems to work if you take it with fatty foods and if you cook with it, but not if you just take it in the form of a supplement.”

INteresting on TURMERIC
    https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/1940853/fish-oil-pills-taken-by-millions-of-brits-could-be-completely-useless-says-bbc-health-expert/

Maybe you should take the fish oils with fatty meal too???

• posted by Paramount
    on

Hi ive been on the 800 diet since 4 January and my clothes are getting big however, I’m on warfarin and my INR has gone down three weeks runnings and i feel unwell. I’m also administering steriod eye drops maybe that could be the culprit. What should i do keep going with the diet. Kind regards Maxine

Please log in or register to post a reply.